What is a "South Bridge Driver" and do I need it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DJShamrock, Oct 6, 2007.

1. DJShamrock

DJShamrock Member

GPU:
    1900 Crossfire 512 & X1900XTX 512mb
    I just noticed on ATI's download page that towards the bottom there is a "South Bridge Driver" download link.

[​IMG]

I have a Asus A8R-MVP with a 1900 Crossfire Master and a x1900xtx Slave running crossfire. Also running Vista 64 Ultimate. Do I need to install this? I Googled the hell out of this thing and have no clue what it does or if I need it.

2. mafia_boy

mafia_boy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 4gig
    Its part of a mobo chipset! south & north bridge, i would install this driver if you have a board with a south bridge chipset!

3. Syphon452

Syphon452 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896
    I have a Southbridge too should i isntall this on a intel ?

4. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    South bridge is about as important as your northbridge. South bridge is used to host bandwidth for devices such as USB, SATA, PCI, and other low bandwidth devices.

5. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I believe that Southbridge driver is only for ATI motherboards and chipsets, Intel have their own chipset drivers...

HyBrId

6. DJShamrock

DJShamrock Member

GPU:
    Yeah my Asus A8R-MVP says ATI 200 Crossfire ready on the boot splash screen. I installed the driver and it installed just like a catalyst driver, rebooted and everything seems to be ok. I have heard of Northbridge, Southbridge, just didn't know what they meant.

Oh and ATI should have some kind of documentation on their site explaining these things. I am 36 years old and can only overclock my FX-60 from 2.60 ghz to 2.81 ghz before it won't boot. Then all these kids are clocking at 3 ghz plus. I don't know jack **** about FSB speeds and multipliers and crap.

Anyone know a good overclocking guide for the A8R-MVP?

7. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    If you would like to know more about motherboards and their individual components, then I highly recommend you check out wikipedia. Here, I'll start you off : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus .

This website has anything and everything you'll want to know for broadening your knowledge of computers :).

You should also check the forum sections first, or use the search function, as most forum sections come with stickied guides for the most frequently asked about subjects.

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Google helps aswell

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=138046

8. DJShamrock

DJShamrock Member

GPU:
    Thanks dude. Yeah I know Google is my friend. Yet for some reason when I google trying to learn OC'ing stuff, I end up listening to dip****s and have to either reformat or flash my bios and play with jumpers and crap. I mean when it comes to machines, I can build one no problem. I know hardware. It's the bios and memory timing stuff i am just getting the balls to mess with.

I have STACKS of papers with OC'ing guides. I can't get my FX-60 past 2.81 ghz with a 14x multiplier without freezing up.

I did come up with a sweet AC to PC mod. Basically I connected my air conditioner to my PC and I went from 33 degrees cel. to 12 degrees celcius. The sound doesn't bother when I am gaminfg cause I use in ear Shure headphones.

[​IMG]

Been using it for a year. No condensation inside my PC. I have them decals they put in cellphones that turn color if water or humidity is around and my machine is bone dry.

[​IMG]
    Inside of my rig.

9. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Dude, i like that bendable lcd you have

10. DJShamrock

DJShamrock Member

GPU:
    LOL I took a panarama my studio and put it toghether in Photoshop. Didn't work out as planned.

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Even though your board is my board's little brother, and the BIOS lacks some of my BIOS' features, follow THIS THREAD through. It was a sticky here, at Rage3D, DriverHeaven and [H] for quite some time...
    You'll learn more about overclocking on ATi chipset ASUS boards than you may want to know... (I beta tested for ASUS on this board and know it inside out)

But, as of 6 months ago (give or take) - I have *no* idea of what BIOS you should be running on your A8R...maybe someone here with the same board will chime in.

On that note, if you're going to get into overclocking your board/CPU/RAM further, I suggest doing it in the Die-Hard Overclocking forum, or AMD Processors and Motherboards forum...you'll get more valued responses there. (not that there aren't knowledgeable people right here in the ATi Drivers Section, but this obviously isn't the place to discuss motherboards and their overclockability.)

Psychlone