What monitor to buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by sakiboj, Sep 11, 2017.

1. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    I bought asus pg348q and it had faulty hdmi port so had to return it and now I have some questions:

1. is there high difference between 100hz and 144hz? (i dont play competitive fps games)
    2. if I am getting 144hz monitor does it need to have gsync to avoid screen tearing?
    3. does gsync just help with screen tearing or it is adding some smoothnes to gameplay?
    4. is there huge difference between TN and IPS panel?
    5. should i wait for asus pg35va? 200hz, hdr, quantum dot, price who knows, probably over 2000€

I want some monitor with 1440p and more that 60hz. I tried this asus pg348q and ultrawide is beautifull :)

Can you guys help me with these questions and recommend me some 27" or higher " monitor? Preferably IPS panel.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    GSync (and FreeSync) replaces Vsync when you game within their respective FPS range. It allows for much lower latency, and smoothness of frames. Unfortunately, NVIDIA makes it a premium cost to get their GSync solution.

As for TN vs IPS, the IPS panel will offer a richer visual experience in regards to color, and have better viewing angles. However, TN panels have come a long way, and can be just as good as a decent IPS panel. TN panel makers have also come up with tricks with the backlighting to alleviate the issue with TN viewing angles. (Like my Samsung UE510) With 1 Billion colors on both, I don't think you will notice a big difference, and you can save some $$$ using a TN panel.

I suggest a nice 1440p panel if you are looking for GSync capabilities. Ultrawide is up to preference. And try to stay in budget. :)

3. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    Can You recommend me some monitors to checkout? Ones with Gsync :)

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

5. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    Unfortunately I bought 1080ti and now need gsync monitor :(

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Yeah, I'm looking for one as well but would prefer to stick to 1080p? IPS, low latency, 144 - 240Hz and a built in LUT with 10 bit if such a display exists.

Unless I get a display purely for gaming and another for graphic work only.

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Why didn't you get a replacement monitor for the one you returned? Seems a bit stupid to buy a monitor like that, return it for a broken HDMI port and choose not to take a replacement. You even said it's beautiful and you choose not to take a new replacement monitor, what gives?

1. Depends on the user. Some might see it as a high difference and others might not. If you don't play competitive then you might not "need" it. Doesn't make it any less useful though.
    2. In general - Yes
    3. Both - Gsync adjusts the monitor's refresh rate to match a game's framerate.
    4. Yes http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ips-vs-tn-vs-va-gaming-performance-colour-explained-2948955
    5. If you're ready to pay over 2k and possibly wait ~6 months, sure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  9. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    That store didnt act proffesionaly and it took 5 days for monitor to arrive to them and now they have shown me that red light under monitor is broken.

10. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Even more reason for them to send you a completely new one. Have they offered to do that? If they don't offer you a new one then opt to get your money back and buy the monitor from another store.

11. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    Nope, I am waiting for a week and all they say is that I will be informed. I dont want to have anything with them anymore.

12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    The hell? What store is that? They should give you info straight away regarding if they're going to send it to be repaired or if they'll send you a new one or ask you if you'd want to get your money back, at least that's how my local shops handle such stuff. You should probably just call or mail them and tell them you want your money back and that's it. Seems a bit unprofessional to me...

13. sakiboj

sakiboj Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti gaming x
    They are called gigatron and they are from Serbia as am I. They are working with some nepo service and they are very unproffesinal, almost a week and they cant answer me and they even brake that red glass which forms ROG logo on desk.

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    He doesn't play games guys. He doesn't need a more then 100hz. Also have you thought about getting 4k pc mon. I would take 4k display out of any of these ugly big no real estate. gl

15. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    OP not play FPS games but he play games.

Using 4K is a game killer and not everyone need that too big workplace.

100hz and above helping a lot in any kind of games. Less blur and removing tearing.

You never use any 100hz and above monitor before, you cannot know the differences on it. Even Windows cursor also different smoothness when using 100hz and above monitor.

You love 4K and even want 8K now. But not means 1080p, 1440p is crap or ugly. Please stop your comment on nearly every thread by mentioning 4K is great and where others lower resolution is rubbish.

Different people different need. Want recommended 4K also comment it politely with meaningful information.