what Mobo for 2 x 5870, 16x16

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by sonik1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sonik1

sonik1 Member

GPU:
    ATI saphire 5870 1gb x2
    i really need some advise please,

these cards are so fat that i am having problems with running 2 5870 GPU's in crossfire because i have a P6T Mobo and the space is very limited if i put the cards close together in the 1st and 2nd PCI-E slots , there's only about a 1/2 mm gap between the 2 cards :(

the first card cannot breath at all and gets crazy hot after only a few seconds, i thought i killed the card when i tried , it was so hot i couldn't even touch it to remove it , and that was only after minute or so.

if i put the 2nd 5870 in the 3rd PCI-E slot it runs at only 4x which i think is pointless ?,

is there a Mobo available that has sufficient space between the first and second slots for 2 5870 cards ? or a Mobo that will allow the 3rd PCI-E slot to run at 16x ?

2. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    I'm running two 5870's (Sapphire Vapor-X) on an ASUS Rampage III extreme board.
    Works great! and both cards run @ 16x

3. sonik1

sonik1 Member

GPU:
    ATI saphire 5870 1gb x2
    i have been looking at that board , its very pricey , but its tempting me a lot :) looks like a daddy board, cheapest i found is about £270 , i'm wondering if its worth spending that kind of money , do you have a lot of room between the 2 cards ?