What happened to the high end keyboards, is there anything worth considering?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

Hi there

I will take pictures of Ducky, its probably best to do that and you will see what I mean

My Ducky have separate + and - plus Mute keycaps, doesn't require FN or Shift for operation or you don't need to use FN or Shift to mute or raise or lower volume

Yes does only go in one direction ie + or - and no if its max then is max, won't go beyond 100%

Its one of more simpler mechanical keyboard which doesn't have RGB or media buttons etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

Razer SW caused few issues in past on my friend PC and at the end we are uninstalled that

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Do you need a Razer login to use their software?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My question was for the Topre keyboard.
    With only one key for volume, how does it work?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thank you for being candid.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

Hi there

My Topre mechanical keyboard doesn't have any media keycaps or buttons or volume buttons, its very simple keyboard Realforce or rather is proper old school one keyboard which I use depending on my mood, sometimes I use Topre, sometimes Ducky or Filco, its very mood dependent with me and keyboards

Just seen prices over here for Topre, my god these prices went up quite considerably, I remember my brother bought me my Topre Realforce for £90 in Japan few years back

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Mufflore likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No problem.
    I got sidetracked and assumed you were using the Topre Realforce RGB somehow.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A serious question for everyone please.

Much of the noise from my keyboard (G.Skill KM780) is from the keys being able to move side to side, the noise is amplified by the key caps and perhaps the keyboard base.
    If I very lightly drag my finger over the keyboard it rattles/clacks quite loudly!
    These are MX browns which is worrying, there appears to be too much gap between the key shaft and its housing.

Can you please do the same (lightly drag a finger over your keyboard without pressing the keys down) and report which keyboard+key switch you have and what it sounds like to you?
    I am trying to work out how noisy/rattly/clacky the different types of switch are without pressing them, and how much the noise has been damped by a keyboards design / different key caps.
    This could be the secret to finding a quieter keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Oh boy, a keyboard topic.
    I didn't read the whole thread (my apologies), however, if you want a solid keyboard - you won't get that out of the box I'm afraid.

There are several brands that get "close" to that experience, but still, there is some work to be done in order to achieve a high-quality experience.

Your criteria:
    I like that you seek a silent experience. That's a good start.
    There are several keyboards out of the box that offers a great experience, however, with some additional tuning, they become perfect (that includes desoldering switches).

Companies such as Leopold, Topre, Ducky, Filco, Wooting, Vortex and various others - offer you an already assembled keyboard.

My suggestion to you, based on your criteria (in specific that you don't know which switches you want) is to get a stock MX compatible hot-swappable keyboard. Now, what do I mean by this.

A good example will be GMMK. Quite a minimalistic base with a metal plate, RGB, macros, solid PCB with hot-swappable functionality.
    This will be a good base for the rest of the build, and from what I can tell it ticks all the boxes for you.

Next, we need the actual switches - there are a gazillion of them, however, they all have one thing in common - noise. In order to fight that we need to do some modding.
    For switches do some research on what type of switches you want It's all a matter of preference - maybe you will want a stiff or soft switch, with a tactile bump or just linear.
    Do some research, there are plenty of content on the web which shows you the difference. Here's a good article for a start.

As a suggestion, There are two switches that will be already quite silent out of the box and will fit this build - Cherry MX Silent Black and Silent Red

If you are not lazy and into simple modding, lube your switches. Every mechanical switch has plastic/metal bits that rub one another creating traction. If you add lube to it, all of them become really smooth. Lubing a switch can make a difference between mediocre typing experience, to something that you love. There are various lubes (don't use home oil), here is an example. Regarding how to lube them, just type on youtube - how to lube a mechanical switch. Gazillion of videos out there. Additionally, you can look into various springs to change the stiffness of a switch.

Additionally, make sure you lube the stabilizers, as they will always "rattle". Stabilizers can be found on larger keys - example will be spacebar, enter, Numpad enter, backspace, shift e.t.c.

Also to silence the upstroke and further silence the downstroke and prevent a key "wobble", get yourself QMX CLips.

Next, are the keycaps, most of out of the box keyboards such as mainstream trash will always cheap in on those and give you cheap abs plastic ones where the font will get wiped out 3 weeks later.
    For a solid experience get PBT keycaps, they feel great, reduce the noise and last forever. Just make sure they are compatible with your layout for keyboards PCB.

Finally, when you type, get yourself either a very large mouse mat or some towel and put it below your keyboard. That will further decrease the noise.

If you put the effort and build the above result will be a keyboard you will love and at any point in time can change the switches into something different without buying a whole new board.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Mufflore likes this.
  10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol

Great post, you may have given me a method to fix my current keyboard.
    The oil and QMX Clips might be all it needs.
    If not there are the keycaps, and if that isnt enough I can still give it my Dad.

I figured the noisy keycaps could have their noise reduced by squirting some foam or expanding glue underneath.
    This will dampen ringing and echoes.
    Of course being careful not to obstruct the switch or QMX Clips.

cryohellinc likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I would definitely recommend looking at keyboards with PBT keycaps from stock or at least look into getting a set of PBT keycaps later. Can't recommend Ducky Shine enough. Mine is a 6 and it's great in every aspect.

cryohellinc likes this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You can't lube your switches if in your current keyboard they are plate mounted. You can only lube PCB mounted switches. Check that first. If that's the case you need to desolder the switches.
    And from what this page says, I think that's exactly your case. QMX clips will work thou.

If you decide to disassemble your current keyboard, take a piece of foam rubber (of any kind) and put it in between keyboard PCB and backplate. Some keyboards come with a large space in between those two resulting in the "echo" effect. Foam there prevents that from happening, by reducing noise and vibrations.

Don't do that. If you will use QMX Clips, they will practically leave no space for it. PBT keycaps (or SA (if you can find those at a reasonable price)) + QMX clips should give you a good start.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Hmm, I was thinking of lubing the exposed stem once the key cap is removed, using a syringe needle.
    It cant do the whole job but a partial fix surely.
    Is that not ok?

Yeah I figured there wouldnt be much room once the QMX clips are fitted, probably by design to reduce the echo chamber.
    Point taken.

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I wouldn’t recommend doing that. In general, you want to lube a couple of tiny spots within the key itself, not just indiscriminately spew lube around inside the switch resulting in uneven lubing and some of it potentially getting all the way down to PCB.

Here is an example of how to do it the right way

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    G19s

Not mechanic, but has everything else and moar

I was at g15 for 5-6yrs and now I have this g19s 3yrs or so.. wanted to keep LCD and ofcourse all music buttons and what not.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks but I had a G19 and the display started working intermittently not long after the warranty ran out.
    All the lighting stopped working whenever the display stopped.
    I narrowed it down to the display chip having a fault or bad connection(s) but had to take it apart to give it a nudge each time, eventually it refused to light up at all.
    And the right shift key was dodgy.
    I swore never again.

17. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    What about the Logitech G810? It looks better than the G910 and meets all your other criteria except for noise. I am partial to the Romer-G switches but everyone has their preference of course. Its the best keyboard I have ever used.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have a keyboard I like with one issue, noise lol.
    Thats why I'm looking for another.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You haven't used many.

jura11 likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks for the video it was very helpful.
    I guess this will become a large project if the QMX clips dont work well enough.

cryohellinc likes this.