What Laptop brand to go for ??

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Marri, May 27, 2008.

1. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What Brand Should I be looking into Sony , Toshiba , Dell , HP ?

It's horribly confusing , I need an all rounder laptop... never bought one , so I dont know anything about them..
    Something that runs Vista great , really really really high quality screen (most important)
    Nothing less then a 2.2Ghz Core 2 , atleast an 8400 or higher , blueray...
    Min 2 GB ram , all those network features , bluetooth , wifi etc..

A laptop thats not for gaming but is respected by users in every way..
    Something really high when it comes down to talking quality , no matter what the situatuion..

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Most dell laptops have an option for a bluray drive. And as far as build quality goes the dells are fine. Toshiba could be good if your looking for bluray ready machines too again build quality on the toshiba's arent half bad.

Try this site for specific reviews:

3. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    LG has never had a product recall. I have seen only 1 LG in the past 6 months for genuine hardware failure, the rest being user error or physical damage caused by abuse. You'll pay a little more for it, but it will serve you very well, and it's very unlikely to fail on you (unless you break it, or spill something on it, naturally). Check their website for available options; I'm sure Blu-Ray should be a possibility.

4. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    One word. Asus.

5. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    When it comes to laptop, the brand on the outside of the laptop is irrelevant. Almost all laptops made are made by a handful of companies, most of which you've never heard of.

6. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    LG is nice, Dell and Toshiba are also really good in terms of build quality, they probably lead at it
    Build quality worse runner ups would be Hp at first place and Asus and second
    The new Dell 1525 range (i think ) is appealing, really thin and light, got good specs too
    but for performance, look into the A300 range from Toshiba, you can't beat those HD3650 and 400gig hd's it comes with

7. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    thanks alot guys . those links and names really did help alot...
    Its alot easier for me to get one now...

8. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Lenovo Thinkpad.

I bought a 15 inch T61p, and the thing is awesome! It is so sturdy, I swear I could drop it down my stairs and it would be fine (although I would never try it :) )

I bought this laptop primarily for research and school work, but it did come with an Nvidia FX570M (which is the FX equivalent of an 8600M so I am told). I did install age of conan closed beta on it and it ran fine on low/med settings. Other than that, I haven't played any other game on it (I primarily use Linux, but Vista came installed).

Many people at my college have thinkpads, and all of them have nothing buy positive things to say about them. A professor of mine had a Dell laptop for awhile but bought a ThinkPad and he said he will never go back to Dell (I don't think he had problems with Dell, he just loves his ThinkPad).

I would check out Lenovo's website, they always seem to have sales going on.

www.lenovo.com

EDIT: I see lenovo released an IdeaPad which seems to be more media oriented. They offer a Nvidia 8600M in them. The only problem is they are not customizable (not sure why, maybe because they just came out?).

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  9. flat3sand5s

flat3sand5s Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX260 SLI
    Another vote for Lenovo. I've had several and love them. They are as close bulletproof as you can get. I've inadvertently hammered a couple and they didn't even blink.

10. mcBu113t

mcBu113t Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX @635/1540/1060
    Has it. +1

11. pyo2004

pyo2004 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 4870 X2
    Yeah.... Lenovo T61 is nice. It's however pretty expensive compared to other brands with the same specs.

I don't like my Dell computer. The case is cheap and the screen is horrible. I've compared my Dell screen beside a Sony one, and the Sony one is just more rich in color. My hard drive is also screwy. If I install windows without using the one supplied by Dell, it won't detect my hard drive and I'll get BSOD; if I update my windows I'll also get a BSOD. So basically I'm running vista without patching it for over a year, maybe something has changed, but I'm not willing to try. Anyways, Dell is good cuz it's cheap. I'm not complaining, but it's definitely not a quality product.

12. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So if Dell's slightly low towards quality , hope Toshiba is a tad bit on the better end..

I'll check on Lenovo but I doubt it'll be easy for me to find...

13. rstalcup

rstalcup Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX980Ti STRIX 6gb ea
    Dell XPS 1730

I got a Dell XPS 1730, one heck of a Laptop, the best one I have ever had, I get a new Laptop every 2 to 3 years from my company usually Dell's or Gateways. but I have had Toshiba's, ASUS, HP's ETC. but this XPS is the Cats meow. T9300 dual core, 3gb, 17" screen, Blue Ray reader writer, twin Nvida 8800M GPU, it is fast, super Graphic, plays Blue Ray DVD's, connects to both wire and wireless networks, Vista 32bit, 5.4 rating, I have no complaints.

14. 3Dghost

3Dghost Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    yeah...and parts are also made by few companies. I had SAGER notebook which is actually made by CLEVO...
    Just go and search a lot and find something that has the specifications you want and nice design too.

15. ohno

ohno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI/AMD X1650pro AGP Gdd3
    ASUS performance and quality (not known for battery life though) i own a
    S96S and it is the best the thing eva. built like a tank, take it school everyday and the 8600GS for some CS:source:biggun::nerd:

16. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    i work in retail and i find that ive never had a customer have a problem with a HP, compaq or asus, but i've had many customers who have had problems with toshiba's and lg's, so stick away from them.

if your looking to get an awsome computer, get an hp 8510p-a, ive had one for a week and its fricken awsome.

Screens with a 1280x800 reso look like **** compared to 1680x1050, i cant imagine ever going back :)

17. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    IBM (Now lenovo) Thinkpad.
    Wouldn't have anything else, love my T23 and its 6 years old and still going strong

18. day0day

day0day Banned

ASUS and Dell are quite good brands.

19. @cid

@cid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus-V8200 GF3 non-Ti
    All round means it should be powerful and still portable right?

I recommend ASUS F8s series, 14.1" equipped with 8600GT or 9500GS.

Cheers!

20. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    As a technician, I've seen exactly the opposite. The most problems were with HP/Compaq and Gateway, the fewest with Toshiba and LG.