What reason to go to Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, Aug 5, 2022.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I found vanilla W10 just as convoluted and different when i went from W7, so i personalised it, same for W11. I run Start 11 and to be honest it looks and acts like W10 but with all the advantages noted above.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    replacing the bloody start menu is a given on 10 and 11, but 11's probably the better go to even on unsupported hardware thanks to all the extra improvements.

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Question. Can you permanently move the taskbar from the bottom of the screen to the right of the screen? Because I have a Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor, and I play a lot of my games in windowed borderless, run them at 3440x1440 and then use the right partition of the screen for whatever it may be, Discord, YouTube, Netflix etc.

Can you move the taskbar from the bottom of the screen to the right side of the screen is basically what I'm asking?

4. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    got this from an online search so cant confirm if it still works

How do I get the taskbar on the right side Windows 11?

Double-click the Settings binary key. Under the “Value data” section, in the second row and the sixth column, click the 03 value, press the Delete key, and replace the value with 01 to move the Windows 11 Taskbar at the top of the screen. Change the 03 value to 02 to move the Taskbar on the right side of the screen.

https://pureinfotech.com/move-taskbar-top-side-windows-11/

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does right clicking anything on the desktop work yet?

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Worked all the time for me in windows 11.
    Have 6 pc's in my house. 3x windows 11 and 2x windows 10 and one Ubuntu server.

Every pc is working great, so I guess windows 11 is good for me and my kids :)

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Has always worked

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    Feels snappier, I like the look, handles HDR alot better then Win 10 for me, and the auto HDR with xbox game bar is awesome with short cut keys, and using start is back for win 11 removes the stupid extra needed thinks of the extra menus to do simple task. I like the start menu in the middle of my 49 inch super wide as well. I waited quite a long time before I completely switched over. Matured drivers, bios, and OS updates.

But I can say, gaming does feel smoother in new games. Old games run exactly the same. And its nice being ready for direct storage.

-Tj- likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I hate the W11 UI. I have it on my work laptop.

Previously had W10 for work and home, I still am chugging along on W7Pro.

For my next PC build, I will just go LTSC with the old W2K UI for pure speed.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6600 XT
    As of yesterday, 11 22H2 felt overall slower for me than the latest 11 insider dev. Installed 10 LTSC a bit ago and it's notably more responsive than both with just desktop work and installing stuff.

Oculus (V46 PTC) on the latest insider was half-broken. Synth Riders through Oculus worked seemingly perfectly, but I don't know if it's just because it's light on resources. Beat Saber through Steam with Oculus runtime (-vrmode oculus) was a stuttery-mess. City Car Driving through Steam with Oculus runtime had terrible performance without being CPU or GPU-limited. Windowed optimizations and HAGS were disabled.

I can't rule-out if Oculus's issues were related to it, NV driver 530 from WU, or insider dev build, but I'll be seeing how they fare on 10 LTSC at some point though.

11. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/AiO
    auto hdr and calibration :)

12. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600
    dx12.2 mark in dxdiag lol

Serotonin likes this.
  13. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I haven't used the default Windows menu since Windows 2003. I always use Open Shell, before it was the Classic Shell. The classic start menu is the best for me. And Explorer Patcher is a must for Windows 11 stupid design choices. I keep a consistent experience since Windows 2003 like this.

14. jilionaski

jilionaski New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    In fact, I don't even know what to say first. I made a mistake when I moved to a newer Windows version. Basically, upgrading to Windows 11, whether it is a working system upgrade or a clean install, you will notice some annoying features like the context menu.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    this lol.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If you can get it as a free upgrade there's no need to stick with 10 unless your running out of date hardware.

pegasus1 likes this.
  17. TimmyP

TimmyP Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Windows 10 hdr always on looks better than Windows 11 auto-hdr on my display. Sans some SDR content which is easy to deal with.

18. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/AiO
    honestly i switched because the window snapping feature win 11 has. just easier for my 32:9 monitor. color looks more vibrant on win10

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I've got two general purpose rigs still on W10 and my gaming laptop and gaming PC on W11, I much prefere W11 for every aspect.
    I run Start 10/11 on all four rigs.

Chastity likes this.
  20. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    How so, Im using the same key i used for windows 10 which is the key i got when i bought windows 7.

pegasus1 likes this.
  21. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    We're all being datamined by MS, who sells data to other companies and governments.

Other companies do this too.

22. jilionaski

jilionaski New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It makes you have to click the mouse unnecessarily, the clunky taskbar. For my work, this is inconvenient, so it was worth finding a more suitable reddit windows key. In this case, everything familiar will remain while adding new elements. In some cases, it may help to fix bugs in work.

23. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    people worried about data collection and at the same time post their entire lives on social media.

sykozis likes this.
  24. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    LOL .... I just installed Win10 yesterday from my 7 setup.

Reality|Bites likes this.
  25. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    No I have it set up just like I want, I am using Stardock [Start 10] for start menu ect, and oldnewexplorer and have a awesome black theme setup but I'm loving it actually just had to tweak till i was happy. All good though no crashing ect. Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC Office 2021 en-US OCT 2022 os build 19044.2364 Nice and snappy I'm happy. I thought about Pro but just to much crap I don't use. I updated my Asus CHVII 470x to the newest Bio's also it did wonders for my ram big difference I was still on the original bios it shipped with in 2018 I think so ya very nice.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Reality|Bites likes this.
  26. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    So you are still on Win7? Did you run updates since W10 got released? :D
    Do you use .Net Redistributables? Visual C++?
    Use Wireshark and see for yourself ...

At least on W10/11 telemetry can be disabled by a few clicks within the OS.
    EDIT: ... and it's documented very well.