What is Crossover Frequency?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Nave, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Nave

Nave Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS EE 256MB @ 500/1400
    This is under the Bass Management heading. Atm, I have it disabled. Should I enable it and what benefits would i get? What should the frequency be set at and the bass boost level?

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Just leave it alone. Crossovers are the frequency that the sound crosses over from one speaker to another. For example, your sattalite speakers don't produce bass very well, so there is a frequency that the sound is crossed over from the sattalite's midrange speaker to the subwoofer's driver. That is what is called a crossover.

Alternately, you can also have a crossover between your midrange drivers and tweeters. Your speakers don't have tweeters, but if they did, there would be another crossover there.

You can just leave it be. Your speakers already have a built in crossover, and messing around with that won't really improve your sound.

3. Nave

Nave Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS EE 256MB @ 500/1400
    Thanks a lot. I guess I'll leave them as they were, off.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well if your curious try it out and see if it does anything you think you may want..

5. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    Logitech Z-5300 have their own crossover. This a capacitor and an inductor that form together a crossover which is high pass and low pass filter so that woofer is fed with signal set by the manufacturer as optimal and safe for the equipment. Some really cheap speakers come without hardware crossover and that's why sound cards have this control in the first place.
    I would not mess with it if you have z5300.

6. codiak

codiak Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT Extreme Edition
    i use it

Hey i use the cross over in my surround mixer for my audigy 1, as the 5.1 speakers i use dont seem to send the bass to the sub properly unsless i enable cross over.

7. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    if you like even more low end why not :nerd:

8. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

This kind of high/low pass filter is generally not suitable for audio applications. They use different kinds of filters to achieve crossovers with sharp enough drops at the stopband.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  9. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    With my Z-640's I dont mess with this option. The built in crossover is more than adequate.