What happen to my 2600XT :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lengcai, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    Hm Aerosparx, just a quick question:
    You have the same card (manufacturer) I have. Which drivers do you use?Can you OC or run the newer 3DMarks? I seem to have trouble with that.

2. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    v7.7, can't OC or run 3DMarks, nope.. Works fine though.

3. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well it certainly seems like a software issue, but I cant totally rule out the card may be faulty.

I'm afraid your best bet here would be a complete format & re-install. Use cat 7.6.

If the problems still occur, you can probably say its a faulty card.

4. dankeeys

dankeeys New Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 2600XT IceQ Turbo 256MB
    Problems...cont

Sorry if my spelling is poor (I am in a rush, with no office XP for spell check). I would urge no one to buy this card. I have had mostly the same problems as all outlined above, in addition to the following.

- Consistant artifacts in games such as Tiger Woods 07, F.E.A.R and even Half Life 2.

- This card has the same problems in windows vista as it does in windows xp. The fan runs at almost full speed on any resolution greater than 1024 x 768 when running desktop only, and then wierd as it sounds, actualy slows down when you run a game at 1220 x 768??

- After slogging F.E.A.R for an hour (playing round the artifacts) the temp reading is the same as running dekstop only (circa 45 C), when the fan actualy runs slower whilst gaming.

- 2 or 3 VPu recovers in about 4 days

- Fan bearings actualy almost failed after owning the card for 6 days, nice lound grinding noise 2-3 minutes after starting computer up.

- Fan can never find a happy medium, and it is always wooshing from slow to fast.

- ATI tools crashes the card imediatly

Conclusion - This card is clocked way higher than it can cope. Good chance that the temp reading are a waste of time, as they hardly move. Probably the memory is the fault of artifacting as is has no contact with the heatsink/fan combo, yet is clocked 100MHZ (800MHZ DDR 2, 1600) faster than the standard. God knows why the fan flings itself from almost silent to ear piercing loudnless 300 times an hour. And god knows why I thought a £59.00 2600 Xt with these clock speeds would be a good buy. Stay away!

5. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    While I am not entirely happy with my 2600XT, I cannot second that.

My card is incredibly silent, even under full load and OC via CCC by 100MHZ.
    It is even making less noise than the 6200 I had before and that really means something.

I've had no crashes, not VPU recovers, no slowdowns, no artifacts, no major problems. (OK CCC is crap, but that's not that imporant)

My only two wishes are OCing abilities in ATT (which is a problem of the tool not that card, even though no one cares in the ATT forum) and secondly that I can't run 3dMark (which seems to have been solved, I'll follow the advice and delete the dll tonight. If it really works - great!)

6. arfster

arfster Member

Post your brands guys. It's no use just saying "this card", they vary.

I've got a Sapphire 2600XT DDR3 myself. No stability problems, but it looks like the fan is constant speed (atitool can't alter it either, where it can for other brands' 2600xt cards).

Good: HD deinterlacing actually selects highest quality mode properly, unlike the 2400 series.

Bad: like all 2400/2600 cards, HD material is automatically level-expanded to 0-255 (SD isn't). ATI are working on fixing it, but who knows how long it'll take.

7. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    As I mentioned earlier - Atitool can't do anything with my card.
    No OCing no change in fan speed, nothing.

And arfster - the easiest way is to complete your profile and the manufacturer listed there.

Good that you mention video btw.
    I have trouble with some DVDs and avis now with my new 2600XT, not sure but I guess I just need to get new codecs / reinstall.

HD doesn't really matter to me (yet)

8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

Well if you wish to submit your card to Ray I'm sure he'd be more than willing to attempt develop the OC abilities. He cant do anything without the card to test.

If you're willing to help him, I'm sure he'd be willing to work something out.

There is no way to get it to work with ATT until Ray has a card to test, so stop giving out about it. He supports and updates ATT in his own free time, have a bit more respect.

9. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    Dude. I have no problem to give the greatest of respects to anyone doing something like that in their free time. But be careful before attacking me without knowing what you talk about.

I wrote "no one cares in the ATT forum" - which is true: I asked something about ATT and noone answers. A simple "Not supported yet, It is not you making a mistake, it doesn't work yet" would have been enough. I actually thought all the time I did something wrong or my card/drivers didn't work properly. I did not expect a solution, just an explanation. Thus the reasoning "no one cares".

And I wrote that I wish for "OCing abilities in ATT".

I do not see an insult in that. On the contrary, I think it is a good tool and that's why I want to use it.

