What is THE (best) way to remove drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Coldblackice, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rebooting into safe mode is a waste of time! it doesnt do anything diff then being in windows normally. Unless you are having problems.....

I uninstall. Restart normally, use driversweeper, restart normally use cclean. Install. Restart install caps, restart.

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    I use to take various steps to uninstalling drivers, now all I do is use Atiman, reboot, install new drivers. Never had any problems so far.

3. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    people here keep posting : uninstall all ati driver and run drivercleaner or thing like but why would you need to remove any ati related driver (nb, hdmi...) or ati related apps when you want to updated just the display driver?

4. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    is Driver Cleaner Pro a bad word?

I completely remove the ATI software via the control panel, reboot, then run DCP. It has always worked for me.

5. popeye

popeye Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    From what I know (maybe very little) all the ATI drivers/CCC/addons are so intertwined that one affects the others in many ways and they must be in sync.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Member Guru

GPU:
    :
    Wait, what? You guys reboot when you upgrade your drivers? That's cute.

7. syncore

syncore Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
  8. illprem

illprem Member

GPU:
    Wait, what? You still run the ancient hardware in your sys info? That's cute.

9. LBJM

LBJM Member Guru

GPU:
    latest green team
    (I can't stress this enough) As always with video card drivers do a clean driver install...

Here's how:

Get the latest Driver Sweeper the guru3d version is out of date. AS of this post 3.2 is the latest.( Never heard of atiman and that person should setup a webpage.)

And then DO this:

1)Uninstall drivers in normal mode.
    2)Reboot into safe mode.
    3)run driver sweeper and clean the AMD - Display. If you are switching brands (uninstall Nvidia drivers in the first step) choose Nvidia - Display as well.
    4)Reboot in normal mode.
    5)Reinstall new video card drivers drivers.
    reboot->> If CCC doesn't load or acts funny reboot again.

10. mtdew332

mtdew332 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    I actually keep an image of my drive c: that i made with Acronis true image after a clean install of windows and all updates except video and sound drivers.

That way i KNOW i have a clean testbed for new drivers.

So i just un-install with the Cat manager, reboot and install new drivers.
    If that has issues i just restore my image for a clean install.
    I install all my games to drive d:, so all i need to do is backup my saves b4 restoring.

What has always bothered me is why can't AMD create a program to un-install their own drivers correctly, to ensure a nice clean trouble free install of new drivers?
    It sure seems like it would be to their benefit to do so, since it would cut down on errors/complaints.

Instead we're stuck doing all this extra work and "guessing" which method is best.

And if you think the current AMD cat manager does a good job, don't fool yourself.
    Just turn on AA in CCC , then un-install all AMD software with the cat manager and install new drivers and i bet your AA settings are still the way you set it with the old drivers.

11. iamgamefreak

iamgamefreak Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 265 Dual-X
    Yup this is the best way i believe :D

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Not sure if it was ATIMan, or the other program I used that alters the bootloader, but 1 or the other broke my Windows install (reboots would only put me at a BSoD, whether it was normal mode or safe mode).

And to be fair, the program I used to alter the bootloader worked everytime for me in the past without problem, so I'm putting the blame on ATIMan

13. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Whenever I uninstall with the official uninstaller it uninstalls my chipset drivers as well, gives me a BSOD and doesn't let me back into windows, just goes to boot up windows and then restarts. So I end up having to reinstall windows because it is easier than trying to mess around trying to fix it...

So I use driver sweeper now and have no problems.

14. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    wow lots of praise for Atiman in this thread, but one person said it broke their windows install. not sure if its worth the risk then. does Atiman even have a webpage?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    he said it "might have been" atiman, he didn't remember...

personally, i cant see how it could possibly mess up your bootloader...

but every setup is different...just make a backup, if it works for you, its way worth the hassle of skipping all the BS when trying out new cats...

heres the website: http://atiman.go-board.net/

hope u understand greek...lol..google translate works fine...

16. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    ok so i just tried Atiman, wow it is a scary program the way it keeps opening command windows and giving error messages etc, I thought -- what is this doing to my system?

but after i viewed its log it was simply cleaning the ATI drivers, phew!

seems to have worked fine

17. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    all those error messages are it parsing the reg files, ignore them. its just saying it didn't find the reg entries, thats a good thing...

18. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yeah but what was all that "next generation" stuff it kept talking about?

19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    marketing mumbo jumbo...

its just talking about the PE environment and the dummy file it creates...

20. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I was wondering about this, having just moved across from Nvidia.

Not a fan of driver sweeper. Though where as with Nvidia the driver installer did a good job of removing before installing. I do find AMD do require a definite, seperate removal/uninstall/reboot process before proceeding to install new drivers. But a simple normal uninstall of AMD drivers via control panel/revouninstaller appears to suffice so far for me.