What NEW motherboard to get if you want a lot of PCIe lanes?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by boe, Oct 22, 2017.

1. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    I'd love to see some gaming motherboard and intel CPUs that have more PCIe lanes. I don't want to spend $1200 on a processor and $500 on a motherboard just to get a fast processor with 40 pcie lanes. I have a 1080ti 16x, 4port 10gb nic 8x and a Broadcom storage controller 8x - where is the love Intel? I'd love to be able to buy a processor like the i7-8700k but have all the PCIe lanes I need for my cards. I'd rather have a 3.5GHz 4 core than a 2.2GHz 16 core.

Whatever I get will have to have 2 on board nics and a great onboard sound and wifi (I do a lot of testing and use up a lot of space for slots with my cards). I currently have a z170 g1 gaming but need to build another computer and hate to use 2 or 3 year old tech.

2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    If you buy the asrock fatality gaming i7 you get a 10gb nic included. But the cpu lanes are only 16x on coffee lake you would have to run gpu in 8x with storage controller in 8x. (if you need that storage controller, but it has lots of sata ports and 3x m.2 full speed so maybe you don't need it) The chipset got 24 lanes but you only use x4 from that.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/A2V6MxHvbbrlcPBE3
    Getting cpu tomorrow (8700k) so i can tell how it is.
    Other option is x299 with a 7820x and above.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  3. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - I need 4 10gb ports in addition to 2 1gb nics. I'll be putting in the 9460-6i. My current i7 4 core 4ghz processor is plenty fast enough for the computing - I just really need more lanes or a z370 with a plx switch on board.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    Those aren't he average consumer level needs. Don't expect any gaming level hardware to meet that ever

5. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    I are you saying I'm abnormal!?! You just entered my safe space!

6. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    If you get the mb i linked you get 2x 1gb lan and a 10gb lan onboard. If you set your gpu to 8x it should be 8x left for your nic card and you can use a 4x from chipset to controller card if it's enough. If not you need to move on to hedt x299 (Or even a older x99 with a 6850/6900 or something).
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7/index.asp

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - I'll check it out. I was considering the X299 AORUS gaming 9 if I couldn't find a z370 with plx.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
  9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD / NVIDIA
    Threadripper with 64 PCI lanes would be enough?

10. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    great price - only 1 nic unfortunately, my current motherboard has me spoiled but it is too old to buy a second.

This is 2017 for goodness sakes. This reminds me of when motherboards had one vesa slot and a bunch of crappy ISA slots - however back then there weren't as many high speed raid controllers, network adapters etc.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    So you need two nics'? Man, never had a need for more than one....You will have to come off your wallet then and peel off the hundreds.

12. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Yeah - I need 2 1Gbit ports and 4 10GB ports and 1 wifi.

13. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    At this point I'd love a Z370 motherboard with a PLX chip but I can't find any of those for sale.