1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size and res monitor do you guys use for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ohnooze, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I went from a 4k screen (Asus PB287Q) to an Acer Predator X34. Whislt gaming on the 4K screen things looked nice but it wasn't really "different" if you get me. Also having to run in lower resolutions looked bad and all round blury, which is not something i enjoyed. However moving to the Acer i have had improved performance since it's less pixels, a nice curved IPS screen and ultra-wide is so frigging cool (provided a game supports it...looking at you Blizzard :finger:).

Give it a couple more years and 4K will be worth moving too but for me personally I didn't find the jump that great for gaming, would have been a nice size to do visual work on though.

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    40" Samsung...1080p for desktop and movies, dsr 1440 for games, might go for lg ultrawide next year.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    For gaming, I use a 24" 144Hz Asus VG248QE. (1080p)

For movies/etc (occasional games), I use a 43" VIZIO M43C1 4KTV. It has one port capable of 2160p @60hz. Looks really nice for stuff like The Witcher 3 but it's no comparison to the experience of using a monitor built for gaming. Input lag alone is significantly different. At 24", 1080p still looks pretty good anyways.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your issue is that no vizio 4K tv does 4:4:4.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    I have a similar opinion. It looks nice, but people often forget about the average performance of the average system.

I'm aware I have a 1080GTX but honestly, I bought it so I could crank stuff up at 1080p for excessive framerates instead of playing 4K.

If input lag is a concern for you... 4K these days still isn't an option imo. I have yet to try GSync or FreeSync, but I'm skeptical. Anything that tries to sync refreshrate must have some sort of added latency inherent to ... well what syncing does.

What I would like to see in the future is 1440p monitors that scale 720p in a different way, essentially make every 4 pixels a single pixel on 720p, making it scale visually as nicely as a CRT.

It would make casual SP gaming at 1440p an option while maintaining a decent sharpness/crispness to 720p for more competitive MP games.

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I have my computer on a 55" 1080p tv, and could never go back to a monitor. Its just too epic. I even sacrificed dual screens. Its just worth it. Although it does need to be setup right. Meaning, you need to be close enough for text and have a comfy couch that is, well, comfortable to rest your arm down and move a mouse for long periods of time. I use a large hard mouse pad and it does the trick nicely.

Soon as I have some extra money, I will be jumping on a 65" 4k tv. There are some models out right now that support a native 120hz refresh rate @1080p which is awesome. Let the tv upscale and then just use downsampling. It will help significantly with input lag and motion blur.

Don't know if you already mentioned, but what is your budget?

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Well I think it's probably more important if OP gives us:

• Use case: Competitive Gaming VS Casual
    • Budget

If your use case is competitive I'd stick with high Hz 1080p as you want your framerate to get up to 120/144 as much as possible.

@DerSchniffles I tried my 48 inch TV once for Crysis, my first reaction was:

"Dude this is EPIC!!"

Moves mouse*

Nvm back to 1080p 120 native Hz, unbearable input lag (for me at least). This experience did inspire me to get a bigger 27'' monitor though.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Once you get used to 27" you can't go back. The real fun starting at 1440p.

For Gaming purposes, the best you can get right now is 27" 1440p 144Hz screens. It might start at around 350$, if you add freeSync/G-Sync and IPS Panel, it ges to 700$. Note: you don't need IPS for gaming.

9. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have LG 34" Curved 21.9 @ 3440x1440 60hz., and it's perfect. Ultra wide is the way to go for gaming. I'll soon be getting the 38" ultra wide. No better way to game, in my opinion.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    I'm going to be blunt, but no offense intended to you:

It's bold statements such as that that are wrong imo in terms of suggestions towards people. Instead of being a salesman we should provide actual feedback and discuss ups and downs on forums.

Like I said it boils down to 1) Use Case and 2) Budget.

And I put Use Case in bold for a reason. I spent 15 years (I stopped now) playing FPS's, going to LAN's, ... from a competitive standpoint and I can tell you for the people that play well and take it serious your statement can be COMPLETELY negated by:

"The real fun starts at 120Hz and a constant 120 fps (or 144Hz / 144 fps)."

And a constant 120/144 fps on 1440p requires a monster of a PC, not even my 1080GTX can pull it off in some newer titles.

Same way someone in the creative industry doesn't need 120 Hz for his work but an accurate color representation.

Use Case people, Use case.

/END RANT

So simply put for Ohnooze:

• What games do you play?
    • Do you play for fun? Do you play to win?
    • What do you value more: Image quality? Fluidity / Smooth Gameplay / Reduced Latency?

11. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    C'mon Freesync is 200€ cheaper for equivalent panels, although i don't know if it stands up to G-Sync.

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I would wait. If you plan to play at a lower resolution just get a lower res monitor. Games work but in lower resolutions can look weird. Hell, as much as I like my XB280HK, I really want to downgrade my res to something like the 27" Predator XB1 or X34 (although the X34 might be too large for my desk). Honestly 4K gaming isn't as amazing as the industry seems to portray as it also takes a bit of money and decent hardware. If I were you I'd just get a 1440p monitor as that is the sweet spot right now.

13. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    34" Asus pg348q 3440x1440@100hz

And after using 2560x1440@60 27" for years, this blew me out of the water.
    When you go ultrawide, you don't go back..

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    That is not true. Synchronizing in this case means immediately drawing a frame onto the display when it's done rendering rather than tearing it in (VSync off) or waiting for the next refresh (VSync on). The monitor knows the next frame is being drawn when the hold period is up (determined through a blanking period sent by pixels over a pixel clock (hundreds of MHz). Actually, you get the latency of VSync off and the smoothness of VSync on @ FPS = refresh rate. Skepticism regarding the two technologies is thus not warranted.

There really is no downside to this method of synchronization. The real downside is having the monitor refresh at fixed intervals in the first place, while the GPU was left to try and synchronize to the monitor (which DOES add latency and visual artifacts). But, anyways, that had to be the case with CRT monitors which cannot variably refresh due to very rapid pixel decay (~1ms).

15. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 290 tri-x
    Well I play a lot of Rainbow 6 and WoW at the moment. I enjoy FPSs and MMO generally. I'm old and competitive gameplay is probably the least important thing in my life. I do care about picture quality and don't want an obvious input lag issue.

I used to use a Dell ultra sharp 1440p set a few years ago and really liked it. Sold it when I started using this 4K tv because it does a really great job of upscaling 1080 to 4k. But the wife kind of wants her TV back so....

EDIT: I am on a budget and was wanting to spend around $300. I know it's not much but it is what it is... :(

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    I read up a bit on them and the difference is neglect-able at medium framerates but it seems at higher framerates, no vsync still wins out. Which is what the more hardcore, competitive gamer will be running. On LAN's you often saw people running CSGO in the 300 fps range if not more.

It does look like a massive improvement over Vsync though (far more consistent results).

It's something I personally would consider for SP games in my case then.

@Ohnooze

At that price range you'll have to basically make a choice and ditch 1 thing in favor for the other, so no high Hz IPS panel with G or Freesync, a lower size, .... But it is possible to get something fairly decent.

When I bought my monitor I made a list of monitors that interested me within my budget (and why) and looked up in depth reviews and then made my choice.

There's no point in me giving advice about IPS and accurate color representation (I'm colorblind so go figure) but as far as latency goes, 1 ms GTG isn't what you should look at with reviews, but rather worst case scenario: Black to black (time it takes for a pixel to go from Black to white and back to Black). Usually the monitor with the lowest BTB latency will have a far more consistent latency across the board.

The difference can be quite big at times. A monitor can be 1 ms GTG and still get over 10 ms with BTB.

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    I happily went back to 16:9 coming from a BenQ XR3501 144hz ultrawide monitor.
    Currently using a BenQ XL2730Z 1440p/144hz.

There isn't currently any ultrawide i might consider going back to, so i'll wait till there is.

18. Ohnooze

Ohnooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 290 tri-x
    This is what I'm looking at at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-27-led-hd-monitor-black/1097389.p?skuId=1097389&productCategoryId=pcmcat143700050048

BenQ - 27"
    Model: GW2765HT

Panel
    Screen Size 27"W
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Resolution (max.) 2560x1440
    Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.2331
    Brightness (typ.) 350 cd/***13217;
    Native Contrast ( typ. ) 1000:1
    DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) (typ.) 20M:1
    Panel Type IPS
    Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10) 178°/178°
    Response Time(Tr+Tf) typ. 4ms(GTG)
    Display Colors 1.07 Billion
    Color Gamut 100% sRGB
    Regulations
    TCO 6.0
    Audio/Video Inputs/Outputs
    Input Connector D-sub / DVI-DL / DP / HDMI / Headphone jack / Audio-in
    Speaker 1Wx2
    Dimensions & Weight
    CTN Dimensions (HxWxD mm) 487x748x224
    Dimensions(HxWxD mm) 555x641x244
    Dimensions with Wall Mount (HxWxD mm) 379x641x56
    Net Weight (kg) 6.9
    Gross Weight (kg) 9
    Power
    Power Supply (90~264 AC) Built-in
    Power saving mode <0.5W
    Power Consumption (Base on Energy star ) 32W
    Special Features
    ZeroFlicker Technology Yes
    Senseye® Senseye 3
    AMA Yes
    Windows® 8 Compatible Yes
    HDCP Yes
    Color Temperature Yes
    OSD Language Yes
    VESA Wall Mounting Yes
    Swivel (left/right) 160°/160°
    Tilt (down/up) -5°/20°
    Height Adjustment (mm) 130mm
    Kensington Lock Yes
    Windows® 8.1 Compatible Yes
    Included Accessories
    Signal Cable VGA / HDMI 1.4 / DP 1.2 (1.5m)
    EnergyStar6.0 Yes

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    A first google search shows results of 30+ ms latency in worst case scenarios. Like I said, it's best to first gauge what you want most (considering its an IPS I assume you prefer image quality) and then make a list of monitors that fit your budget and compare some reviews.

20. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    25-27" is about optimal size for me sitting about 24" from the monitor at my desk.