What happened to the high end keyboards, is there anything worth considering?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Just put some GPBT black ash keycaps on my GMMK2. Very nice with the lubed Ajazz Kiwi switches.
    GMMK2AshCaps.jpg
    [​IMG]

also I feel the cherry profile caps fit the keyboard better than the default OEMs it shipped with, def comfier to type now

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2024
    Mufflore and mrrulez911 like this.
  2. Welp as sleek as they were the black legends on dark gray caps started bothering me even if I touch type mostly

So here's some Keychron Developers, I really like them!
    GMMK2DevCaps.jpg
    [​IMG]

too bad these are again OEM profile since cherry profile was better for this kb / me, but a 96 % ISO Nordic layout reaaaaallly limits keycap options, lols. Especially when you want PBT but don't think ABS options are that much more in abundance either.
    In fact the only fully suitable options I've found are from Keychron and Glorious, both of whom make 96 % layout keyboards.

Ofc regular full size set will partially and mostly fit, but the bottom row uses only 1 unit wide keys after space bar, in addition to needing a special width right Shift key

mrrulez911 likes this.
  3. I bought my first ever Ducky keyboard this week, One 3 TKL Mist Grey, for work use.
    Knowing Ducky's reputation I had high expectations and... have to say out of the box was really let down, there was very audible case ping and the Cherry (brown) switches were scratchy and didn't even fit the sockets very tight.
    The keyboard felt like it should have cost half of what it did from overall build and feel impression.

Remembering I had the Kailh Pro Purples still left I put them in and the difference was massive, less pronounced case ping and overall more thock experience. The Cherry switches really sold the Ducky kb short, goes to show how Cherry is def not the gold standard switch anymore.

DuckyOne3Kailh.jpg

DuckyOne3.jpg

Quite pleased, could improve it further by putting PE foam under the PCB but honestly the switch swap alone made an insane difference without modding the KB itself in any way.

Even then I consider the GMMK2 quite superior especially since they sell for about the same price prebuilt (and you can buy the GMMK2 as barebone only and pair it with whichever switches and caps you want from the get go).

mrrulez911 likes this.
  4. mrrulez911 likes this.

5. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I just love it. I've ordered the new 80HE also.

6. Nice, I watched a review of the 60HE and it seemed good, if they ever did a 96 % size one might try it out.

mrrulez911 likes this.
  7. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    https://wooting.io/#Our-keyboards Not yet, only 100%, 60% and in July '24 80%

8. Maybe one day then!

I have to say having used the Ducky keyboard a bit more now... I really don't get what the big deal with them is.
    Yeah it's... decent but anno 2024 for that money it's bit of a letdown.
    I'm def gonna put some PE foam in it too.

Not to mention the complete lack of media functions even via Fn modifier and overly contrived macro recording. I get they wanted to achieve as much as possible software free but you cannot assign custom functions to Fn+ combinations as far as I can tell.
    So while I could assign say Volume Up to F11 then F11 would always be volume up

Like said the GMMK2 cost the same prebuilt and can skate circles around the One 3 in every regard.
    Imo the GMMK2 is even better to type on too.

Not saying Glorious would be the be all end all of keyboards but personally can fully recommend the GMMK2 - just don't do what I did and buy the prebuilt but buy the barebone and then the switches and caps, save money, unless one actually wants linear switches and shinethrough (double shot though) ABS keycaps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2024
    mrrulez911 likes this.
  9. I put some PE foam on the GMMK2 and if it sounded good before now it sounds.... glorious, lols

put a single full size layer and additional strips on the top and bottom as there clearly was a gap left with the stock foam there. Also explained why the sound profile varied depending on which row keys you used.
    Could maybe have put one more strip at the top still but putting the kb back together was already a rather tight fit.

mrrulez911 likes this.

10. just for giggles, also yes swapped the caps again (Tai Hao Cream).
    Recorded from about 5 cm away, as close as I could without the audio starting to clip.

This was the result btw since I know you all are dying to know, lols
    typing_personal_best.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2024
    mrrulez911 likes this.

11. I tried Durock Shrimp silent tactile switches and... well they are definitely silent while remaining very tactile, but are super scratchy or "grindy" even to use.
    The bottom out wasn't mushy though but the high-ish resistance combined with the scratchiness (even lubed) made them rather unpleasant to use, to me.

Still, if anyone is looking for a heavy-ish tactile switch that's as silent as possible and scratchiness doesn't bother you, then the Durock Shrimps definitely fit that bill.

I have a set of TTC Blueish Whites coming in now. I still really like the Ajazz Kiwis but want something with a bit quieter and softer sound.
    I've actually went back to Kailh Pro Purples in the meantime, they are very pleasant, but not very tactile. Based on some reviews the TTC Blueish White might fit that bill.

I also will say that over here it's really slim pickings unless you are willing to order overseas or from China (and pay the taxes and import then). MaxGaming has the best switch and keyboard supply here and even they ship from Norway or Sweden.

If I wanted to get say Gamakay or Leobog switches I'd have to order them from another site.

Mufflore and mrrulez911 like this.
  12. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I'm running a duckey one, is there a better gaming option, perhaps quieter?

mrrulez911 likes this.
  13. Surely about a million, lols. Personally I do not like Ducky keyboards too much but yours is perhaps hotswap capable, so you could just replace the switches if you like the keyboard otherwise.

At least all One 3 series Ducky keyboards are hotswappable

big ROBOT bill and mrrulez911 like this.
  14. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I've got a preorder for the Wooting 80HE. It's gonna replace my current 60HE.

Deleted member 229454 likes this.
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I wonder if those switches are designed to give tactile feedback when moving?
    Could be handy for some folk.

16. Yeah they are tactile switches similar to Cherry browns, just silent or silenced. They have a silencing silicone gasket on the side of the stem, if you remove it they are practically identical to Durock T1's.

I prefer tactile switches over linear or clicky switches, was just looking for something that would be equally tactile and smooth to the Ajazz Kiwi but quieter, however the silencing made the Shrimps really scratchy.
    For the record both the Ajazz Kiwi and the Durock Shrimp have a way more noticeable tactile bump than Cherry browns and need higher actuation force.

Anyhow specs and reviewwise the TTC Bluish Whites should be pretty much what I'm looking for but will only know once they arrive.

17. Let me know what you think of it once you get it, curious!

mrrulez911 likes this.
  18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I meant the scratchiness might be deliberate to feel the key 'moving', rather than hitting the trigger point or end stop.
    Could aid training or careless key pressing? Or maybe yours have a mfring defect.
    Dunno, just a thought :)

19. Ahh, I doubt it's intentional just a side effect of how the switch is made. If some switches were smooth and others scratchy it could be a defect too but they were quite consistent.
    Some switches just are scratchy, maybe the stem or the housing inner surface isn't as smooth as on some others.

In this case it might be the silencing material "rubbing" against the housing.

Also whether it is noticeable or bothersome is preference, for me scratchiness and stem wobble are immediate nope outs, lols

20. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I'm gonna write a review for a Dutch tech website, I'll share it after. :cool:

Deleted member 229454 likes this.