What game started off PC gaming for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Steven Hone, Dec 9, 2007.

1. winny

winny Active Member

GPU:
    OCS (Fat Agnus, Denise, Paula)
    Earth 2150: Escape From The Blue Planet

2. ninelives

ninelives Guest

Heretic II !!! this was my 1st online game. before that I was playing quite a number of single player. but it is Heretic II that let me know how fun it can be playing online compare to offline.

I still remembered i skipped work to play heretic ii. :) i skipped for a week untill i got fired, hahaha, those days....

who here's played heretic ii online before? my in-game nick was also ninelives.

but long before that i played atari, nintendo 8 bit, sega 16 bit, sega cd, 3DO, etc....

i dont play much on playstation because i sold my 3DO for a computer. my 1st computer was a Pentium 133 Mhz.

so you can roughly guess my age. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  3. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300

SAME

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Battlefield 2, i used to play games( lots and lots of them ) on just crappy PC's with low spec rubbish gfx cards with onboard sound. Its the only game that made me want to play with great visuals and sound

5. Chris85

Chris85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD5800
    some black and white F1-racing game i think...

was on an old 286 or 386...

also remember a skying game on the commodore64

don't quite remember it tbh

first game that i played full-on for hours on end was GTA2 on a P3 800 with 512mb ram and a Geforce 3 Ti200

ooh the days...

rofl

6. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    I played around with Commander Keen and few of the other oldies but goodies but never got seriously into PC gaming until the original System Shock came out in 1993/4. That game was way ahead of its time.

7. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    test drive 1, california games. the original 16 color spiderman game,
    12 mhz is all you needed for most of those. There were all kinds of 5.25" floppy disk games I played but their names avoid me. Eventually i moved up to a 286 after the original 8086, then came the 486 days where doom came in. R.o.t.t., all kinds of great games. Online it had to be quake dm and quake TF, i was clanning it up then, when I had the time, just out of high school. Loved it.

Then CS took over after quake got old. CSS now. Sadly CS has been my fav game since ...sheesh....almost 8 years now....
    wowzuh im old.

8. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    Tie Fighter was the first game that got me hooked. thiunk i had a 486 dx100 or something. ugh.

9. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    yes!! that test drive was fantastic but so hard

and summer/winter games i think on the c64 where you had to move the joystick like a crazy idiot left and right for most of the disciplines :banana:
    so great in multiplayer

10. brynomon

brynomon New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD3870
    I couldn't resist posting in this thread. Chances are high most of you have never heard of the first game that got me into pc games.

Pitfall on a Kaypro and Apple IIe

Then there was the first RPG - The coveted Mirror on the apple IIe.

11. spartan82

spartan82 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @950/1250
    i think the first real pc game i ever played was redneck rampage...:3eyes:

12. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Early 1990's...I started out with Commander Keen, mixed-up mothergoose (no homo), cosmos cosmic adventure, bio menace, omf2097. We had all the latest games as they all eventually came out. I remember the Interplay Battle Chess game. I still have the manual that includes all of the game codes you had to put in before you could play. All my uncles were big with computer games so they were always loaded on my grandpa's computer. It was a IBM 486 and it had a "turbo" button next to the reset switch.

My uncle paul wrote a program that was like a front-end loader for ms dos. We typed games at the dos prompt and then it would load a menu with all the games listed and we could just choose what to play. A lot easier than typing c:\>games\keen\keen1.exe or whatever it was.

13. kamikaze666

kamikaze666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gts 320 MB @ 575/1700
    cant really remember, musta been something like this:

snipes 1982:
    [​IMG]

14. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    It was Elite for me on my parents Amstrad. Playing in 4 shades of grey got a bit jerky during dogfights so most of the time had to play it in wire frame mode :nerd:

15. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    command and conquer and/or diablo were my first pc games.. can't remember which i got first. Loved playin my 66mhz with 32mb of ram..and a stick of 32 costed like 200 bucks back then hahah

16. effects69

effects69 Member

GPU:
    BFG OC 8800 ultra
    Unreal. I was totaly hooked on the unreal games since then. That must be going back to 1997 or sumit now. Played every unreal, UT since. Tried other games. But get bored of them very quick. Just sumit about UT**** that does it for me. Even got to the standard of being a division 1 insta player now. I just love em :)

17. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Slightly off topic but i have to mention it.

I used to own a Vectrex by MB(milton bradley).

Unbelieavable thing this was and made by a toy manufacturer.

As its name suggests it used vector graphics with a coloured sheet in front of the screen to give you colours. Perfect lines and circles could be created.

Minestorm(asteroids type game) was brilliant and massively addictive. and scramble was an exact copy of the arcade(or near as dammit).

Miss it alot. I used to travel miles just to buy a new cartridge EVERY weekend.

Maybe you can still get them on ebay or something.

Anyone remember this or owned one.

PabloFunky

I am pretty old

18. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    chuck yeager's air combat!

19. raulramos

raulramos Member

GPU:
    Point of View GTX470
  20. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Playing Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit on my mates pc which had a Voodoo GPU (cant remeber the model i was only 9-10) and glide played so beautifully =( I MISS VOODOO!