What if valve/steam goes bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by StewieTech, Jul 15, 2017.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    Even if you bought the physical copy of the game you don't own it. The license can be revoked or the license server could go down where you activate the game and you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    At least these days you don't have to worry about a damaged DVD-ROM or such. If in ye olde times you scratched your CD-ROM too badly, it was just tough luck, buy the game again. Now buying a license is more sensible.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    Exactly.
    This is the most common misconception when it comes to buying games.

The publisher owns the game. You are only buying a license to play it. Be it retail or digital, you are only paying for the right to play it.

Buying a retail copy of the game doesn't guarantee you anything, legally, more solid then a digital purchase.
    Yes, with a retail copy you physically have the product and are not restricted should anything happen to an online service. But, from a legal view point, the only thing you own is a license.
    And a license that could be canceled by the publisher at any time.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    You do own the DVDs, booklet, the case, and the paper sleeve with a pretty picture as physical objects. You don't own the copyrights to anything, of course, but that physical copy is your property through and through. Even if the studio makes the game (legally) useless by terminating the license and the online copy protection scheme, should it have such, the physical copy is still yours. Nobody's going to come to collect them from people if the license expires.

Its value, if it can't be played, is another question, though.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    Well, yeah... if you want to get technical... you own all the physical stuff that comes with the purchase.
    But, in regards to the game itself... you only bought a license.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Not exactly for Steam's demise i have an GOG account, but i can save the installation files with all extras and re-install later in another computer - if need arise.
    And i try to buy DRM-free games which i can dl, install later.Call me old fashioned.

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Fury 3-x@2720Z
    What if some 10km+ size asteroid hits Earth?
    What if Yellowstone burst out?
    What if...

There is higher probability that something really fkd up happend than Valve bankrupt at the moment man...:)

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    same thing that will happen to all these "OTHER" digital platforms mass cluster **** of billions of pissed of customers,

IT why I Still prefer physical copies when possible

9. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    To be 100% safe, you'd need to download every game in your library and make a backup.

This is actually similar to physical copies. What happens if the game disc breaks? You need a backup.

This is actually one reason why GOG is better than Steam :p On GOG, you can download installers for the games. On Steam, you need to download the game first, and then create an installer from it afterwards.

If Valve actually doesn't have "measures in place" for the event they get destroyed, you're still somewhat screwed due to Steamworks DRM. I assume those "measures" they claim to have involve the release of a final Steam client that doesn't require online activation when installing games from a backup.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    I think there is alot of the such bigg game collection threw them that we dont have enough space on out hdd/sdd to put them on, either as backup or install location.

I know my 500gb drive can have all my games installed on it let alone have back ups too.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    Would be nice.
    But I fill up my 2tb drive before I get my entire Steam library installed.

Let alone stuff on Origin, UPlay, GoG... and other places.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    It's pretty much the risk we take, but you would imagine the original developer/publisher would pick things up if Valve went under.

I remember the days I had my entire library installed, but I'm to about 400 games now and while I have 4tb most of it is tied up with other media.
    Doubt it would fit anyway..

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    Normally the publisher does try to pick it up if anything happens.
    I remember when PREY (2006) released, 3DRealms had partnered with a new digital distribution service called Triton.

But, shortly after PREY's release, Triton went out of business insanely fast. And without any warning or word from the company.

2K covered it by giving anyone who purchased PREY through Triton a copy of the game on STEAM. They also added all retail cd-keys to STEAM.
    It's why if you bought a retail copy of PREY you can add it to your account, even though it's not a STEAMworks titles.
    It's also why there are no more CD keys available, hence the game was pulled from Steam. 2K never made any more keys, and now that ZeniMax owns the IP... they have shown no interest in putting the original game up for sale.

14. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Well the backups would go on bluray discs or DVDs, or on an external HD. Backups on the same disk are NOT backups. They're just copies.

15. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I didn't know that, I just put my Prey cd key into steam and voila, there it is in my steam library.

Regarding the OP's question though, I do remember this kind of discussion from other places back when HL2 released, trouble is I can't remember where the information is but this is what I remember.

Should Valve/Steam go out of service, there was information distributed that said patches would be released to remove steam drm. This is at least one of the contingencies.

How long servers would be kept online however wasn't stated exactly as such, but it was assured if such an event did occur, services wouldn't be halted right away due to contractual obligations and that notices would be given out stating how long services would remain (an example being 30 days)giving users time to acquire their purchases and back them up themselves.

There was also information that Valve would provide physical copies of user's libraries but I'm not sure that'd be feasible now given there are users that have over hundreds of games in their library - even thousands (I myself have over 900 games, I wouldn't be surprised if this would add up to several terabytes of data and as it stands, I have 233 titles installed, which total 1.3TB).

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    I bought a key for Prey in May for £3, so they are still some for sale.

As for or Valve providing retail versions, think my house would be a riot if nearly 400 retail games appeared lol.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I wouldn't be surprised if their Disaster Recover Plan included something along the lines of what they did when they took the WON servers offline.

18. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1
    Tencent.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
    The ones people can find on various key sites... are old retail keys that never got claimed.
    But, as for extra digital keys that 2K had... they are all gone. And they never created any new ones.

20. Fatupazrat

Fatupazrat New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7750 1 GB
    I think it's more possible a third world war, and if that will happen there will be no games to play anyway.