WHAT?! SOLDER My MOBO?!?!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by fastvfr, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    I just couldn't believe it. I had to read these posts twice.

Someone has posted ( I think it was over in the Die-Hard Modder's forum) about soldering in a rheostat to the P4C800-E Deluxe's power circuit in order to combat "Voltage Droop".

???

I don't know what to make of this. Not to start a flame war, but...um....I haven't noticed anything of the sort on my system.

And besides, a Potentiometer adds nothing to a system, but allows you to dial down current.

Plus, the boards' warranties would be done for with any of this sort of tampering.

Not to mention the fact that once you've got homemade pigtails running hither and yon across it, would tend to make it more difficult to RMA a faulty board!

You would certainly be able to RMA a MOBO with a faulty power circuit that caused your PC to fail, reboot, ect., though, so why waste $177 perfectly good dollars?

I guess that is my main question.

Anyone got any views on this phenomenon?

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  2. ClubScout

ClubScout Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850

Man... It is a good thing you didn't drop this waste of space off IN the "Die Hard Overclocking and Case Modifications" forum; that just would have been MORE embarassing. I don't know how you wandered in their, but judging by your selection of hardware, you're best suited to the vanilla. You buy what your friends and non-specialized hobbyists TELL you to buy. We buy based on research, principals, and industry news. You thought Prescott would be the hot shat. Probably didn't wait a week until a few reviews were out. (mistake) I seriously doubt overclocking your hardware has even crossed your mind. So why were you in that forum? IF you could manage to keep your Pcott at a stable 55*C at full load on air, and you can't, you would find out that the reason people told you to buy the P4C800-E Deluxe is that it is the best overclocking board on the market. (after Modding) Without the mod (and that hideous E chip) you would max out at 3.22 at 1.725Vcore stable. This is because under load, the Vcore droops below the chosen Voltage in the bios, as well as what the cpu needs to remain stable. You also don't want to get over 1.75Vcore in fear of SNDS. So, what's you're option? Ta-da!!! Vdroop mod.

Look... You're obviously not very old, have NOT actually done any work to your computer yourself, and have trouble grasping simple concepts.

After a few years of pure tech work, and solid hardware knowledge, you may return to that forum. Until then, please refrain from using such phrases as "run hither and yon", and spewing other nonsensical posts. A mod should delete this thread.

Doh!!! Almost forgot... How's that Prescott treatin' ya? lol. Fries up eggs like a champ I'll bet.

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  3. JRS

JRS Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 6800GT @ 380, 1050
    Uh Clubscout, did you really need to go off on one there? All fastvfr was saying is that he wouldn't want to start soldering bits to his mobo...

Frankly, I wouldn't either. My last Intel setup was plenty good enough without doing silly stuff to it.

4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Adding resistors will result in increased voltage if done correctly, that's how voltmods are done... there's nothing wrong with modding your board as long as you know what you're doing. If you're going to overclock you're already risking your equipment, I don't think there's some line crossed where minor mods are somehow excessive...

5. JRS

JRS Member

GPU:
    I know that. But to infer that a guy has "trouble grasping simple concepts" is a bit much. That was more what I was taking issue with rather than the issue of volt-modding.

6. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I was responding to the original post...

7. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Re: Re: WHAT?! SOLDER My MOBO?!?!

Let's leaving the moderating to the mods, shall we? We were all newbies once, its not a crime...

8. ClubScout

ClubScout Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    You're right. Sorry VFR, was having kind of a ****ty day yesterday and unfortunately, you caught the brunt.

At any rate. There is "plenty good" and then there is "Holy Sh*t!". I like the latter. Since I've been building PC's, Servers, and workstations for the last 8 years, I feel comfortable doing work to my goods.

Here's what I don't understand. People who are afraid of committing to OC'ing always hide behind claims like, It greatly reduces the life of your hardware, and, you'll fry your chip. OK. How long do you plan on using that P3 800? I upgrade every year. Last sept. I bought a Soyo P4X400 D. U. P. and P4 2.4B. Last month I got the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and 2.8C. I got the 9600XT for Christmas and that may not make it through June. The point is this. Would you rather get the best bang for your buck while you own your goods? Or would you feel better knowing that you had another 9 years left on your old Proc. you just replaced? Ok.

9. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Some people do plan to keep their systems for a couple years, and I have killed a number of things after they were OCed for a year, and some unfortunates even lose them after a few months. Then there also is the fact that often overclocks do not yeild you all that much. Even with your system heavily overclocked, your FPS may only go up 25% or so... now that's fine if you're into it, but I think a decent argument could be made that its not worth the risk. I overclock because I think its fun, mostly... its a hobby, really.

10. JRS

JRS Member

GPU:
    I managed to kill a T-Bred 2600+ by running it constantly at 2614mhz@1.95V for a year - that was in the realm of "Holy Sh**!" perf. wise. Being a little more sensible with my current setup, as the chip has to last a while. Plus, at 2.27ghz it's still comfortably faster than the old 32bit chip!

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Yeah, 64 thrases the XP... you don't need to clock them even nearly as high...

12. ClubScout

ClubScout Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4850
    A 25% boost in FPS is a bit generous. After I did a CPU OC and Timing optimization, I only got about a 15% boost... Then I began OC'ing the 9600XT. That's where you'll see the diff. On stock maps in COD I never drop below 62FPS Synced. On Bocage, 45, until I walk straight down the bush rows... Then forget it.

13. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    No offense taken, ClubScout; but you really ought to control your bad days better, friend...

I did several months of research when buying the components I have installed,

I bought these parts to perform their duties as well as possible, w/o oc'ing, and I selected the Prescott proc knowing of both its abilities and limitations. I have a 2.6C as well, and I am in the process of feeling out the Pentium 5 for myself.

If you thought I should be embarrassed by this post, then that reflects badly only on you. I see from your later posts in this thread that you consider yourself 'bleeding edge' and don't mind frying a few hundred dollars' worth of components if that is the cost of scoring a few more PC or 3D Marks...and that's fine. Lots of my friends do the same thing.

But I buy hardware that can suit my purposes without running it at twice its normal opperating temperature. And in that fashion I can sell this vid card, memory or processor to a client with full knowledge that it is a GENTLY used component, and has not been flogged by someone who owns an FX5200 but wants FX5950 results..

I have been doing PC builds and repairs here in SW Oregon for about three years now, and I have yet to disappoint a customer. I made over $200 yesterday evening alone, and $300 the day before...four jobs, five C notes, and several new referrals. Plus--NO Pointy-Haired boss, NO Timecard to punch, and NO schedule other than my own!

So you might want to consider keeping your nastiness level down just a bit before posting here...after all, not everyone has performance anxiety when they see a 3DMark2003 score ten points higher than the one they bragged about. Some of us just want to be able to play their games at a decent framerate, for year after year without an excessive cash outlay. You can afford more new games this way, too!

If you've nothing nice to say...STFU!:D

Regards,

FastVFR

PS. I am thirty-five and grasp complex subjects quite well, thank you. It simply occurred to me that if you need to add to what a top-flight board maker offers for voltage reg circuitry, you're really getting into the Ridiculous Zone, and ought to consider a complete upgrade rather than trying to push your rig even farther into the Land Of Diminishinbg Returns.

If you want benchmark scores like those from an Athlon 64 FX-53, why not just get one instead of wasting a perfectly good MOBO?!

That was the exception I took to your VMod posts.

14. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Okay, then... we have one pro and con vote for hardware modding, the end. I'm closing this thread... I'll just note, though, that one can disagree with another's practices without acting like they're completely insane. In this case, there are surely perfectly reasonable motivations for going in either direction....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.