What has happened to GFX cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cjs007, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Reading through this thread I really did remember the good old days when I replaced my ati rage pro with 3dfx voodoo 3 :)
    I must say that I enjoyed gaming much more back then than I do now when we have much more powerful hardware and much better visuals.
    This all gaming industry is turning into a big Kardashian show :D

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, the wow factor has disappeared! I remember I used to worry about minimum requirements every time a new AAA game used to be announced but now .. meh :nerd:

Reminds me of an infamous member who used to brag about the performance of crysis on his Pentium 3 machine with a 90W PSU :banana:

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you joined in dec 2011 and know about TheGeneral, that was like 3 years ago

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lurking on and off for way longer :p

5. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    IF you think that it is "stupid price/performance" then, why do you have GTX470 SLI?

You could have stay with a 8800GTX(from 2006) and still get better graphics than consoles. ( Even a ATI X1950 from 2005 still can run games like Crysis 2 with equal settings to xbox here LOL)

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    theres no proof that youtube video was run with that card

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    he dont seem to be trolling much lately. 90 watt psu I remember that thread:wanker:

8. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    since a 8800GT can run crysis 2 with 42fps at 1680x1050(link) what makes you think that ATI X1950(that is about 2 times slower) won't be able to play at 1024x768 with playable fps?

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    there is absolutely no proof of the video card being used in that vid. also do not put words in my mouth, I never said anything of the sort.

10. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Gaming was more enjpoyable back then cause when you upgrade you REALLY saw a vis and performance enhancement. The games drove vid card sales. Nowadays tho? All we are seeing is less real AAA+ games, and way more vid card releases. The card before the horse if you will.

Peeps these days would rather have the bragging rights of being able to get a few more fps out of their mediocre games and say they got the latest and greatest cardwise. The devs don`t piush the envelope anymore..... and they do not release games on the reg basis they use to. So line up for that Kepler peeps. Whip out those wallets.

When we have some games that require a faster card than I have, I might upgrade again. I have yet to see any game that requires me to upgrade from my 295 tho. And I put a dual gpu ATI dx 11 card in my sons PC, and even that card wasn`t worth buying. It doesn`t slay my 295 like I thought it would.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

11. angmar

angmar Guest

Slightly better visuals between consoles and pc's is a huge understatement my friend. Though consoles are capable of pulling off quite amazing graphics given the lack of horsepower they contain under the hood.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  12. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    amazing yes compared to what? console game are just blurry texture with a lot of aliasing and monstruous clipping, it give me headache everytime i look at a console game.

13. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Consoles are OK if you consider gaming a way to spice up your nights by calling a few friends over to drink a few beers and have fun playing some fun but brainless games like dead or alive... but for any "serious" gamer I think PC is the way to go.

First because PC gamers make so much more sacrifice to upgrade in order to play the latest at the very best possible settings.
    And by buying PC hardware we make the technology go forward, while console crowd just keeps dragging along and slowing down the entire process of gaming evolution.

Yes, PC gaming is very expensive sport.
    But being a true gamer does not mean having the most expensive gear around.
    It´s getting addicted to the positive emotional feedback that you get by involving yourself in gameplay elements od the game. Not graphics, not phsyx, just GAMEPLAY, And that is what modern games don´t have.
    Console versions are the same stuff only stripped of graphics.... so that leaves you with what ????