What happened to the high end keyboards, is there anything worth considering?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Jul 1, 2019.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I have the exact same keyboard (the RGB version) and can confirm. This is one loud ass keyboard. It literally makes my fiance, across the house, down a hallway with a door around another corner, get up and close the bedroom door. She has said as much. She says it sounds like I'm "typing angrily". Otherwise, I like this keyboard aside from the software being really clunky.

Mufflore likes this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And it should be a large project because trust me on this - the final result is a great satisfactory feeling when you use your keyboard on a daily basis.

Clips wise, they won't magically make it silent, for that, I suggest also adding internal foam and to use a mouse mat/towel below your keyboard. But all of those will definitely make it quieter and reduce key "wobble".

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Mufflore likes this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hehe, thanks for the worthy anecdote, I can picture that exactly :)
    Mine needs quieting for similar reasons.

ps
    Its worth clamping a small black tie wrap round the braiding where it enters the keyboard.
    Mine started to come undone, the tie wrap has kept it in perfect order since.
    I had the same problem with a Corsair K50, that ended up quite messy without a tie wrap.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This project is getting serious consideration but recently realised I'm not bad at art and need to put spare time into it.
    It wouldnt be difficult being an electronic engineer, this is my kind of stunt. A couple of previous projects are posted here.
    But I could be without my keyboard for a long time!

0blivious likes this.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Appreciate the heads up on that. So far so good but that braided wire is awfully stiff so I can see it being a potential issue.

...*searches PC bins for a black zip tie*...

Mufflore likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Personally I think high end keyboards aren't worth the cost for some fancy lights. Honestly I just buy $15 Logitech keyboards for the last 10 years.

KissSh0t likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Some part of me agrees but another part get annoyed they dont last more than a few years.
    The only keyboard I have owned that lasted more than just over 2 years before developing a problem is my current mechanical at just over 3.5 yrs.
    I have a strange aversion to the right shift key working and lights remaining lit on non mechanical keyboards.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People confuse high end with light shows, high end is more than lights. I'd never bought an expensive mechanical keyboard before the k95. (i've been putting together my own PC's since the 90's, i've bought plenty of different keyboards)

It's just better than all my cheapo crap put together, simple as that.

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    I have used many keyboards, just not many higher end ones, this is my 3rd mechanical I've ever bought. Finding a good keyboard and mouse that works perfectly for the user can be really challenging. I think most people are ok with good enough or don't know any better.

You seem knowledgeable on keyboards, I am genuinely curious as to what makes a keyboard stand out to you and what you don't like about mine.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Read my massive post on the second page if you want to understand from what point of view I'm coming from. Generally, all of the mainstream keyboards have two features - lots of RGB and barebones typing experience.

I care for typing experience, I want to enjoy it instead of just mushing on loud keys with some cheap keycaps.

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i also have the K95 I have the speed switches ... this is my first mechanical KB si idk what is loud ... sound no louder than any other KB i owned and through ICUE software the lighting possibilities are endless. I have the mouse pad .. mouse.. cooler.. headphone stand .. headset.. fans.. all to match ,all synced to ICUE same colors same lighting effect.