What is a safe temp for a Q6600?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by scoter man1, Jan 18, 2009.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hey, I was just wondering what a safe max temp is for a Q6600. I use prime 95 to judge my max temps at 100% load so, If you refer to a program like that, id perfer prime 95. Im overclocked at 3ghz and when I run the "small FFTs" (I get the highest temps using that) I hit something around 59c. Im happy with 3 ghz, I just wondered what other people hit temperature wise. Maybe there still a little more that I can push out of mine.

2. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    The general consensus is that staying under 60*C at 100% load is ideal. Games and general windows applications will never stress a CPU like a dedicated program like Prime will so you shouldn't ever see those kinds of temps through normal use. :)

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    the q6600 according to intel is best kept under 71 degrees http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR

i`ve ran mine unknowingly at about 90degrees (c) for about 2months, and the wee puppy is fine!!

another program to test your temp, is intelburn, you can get it from the DLoad section here, like prime, but it does it in a few minutes, not a few hours!!

good luck dude, your temps are fine!! try and keep them below 65 at the most, but it won`t matter too much if you go a wee bitty over

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Be warned IBT causes much higher CPU temps than Prime! IBT hits 62C on my rig, Prime around 54C

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    yeah I think intel burn is supposed to hit upto 25c higher than prime 95, but like d-cyph3r, Really my processor never hits 100% during use so I dont think that its something I really would have to worry about. I think I'll stick at 3ghz right now. My Q6600 is so fast compared to my old amd athlon x2 4200+ that my head is still spinning around, and I've had this rig for like a month now. So, maybe if I need it in the future I can hit 3.2ghz, who knows? Thanks for your comments people!

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    yea @3.6 i was getting 71-73 on IBT only 56-60c with prime, and never over 55c playing games.
    but I was getting lock ups after 8 pass's with IBT and after 6 hours of prime.
    But could play game for 6 hours+ with no problems, but the voltz got me worried so im back to 3.3ghz.

7. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I hit 62C with mine at 3.3 GHz and never had an issue with it.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    My cooler is okay, but still, I dont know if I want to push it that far, im using the stock crapolah cooling compound that came with it lol, so I guess its not doing that bad.

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    agreed IBT is pretty intese on the old processor, and stresses it more than you will ever probably use it, .... but for quick stability test i think its brilliant, and if you stay under 65 in ITB then you are definatly doing something right, means your real life stress temps will be pretty low!!!