What games will Nvidia MFAA work in? (And other MFAA questions) -- Thanks,

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Aug 3, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    For example, I noticed Diablo 3's GeForce profile recommends control panel MFAA ON, but I've read elsewhere that in many titles MFAA does not work at all. For this feature, I have a few questions:

1) Does it only work in games that support traditional MSAA anti-aliasing or is it game API dependent?
    2) In games that are supported do you have to have MSAA enabled in-game for control panel MFAA to do anything or can control panel MFAA be enabled without in-game MSAA being ON?
    3) To turn control panel MFAA ON, all you do is flip the flag in the control panel profile, correct? Or do you also need to change the "anti-aliasing mode" setting as well (to override or enhance the application setting then set strength, that sort of thing)?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I guess the game needs to be MSAA supported (which is rare since the deferred-shading era, so roughly since late DX9, early DX10 times) and you need to either force MSAA from the NVPC or use Enhanced and turn MAAA on in-game.
    Mind that some games (with deferred-shading and DX>=10) support MSAA on paper but it doesn't really really work well (it doesn't resolve all the visible aliasing, only some of it). In these cases MFAA will probably work the same way (only work on some edges but not all of them).

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that's helpful!

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    anything low cpu-intensive.
    using it in high cpu-intensive titles will hurt your framerate.

BlindBison likes this.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070