What happens if I add this RAM?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Overkill0001, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Overkill0001

Overkill0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
    Well I'm looking to the future. With Vista they say you want at least 2GB. I can see them recomending at least 3GB and 4GB after that. I might as well get more so I won't have to be stuck with 4x512MB when I need more than 2GB.

Also I found this post on a different forum, I'm not sure if it's true

"If you are using 2 sticks of DDR2 at DDR2-800 or higher, you will also be forced to use 2T timings."

http://techgage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    yes you will run at 2T, but ther is no Noticble Difference with running at 2T, you wil not notice anything, also 2 gigs is just enough for vista, ive got the beta and i can still run BF2 fine with a little mermory to spare, also vista still is a while away.

But yeah Atleast you will still have dual channel if you get that ram, actually i suggest you get it, it will future proof you pc for quite some time.

if you do get the 1 gig sticks make sure each stick is on the same channel, ie 2x512 sticks on channel A and 2x1 gig sticks on channel B

3. Overkill0001

Overkill0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
    Thanks, I think I'll just run add 2GB and fill up all my slots. I read some reviews on newegg of my ram where people said they couldn't get it to run in 2T at all anyway, so I might as well just fill up my slots.

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Sweet, but im pretty sure u will have to run it at 2T, with all slots filled

5. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    Yes you will have to run in 2T, oh well. But like me, you can overclock your ram so it will run at the full speed. My RAM defaulted to 333MHz because all my slots were filled (1GB,1GB,1GB,1GB). But you can overclock them to their standard frequencies as long as the mobo can do it. Plus, right now, Win XP only recognizes a max of 3GBs of RAM, where as other programs that need a lot of RAM are programed to use it. When vista comes out it will support 8GBs.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47669/47669.html?Ad=1

"Home Basic and Home N will be limited to 8GB of RAM, whereas Home Premium will support up to 16GB of RAM on both 32-bit and 64-bit PCs. All the other products will support the maximum physical memory size on 32-bit systems and up to 128GB of RAM on x64 systems"

Fill up the slots if you want. If you use it right, more ram won't hurt you.

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Daimerous you do know you can force windows to "see" (use) all of your ram, letting you have 4 gigs in the operating system...

7. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    That would be awesome if you could tell me how. I didn't know there was a tweak on that.....I never actually thought of looking either.

8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Hmm ok , Just a second and ill get the tweak for you

9. Overkill0001

Overkill0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I want to update you on my findings.

Okay, first my ram defaulted to 2T but I set it to 1T. It's fine and stable but I haven't noticed any difference. My 3Dmark06 score went from 4371 to 4365 so it actually dropped an insignificant amount.

I thought maybe loading times would show the difference between 1T & 2T.

I timed the loading times in HL2, Quake 4, and CounterStrike Source (starting up the game, and loading a saved file [in CSS just loading it up]). I used CPUZ to check and make sure the CR was right after changing the BIOS.

Interestingly, the times were EXACTLY the same. After finding this out, I think I'm not going to worry about filling up all four slots.

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Thats what i told you :p