1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best method to clean my TV screen/panel ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    I have been reading a lot on avs forum and all over the web , and doing some search for the last few days on how to clean fingerprints oily residue , dust that has been hard to remove and , dark spots and other stains on my Samsung KS8000 TV. There is endless videos and recommendations on how to clean the TV screen , from soapy water with a microfiber cloth to alcohol 90% to chemicals sold online. :/

Long time ago i bought some TV and monitor screen cleaner on Bestbuy , it was a blue bottle and i tried that on an old monitor lcd screen , but it made it worst and i got more stains with that chemical that i could never get it out, so i threw away that screen cleaner and now i'm afraid to use harsh chemicals that claims to clean lcd screens. I need someone who have successfully clean hard stains , fingerprints , etc... on their screens without damaging it or make it worst.

What have you guys used that really works ?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

But jokes aside any napkin with isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.

Alessio1989 and chispy like this.
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Wet a microfiber cloth with a little water. You shouldn't need anything other than water and any chemicals can strip whatever coating may be on the screen making it worse.

MaCk0y and chispy like this.
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Windex with vinegar(no ammonia ever) is always safe.

chispy likes this.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    chispy likes this.
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I've been using Vinegar based windex for over a decade

Did you even read my post or the link you sent?

It said do not use alcohol based windex or any cleaner.

I stated to not use ammonia based windex.
    Clearly you didn't read my post or that link.

TyrantofJustice and chispy like this.
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Thank you for the feedback guys , i will try with a wet fiber cloth first if that does not work i will try what Agent suggested windex with vinegar. I do not want to try alcohol or alcohol based cleaners on the screen as it does have a protective film over the 65" screen and that will surely will strip that off.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    But better use distilled water. Water from the tap is too dirty for cleaning the screens.

In case screen has no special layers over the glass I use napkin with isopropyl alcohol for decade too.

chispy likes this.
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O

Thank you for the feedback , i was thinking of that , thankfully i always have distilled water around at least one gallon of it due to my water cooling parts on this PC ( I only use distilled water and PT Nuke on my H2O set up ). I will post an update when i get home this afternoon and i get to clean the screen , cheers.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Finally i got the time today to clean my TV screen :) , i used only warm distilled water on a slightly wet microfiber cloth to wipe away the dirt , dust , fingerprints etc... , cleaned using a circular motion with the wet cloth then i used another clean and dry microfiber cloth to dry any wet spots left and finished the whole TV screen. It worked very well and looks like brad new screen. Thank you all of you guys for the input and help.

Kind Regards: Chispy

11. Izzy

Izzy Member

GPU:
    Memory: Corsair - V
    Glad that you found a solution mate! The last time i had this problem...i used Cotton diapers from the baby department in my local department store - and a mix of deionized water and a little isopropyl alcohol. Try it out next time.

chispy likes this.
  12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Master Guru

GPU:
    Every liquid outside distilled water can potentially damage the screen film. I always use only a clean microfiber fabric only, just moisten with some distilled water if there are any dirty that does not go away..

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    chispy likes this.
  13. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
    I always read here since I joined to use distilled water mixed with a bit of vinegar and that always did the trick for me.