What mechanical keyboard?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by head, May 4, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  2. head

head Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    There are a few shops but most of them are like "dedicated" to one brand. I think I touched the blackwidow a while back but I wasn't looking for a keyboard so didn't really pay attention.

I mainly play fps games (call of duty 2). I read that the red ones are the same like the black ones but just more sensitive and that some people press the buttons by accident cuz they are so sensitive.

The Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard CherryMX Brown looks like a very nice keyboard.

I don't really care about the sound, the brown ones look very good but so do the black ones.

I think I will prob go for either the:
    black - Steelseries 6Gv2
    brown - Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Pro
    brown - Cooler Master Storm Trigger

The corsair ones look very good but I have my doubts about the red switches.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Reds are not more sensitive than blacks. They might be easier to press because they're "softer"

4. head

head Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    Sorry my mistake, with more sensitive i means that they are softer. I will check some vids on youtube, see if i get some extra information ow how it "feels".

I thought that the Reds were like activated when you just go over them but i checked and they need have the same Actuation Force as the brown ones.

red: Actuation Force: 45g
    brown: Actuation Force: 45g (55g Peak Force)

Guess the corsair ones are also on the list now :p

5. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX3070ti FE
    I have a K90 atm and i love it. But if i had a choice to swap it for a K70 i definitely would as i don't really use all those macro keys that often and having 100% mechanical keyboard would be nicer. But if you want a macro key set aswell you can always get a K95.
    These corsair mechanical keyboards are really good and I would have to recommend one of those to anyone who is searching for a mechanical keyboard.
    On the other hand i have tried Steelseries 6Gv2 and Razer Black widow(i think that was elite one that i tried) and i can say they are very good and comfortable, though 6Gv2 is a bit strange for me without the wrist rest.
    That's only my "two cents". Go to a shop and try few of them out and pick the one you like. That'll be best.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I have three Red, a Blue and a Black, I prefer the Red and Black for gaming.....Blue, not quite. Abso-freaking-lutely great for typing though, this hoopla over Blue and Brown has got me curious. Went and got myself a FILco Ninja Brown switch so that I can try it out for myself. So far, I'd have to say Browns are great for typing and gaming, I find it better than Blue, though not quite there with Red and Black in terms of gaming. But to me, Browns are better than Blues for gaming, and is just about there with Red and Brown. Anyway, the Majestouch Ninja feels pretty good, build quality is up there with Ducky (or vice versa) The letters/numbers/symbols are on the front of each key, not on top.....takes a little getting use to...
    [​IMG]

7. head

head Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    A friend of me recommended the following keyboards:
    Ducky DK9008 (Black MX)
    Filco Majestouch 2 (Brown MX)
    Das Keyboard Professional Model S (Tactile Soft) (Brown MX)

I think that these keyboards are higher quality compared to the "gaming brand" but there is one big difference...the price.

The Filco one is around 180 euro, it looks great, could prob servive a nuke but im not sure if its worth the 180 euro.

milkeysg:
    If you had to buy a keyboard, what switches would you use?
    You say that the brown ones are better than blue but not as good as the black ones for example. Could you explain why you like the blacks more than the browns.

(i know this could be a personal thing but i would like to know what you think)

I don't think that Das / Ducky have AZERTY keyboards so I don't think that they are an option.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't know about build quality.... my Logitech g710+ is a gaming keyboard but it's a tank. Built like a brick house. Worth looking into if you want some good old Logitech features.

Edit: switches are all about personal preference. I went Brown because I wanted tactile feedback but non clicky. Also didn't want the blue switch noise. If I didn't go Brown I would probably go black. But again, there's no best switch.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. head

head Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I checked the logitech one but it has macro keys / media keys and i don't really need that. I am checking if there is maybe a similar keyboard without those buttons that i don't use. (hopefully for a cheaper price).

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah. I bought the g710+ exactly for those features (macro keys, volume control, media keys, backlight, wrist rest etc) if you want a top notch "more basic" keyboard, you already found it. the Ducky DK9008 (Shine 2) is a brilliant keyboard in every possible way imaginable. buy one now!!! It's reasonably priced as well. my g710+ cost more but I wanted an all rounder. if I didn't want all those things, I would have bought a Shine 2, any day. BTW I've never used a Shine 2, but from what I've read about it (quite a lot of research went into buying my keyboard) I would say it's very highly rated.

Last edited: May 13, 2013

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    As eclap had stated, switches is about personal preference, I find myself liking Red for the soft touch and responsiveness, Black for that heavier feel, but responsive as well.....The Blue's great for typing, I feel like a typing maestro when I'm using my Blue since I make so few mistakes (the Red is a tad too sensitive and is better suited for those touch typist.....which I'm most certainly not). But for gaming, Red and Black for me (again, let me stress it's a personal preference thing).

The Filco MJ2 Cherry Brown is quite a well-built KB, solid and heavy, I believe I can seriously hurt someone if I were to bash his head with this KB. Anyway, I've been putting the Brown thru its paces and I'm happy to report that I'm now able to understand the hoopla over Brown. It's excellent for gaming, and typing on it has a good feel to it. Like Ducky, I'd consider them to be first tier mainstream mech KB (there are enthusiast level KB like HHKB, KMAC, even Topre) and anyone of their KB, from entry level to their high-end ones, are well built, using good quality material and great workmanship.

The three KB on your list are awesome, you can't lose with any of them........I'd suggest Filco or Ducky, that Das KB has a shiny surface that's prone to smudges and fingerprints.....from what I've gathered, and from what I've seen of the KB up close and personal. But other than that, in terms of quality and workmanship, it's there with Filco and Ducky. Man, typing on this Filco KB is a bit of a challenge since the letters/symbols are on the front of the keycaps instead of on top.....still, I find it to be quite fun.

Edit: BTW, these are just my opinions, I don't claim to be an expert on KB....I'm somewhat of a GPU guy actually, so I'm still in the process of learning....

Last edited: May 14, 2013