What is your audio setup? (Home/Portable)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Kyle_, May 22, 2011.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    figured I'd bump this thread as I bought a new headphone (pictured on left).

Sennheiser HD600. Wow, being properly amplified they are a gem. I've heard the HD650 before and I'm convinced the HD600 are a superior can for overall sound quality. I'm enjoying them more than my flagship Denon's at the moment. There is definitely a sonic difference in hearing an open (HD600) versus a closed (AH-D7000) headphone so I can get both spectrums depending on my mood. The Denon's are epic for bass heavy beats but for live performances and the like ya can't beat the Sennheiser's.

Note to self...don't take a photo at night with a point & shoot...hard to get the detail but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    home :
    AVR: denon 4311-ci
    2.1 magnepan 1.7 / Rythmik FV15HP
    9.1/HT magnapan + energy cb-10 , cc-10 , cs-10 , Rythmik FV15HP

Headphones:
    hd800
    sony cd3k
    a few ortho modded headphones

3. pooley

pooley Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    Home:
    Asus Xonar STX/ Edifier R1600T 2.0 studio monitors/Goldring NS1000 headphones

Portable:
    Sansa Clip+/Fiio e5/Sennheiser CX300 out'n'about/Soundmagic PL30's @ the gym

4. anamericangod

anamericangod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    What should I invest in first?

Asus STX
    g-Audio Fun
    M-Audio Studio Monitors (Not sure which)

Currently using HD600s with an HD650 cable, running from a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card with the modified PAX drivers. I also have Logitech Z-2300s, which I'm sure are inferior to plenty of studio monitors.

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    anamericangod

Get the Audio-GD FUN, you're HD600 will thank you :)

6. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    @N0sferatU

congrats on your hd600. i really like the 600s over the 650s from my personal audition i had with them.

also for pics of headphones. heres an old pic of couple i own.

[​IMG]

sorry,my cat loves annoying me sometimes and jumps right in front of my monitor.

headphones in pic is AKG 240DF,AKG 240 sextetts LP, AKG 240 studios, yamaha hp-1 orthodynamic(loaner)

the DF's are my favorite and most natural headphone i ever used and the clarity and soundstage is flawless. they're 600ohms but once you drive them good, music will talk to you.

i also love my akg 240 sextetts as well as much as my df's. i just prefer my DF's over anything i auditioned

7. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I don't do portable.

Currently:
    Auzentech Home Theater => Threshold FET 10 => Crown D-75A => Denon D7000.

8. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 Member

GPU:
    G.B. GTX 560 Ti SOC 1GB
    My Setup (Home):

• ASUS Xonar Essence STX, with Uni Xonar drivers, using XMPlay with ASIO output @ bit depth and sample frequency of source material on Windows 7 Professional, upsampling when EQ'ing is used (using 1x LT1364CN8 Audio Buffer OPAMP and 2x Burr-Brown OPA2107 OPAMPs for the I/V section)
    • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones
    • Concord Premium Interconnect (1.0m Stereo Parallel Male to Male RCA Interconnect from sound card to amplifier)
    • 12 Gauge speaker wire from speakers 'A' outputs of amp to main speakers
    • 12 Gauge speaker wire from speakers 'B' outputs of amp to high level inputs of subwoofer
    • Cambridge Audio Azur 740A Integrated Stereo Amplifier (150W RMS/ch @ 4 Ohms, 100W RMS/ch @ 8 Ohms, all channels driven)
    • Technics SL-1700 Turntable
    • Undecided on decent Phono Pre-amp, using generic one FTTB
    • PSB SubSonic 5i Subwoofer (150W RMS Continuous, 225W Dynamic, 450W Dynamic Peak, 10" Driver)
    • DALI Ikon 6 MK2 main speakers (http://dali-speakers.com/display_content.php/INT/Loudspeakers.html/322/2559)
    • Speaker isolation via speaker feet
    • Amplifier and subwoofer connected to a Clipsal "Orange Box" portable RCD power outlet

I've also somewhat tuned the in-room frequency response a little with a dB meter and the EQ's on my sound card if that is of any importance

My Setup (Portable):
    • CBF Setup of: Phone (Nokia 2700) + AKG 518 DJ's + 4GB MicroSD in said phone

9. stevedabomb

stevedabomb Member

GPU:
    ATI 6970 2 gig
    Home theater:
    Denon True HD receiver
    B&W CDM1 SE
    Martin Logan Center and rears.
    B&W 10 inch powered sub.

Headphones
    Grado 325i

10. anamericangod

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    Bumping this because I'm close to pulling the trigger on a few things:

Considering the Asus Xonar Essence ST and the Schiit Lyra, to use with my AT-LP120 turntable and Sennheiser HD-600s. Should be a huge upgrade over the Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic card I am currently using, and hold me over until I can afford some fantastic monitors.

Thoughts?

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    X-fi extremegamer (will add an external dac), Denon 2105 plus Ino Audio piPcrt (pretty much the same as Guru audio).

Portable: Sandisk Sansa clip+ 4+8GB with Sennheiser CX500 headphones.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Currently:

Xonar ST > Schiit Lyr > Hifiman HE-500
    Astro Mixamp > Lyr > HE-500

Future? Throw an external DAC into the mix. Maybe. We'll see.

@anamericangod: Well, I've never heard the HD600's, but the Lyr/Xonar ST work well together. You'll like it.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I finally got around to putting OPA2107Aps in my Fiio E9 changing it stock OPA2134, tho it took a while as I had to get ahold of the right Torx screw driver size.

So its 2x LME49720NA + 2x LME49710NA in my X-FI HD with the OPA2107Ap in my Fiio E9 headphone amp out opamp socket.

14. anamericangod

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    I'd heard that he HD600's paired wonderfully with the Xonar ST, which is why I went with it. I've been using it for about a day, and it is taking some adjusting to as I am listening to music in a different way. Much more clarity compared to the digitized warmth and modification of the X-Fi XtremeMusic. Bass is not as pronounced, and I'm getting out what I put in. The HD600's sound tremendous through the headphone amp.

I'll give this a couple weeks and as I am sure I will come to enjoy it even more as my mind "burns in" to the new sound, I will look to expand. Good to know somebody else has the ST-Lyr setup and approves.

I need to upgrade speakers at some point, and then figure out what sort of amp/receiver/connectors I need to make things between my turntable and soundcard really shine. I'm new to the hi fi game, but I'm blown away at the differences already.

15. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    <<< Mine.

16. Methroix

Methroix Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Main home:
    CD-player - E.Sound CD-E5 (modified)
    Pre-Amplifier - Bladelius Idun (slightly modified)
    Power Amplifier - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks (in place of my broken L-09M's)
    Speakers - Quad ESL-2905
    Cables mainly from Purist Audio, except for Electra Glide Ultra Khan II "The Statement" on CD. (power cables slightly modified)
    Accessories from Cardas and Finite Elemente

Secondary home a.k.a PC:
    Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Amplifier: Rotel RA-971
    Speakers: Klipsch Reference RF-52
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD600
    Speaker cables from Van den Hul and interconnect from... an old Swedish brand using silver conductors which I apparently forgot the name of... embarrasing.

The PC system definitely has a more rock 'n roll kind of attitude, being mainly a game rig. Still I do have plans for either an integrated tube amplifier in the future, or a tube pre-amplifier coupled to the L-07M's when I upgrade the main system.