What is G Sync doing to fps?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eyemack, Dec 9, 2018.

1. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    It's TrackIR5.exe. I'm going to do some further testing later, so I'll confirm that everything is OK after that.

2. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Not so sure. Although there are a few exceptions, all the 1545 MHz cards are the cheapest, about £100 more are the 1590/1620 ones, then the 1650+ around another £100 more, then you've got the 1700+ cards around £1400-1500.

3. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I'm pleased to report that everything is still OK by excluding TrackIR5.exe. In addition, I posted this 'fix' on the DCS forums, and one other user said that this fixed his issue with Afterburner and DCS as well. So, all good!

anxious_f0x likes this.
  4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    This was my first thought right after RealNC posted it, and I'm glad it worked out! How are you getting precise framerate limiting now if RTSS is ignoring the application?

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    He added the TrackIR tool to the exclusion list, not the game.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, I'm not familiar with TrackIR. I thought it was a game.

Ever since I found the Logitech keyboard software giving me trouble between RTSS and PCARS, I've been so grateful that Unwinder added the manual exclusion feature.

7. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Yep, TrackIR is head tracking software, not the main game.

8. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I know we've strayed off topic here, but just another couple of questions for you guys.
    1) I presume limiting fps in RTSS has no effect on VR. Is that correct?
    2) when I'm playing a demanding game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 4K with graphics set to 'highest', I get a constant 58 fps, but the GPU usage is 95-99% and the temp is 75-80 degrees. If I turn the graphic down to 'high', then usage is 92-96% and temps are 72-77 degrees. Is the GPU safe at 'highest', and does the slight lowering in 'high' make much difference to the stress to the GPU?

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    temps are fine

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I appreciate that, but unfortunately, it doesn't answer either of my questions!

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Not sure about if the fps limit effects VR games but I’d of thought it would being a global fps limit.

Your GPU is just fine with those temps, not a problem running it on ‘Highest’ at all.

12. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    As far as I can see, VR games are not fps limited. Afterburner overlay and stats don’t show in VR, so I bought fpsVR and it shows up to 90 fps in games.
    What is it that stops AB working in VR, and why are games not limited to 58 fps byRTSS? I know the HMD is a different monitor running at 90Hz, but still.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Note sure. Maybe because VR uses front buffer rendering and RTSS doesn't cope with it.

14. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Whatever the reason is, it’s just as well VR games are not limited by RTSS. It would be a real pain having to switch it off and on.

15. eyemack

eyemack Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    @Unwinder I've found another app that screws up if RTSS is running. It's Thrustmaster TARGET Script Editor that is used for custom profiles for devices like HOTAS Warthog in games, e.g. Elite Dangerous.
    My joystick just stopped responding when running the script I use - AussieDroid's excellent ED script - and I spent a long time trying to work out what was going on until I remembered my recent experience with TrackIR and RTSS.
    So, I added TARGET to the exclusion list, and hey presto, everything works again!
    The program name is TARGETScriptEditor.exe. It would be good to add that to the built-in list of exclusions.

16. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 EVGA
    latest nvidia driver asus pg279q 165 hz g-sync full screen no issues here