What is Geometry Instancing???

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by darthkevin, Mar 8, 2007.

1. darthkevin

darthkevin Guest

[​IMG]

As you can see from the screenie above, I've got the Geometry Instancing tab checked in the Standard Tweaks of ATI Tray Tools. Can anyone explain to me what Geometry Instancing is and whether or not it actually improves performance? It might seem stupid that I checked something of which I knew nothing about, but this Tweak configuration was recommended to me by another Guru3d Forum user.

2. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    As far as I understand it, it's a memory saving feature. Say you have a model that appears in your game world MANY times, like trees in farcry. Now instead of having the same tree geometry file duplicated everywhere, you have one, and for every tree on the map, you use that single instance, instead of dedicating memory blocks to individual trees.

3. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  4. darthkevin

darthkevin Guest

Thank you so much for the quick answers. That settles the issue. I'm definitely going to turn this feature on.

5. darthkevin

darthkevin Guest

Thank you so much for the quick answers. That settles the issue. I'm definitely going to turn this feature on. :grin:

6. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    What is Google?

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
  8. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    This might be relevant, turning on geometry instancing on older cards can have really BAD effect.

I tried this option on my laptop with 128mb (onchip, not shared) Mobility radeon 9600pro card and i lost about 500-600 points in 3dmark03.

So generally i'd say keep this option off for older cards like 8500/9200-9600/x300/x600.