What monitor should I buy?!!

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by SexyGinger, Nov 17, 2015.

1. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    Story: Looking to get a good monitor for computer gaming. I just upgraded my system with 16gb of ram and a R9 390x Strix graphics card. I'd like a 4k monitor but I'm just looking for the best monitor out there for my budget.

Budget: around $500 to $800 max!

Any opinions?? Thanks!

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Anything you looking for in particular? 1ms response time? Specific display panel? Freesync included?

3. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    All I've had so far have been regular HD 60hz monitors. I forgot what model i have now but it's an Asus 30 inch. I was looking at some 144hz monitors and heard great things about it. I'm looking at the Acer XB270HU right now. It's not a 4k though does that really matter when playing Fallout 4 or some of the newer games?

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    4K will give you a lot more image quality but requires a so much more stronger GPU.

144Hz is a different ballpark entirely however, requiring probably around triple the power you need for 60fps.

144Hz however is just awesome for when you do actually have 144fps in the game you're playing, it feels very fluid.

5. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    With 4k monitors, can you scale down to 2k and 1080p? Stupid question I suppose. It'll take whatever output you send to it as long as it's not above 4k lol

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    With modern displays you don't want them running at anything but the native resolution because scaling will make the image blurry. They have a set number of physical pixels, unlike the past with CRTs when that wasn't a problem.

I don't recommend a 4K display for the near future because you're not going to find one that's an IPS or PLS panel, and even if you did the amount of power it takes for "4K" (typically 3840x2160) is ridonkulous. You'll want to aim for 1440p which leaves pretty much all options open. I believe at 1440p there's even 144Hz IPS monitors available.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    Ok. Thank you for the info! I was looking at 4k benchmarks and just to get playable fps from Fallout, you need to have the greatest computer that there is lol. I'll look at some 1440p monitors. Thanks again!

8. Vipu2

Vipu2 Master Guru

GPU:
    1070ti
    Get some of those new 1440p, 144hz+, gsync/freesync, ips screens and you dont need to get new screen for years and you will be happy with it for sure!

9. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    Thanks, Vipu2! Does anyone have a suggestion on which one?

10. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix

11. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    2160p will scale 1080p perfectly.

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Why do you want a G-Sync monitor when you're running an AMD GPU? You should be looking at Freesync panels. Your best bet with that card would be a nice 2560x1440p screen, or a 3440x1440 Ultrawide. If you can try viewing them in a shop first, I personally very much like the Ultrawides, especially the curved ones.

13. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    Oh duh LOL That's why i'm asking people who know what they are talking about. Obviously, I don't. I need to go by a best buy or something and check them out. I doubt they will have demo games running on them though. :-(

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
  15. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix

16. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Also a G-Sync screen.

Here's one worth looking at:

ASUS MG279Q Black 27" $549

+ 1440P
    + 144hz
    + IPS
    + Freesync

Check a few reviews for it, there's other options out there I imagine but that's the best I can see within budget on Newegg. I'm not sure if you're open to using different stores.

Here's a fairly in depth review worth giving a read: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

Edit: Hah, seems you beat me to it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  17. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
    Thank you Darkest! I will prolly have to go with that one regardless. It seems to fit everything! Thanks everyone!

18. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Not a problem! Hope you enjoy your new screen, be sure to get back to us with some impressions.

19. SexyGinger

SexyGinger Member

GPU:
    8GB R9 390X Strix
  20. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti