1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is STEAMS motivation for trying to STEAL my account?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Slinkyminx, Nov 9, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    One word: Russians. I was offline for a few months and when I tried to login my entire account was totally in russian. It took me over a week to get everything fixed because they had to research my credit card info. Not only that but the SOB had the balls to send me a text through Steam trying to buy my account after I recovered it. He's banned now, but I'm sure he has plenty of fake accounts.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^How are they getting by steam guard, like logging into your account from a different ip, that usually throws up a requirement from steam to verify via a email, assuming that is your account had steam two teir guard activated.

3. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    his account was flagged,due to the audit mentioned finding improper procedure when it was previously recovered , making them suspect it had been hijacked, which is why they requested the cdkey that was used during the inital creation of the account, prior to the previous password recovery.

Slinkyminx and XP-200 like this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Ah right, so this explains why they offered a new account and all the games free, because steam itself may have been too lax in their security procedures last time it was recovered, well i hope the op can find that original cd and if not then i would take steam up on their offer for the new account and all the games back, better option than losing everything. ;)

Slinkyminx likes this.

5. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    There is/was no reset link offered

Sounds like this is the most likely, but whatever the case, I haven't done a damn thing to deserve this bar forget my password. And I was really suspicious when they offered me all the games (like barely a few, Borderlands (one of m all time favorites, but not the point) AND access to the friends list, made me think.... they almost KNOW they're not doing right by me with regards to MY account access, and they we're trying to fob me off... I have a 4 digit steam id, I am that old, and it has been in good standing since creation.

6. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    Never had chance to take them up, he just closed the chat, as you can see from the screenshot. I am pretty sure. that as everything is 100% my end, if they had ANY inclination (THIS IS MY POINT) we could have worked together to sort this out, I mean, I am ME, I haven't MOVED HOUSE, and I created the account. So I kinda feel the same, they are tryign to kill my account/steal it, etc, whatever

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well i would get back onto them and see if the offer still stands, and if so i would grab it with both hands.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Not sure how them asking for the original cd-key is a scam, that's what they want to use to prove you're the account owner.
    Telling them your address, really isn't proof.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    This happened almost 5 years ago, Steam has since improved their security a lot.

XP-200 likes this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    As a honest man I tell you this: If it would be >>me<<, I would DBAN the whole Steam CDN immediately. :D

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    First of all, Steam accounts actually belong to Steam. All accounts make use of Steam's servers and Steam assumes all financial responsibility for maintaining the accounts on their servers.

Having a background in customer service myself, whether you see it or not, you did in fact decline their offer of getting the games moved to another Steam account. Using the excuse that you miss your "friends" doesn't actually hold up after 4 years of inactivity. If it was a matter of contacting those on "your" previous friends list, this thread wouldn't exist, as you were granted access to that information. You just seem to have a need to attack Steam because they didn't cater to your obvious feeling of entitlement... Your need to point out that you've had an account since Steam began is proof of that.

INSTG8R likes this.
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Which falls back to the post I made about you being a customer who wants something but the poor guy stuck dealing with you cannot see the benefit either to him, his business or you as the customer.

You want him to work with you to solve it. It's an account that has one game and hasn't been logged in to for four years and you want it to get access to your friends list, if I was the guy dealing with this my main though is this guy is a f*cking time waster, something that is THAT important to someone doesn't get left for four years but then you add in the fact that you were offered a replacement for the missing game AND have the ability to add any friends from your old account on to your new account, yet you STILL want them to work with you to recover an account that has a single game and a contacts list for friends who are such friends that you have had presumably zero contact with them for four years, other wise you would have just added them to your main use Steam account and here's the thing THIS is the second time you have done this? So this guy, whatever hoops he has to jump through dealing with this utter nonsense of a request knows fine well that in 2 or 3 years time he or some other colleague is going to have to go through all this again, he even offered a solution that would prevent this from happening in future and you declined it on the basis you want a list of friends from an account you haven't logged in to for four years.

I am sorry mate someone needs to tell you to get a grip and stop wasting your and other peoples time

or you can keep banging on about how Steam are trying to steal your account.

INSTG8R and BangTail like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Don't you use authenticator?

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    No they arent.

Something is hitting major alarm bells at steam so they are being extra anal about proving ownership, the way you react back to steam is highly suspicious. Refusing their offers is beyond odd and don't make a lot of sense.

Steam rather transfers stuff to new accounts than to let old accounts be recovered because phishers try to recover old accounts to phish with, an account which is 8 years old and has a history of actually playing games looks a lot more real than a newly created account. Besides that the phishers know Steam can't just delete or ban accounts like that since they are hijacked and belong to an innocent person in the first place.

TL;DR You act like an entitled and shady child, steam tries to work with you and you continue being shady.

sykozis and INSTG8R like this.