Anyway, I am not going to waste my time with discussions like this. So from my side this matter's closed now

10. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well as Ray is the moderator of that forum, it sounded like you were being over critical by stating 'noone cares'

Support in most software takes time for a new product such as your 2600XT

11. dankeeys

dankeeys New Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 2600XT IceQ Turbo 256MB
    xpertvision 2600 XT

Sorry arfster, "this card" probably is a bit ambiguous, however I was under the impression that this thread was started in relation to the Xpertvision 2600XT? That asside however, has anyone upgraded to CAT 7.8 yet? This has sorted out the constant fan speed changes for me. Although the card is still producing some really bad artifacts.

12. eat

eat New Member

Yeah, I've got the same card (Xpertvision 2600xt Sonic) and running 7.8, the fan doesn't fluctuate as much. It still does it sometimes though.

Less BSoDs as well. On 7.7 I used to get infinite driver loop errors about once every two hours? So far, it's only been twice since 7.8 came out. (This is under XP btw).

Under Vista 64, it still has a complete sad when required to run stuff requiring hardware acceleration (e.g. Aero). I can't even play hold-em poker without hundreds of white lines appearing across my screen and the vid card making dying noises.

Card's been RMA-ed once already sooooo... I'm still hoping that 7.9 or 8.0 will finally fix stuff for me.

BTW, regarding fan speed fluctuations...

Under 7.7, my vid card was idling at about 40 degrees and the fan was fluctuating like mad. Under 7.8, it idles about 2-5 degrees higher? Fan is much more stable as well. (Temps taken from both CCC and ATITool).

What's interesting though is that if I open ATITool (using 0.27b) and set the fan speed to a constant 49%, my vid card idles at 50-ish (60 at load). This is incidentally the same sort of range reported by ppl with Sapphire cards (who apparently don't have the problems with BSoDs that we have and who also seem to report that their vid card fan is pretty constant).

So, I'm thinking that maybe Xpertvision have set the fanspeed on their cards to a higher speed for some reason? (has to be at least over 49% fan speed... fluctuating up to 100% on occasions). Also, I've kinda noticed on my computer that just before I get a BSoD, it'll always be pre-empted by the vid card fan spinning up to 100%. Maybe it's the dodgy fan speed control that's stuffing with the card?

Anyway, going to set the fan speed at a constant 49% for a few days and see if I have any more errors with XP. Hahaha fingers crossed for Cat 7.9 yeh :p

13. arfster

arfster Member

14. edwardecl

edwardecl New Member

I also have the same problem with the MSI HD2600XT (512MB ddr3).

I know for a fact it aint overheating because of fan speed because it's impossible as this has a heatpipe heatsink not a fan. This card BSODs with 3dmark03 - 06 if I dont rename the dll that does the hardware detection. And ati tray tools causes a BSOD instantly.

I have had many VPU recoverys just using firefox. But i can leave the comp on all day doing nothing and it dont crash, ive also played a hddvd on it for 3 hours and no crash. Played bioshock on it for 3 hours and not a crash either.

But as soon as i start ati tray tools BSOD, or use firefox for 10 mins = vpu recover. I don't get it... any suggestions???

15. aernouts

aernouts Active Member

Hi guys

i have the ASUS HD2600 XT ddr4 version
    and this came with an ASUS driver and a few tools (SmartDoctor, GamerOSD)

and all i can say i do have it for a month or so and everything runs very smooth
    OC is no problem at all (you can even do it while your playing a game :))

2. fancontrol works very smooth aswell, .....automaticly from 20 %... to 100%

so i am very happy with the ASUS version

16. edwardecl

edwardecl New Member

Like I say games run fine, just not so sure about those apps bluescreening me. That sort of thing is neither desirable nor acceptable. In the past if the card didn't work with a particular tool it would just not work not BSOD on me... maybe they should test the cards on a few apps such as 3dmark (isn't that the standard for benchmarking) or at least warn you :banana:

Other than that it's good. But then again i remember when ati drivers used to be crap and bluescreening in games was a common occurance which didn't end up getting fixed in the driver for months. Just hope it's not a return to that.

Edit: oh my card came with some tools as well... I got a file encrypter and a tool to "free memory" in windows 95 - 2000, and some sort of "security software".

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a graphics card but whatever, and no I didn't install anoy of them :-D.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  17. cesaroco

cesaroco Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD7970
    those persons with vpu recover problem discovered how to stop it ??? I'm having the same problem and i can't play because of it (i have a gigabyte 2600xt gddr3 256)