What game started off PC gaming for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Steven Hone, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Leatherface

Leatherface Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS (stock)
    I third that, Quake III Arena did it for me and that is what got me into PC gaming, played that game nonstop, great game. Quake III for Dreamcast was awsome as well, played the maps from the Dreamcast on the PC version, those maps were sweet maps to play on, although it wasent online as i don't think that alot of people was playing those maps at the time.

2. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Very cool thread!
    I don't remember doing actually playing it, but apparently i played Death Rally a lot when it was first released. Fury was another one i really liked.
    What really got me started was Counter-Strike though. I played a little of it one day at a country club, must have been a beta. Map was assault, and I killed someone with a usp!

3. Alcom

Alcom Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    I got an Atari 2600 when I was 5, gaming it up with "Donkey Kong", "Centipede", "Space Invaders", that war game with tanks and planes and "Ice Hockey". I'm 30 now so back then, it was the shizz. Well, my friends down the road had a Colleco and an Intellivision with "Space Hunter" and stuff, but I didn't get a computer until I was 7.

That was an Apple 2E clone by the name of Apco. I had a course in logo and soon I was playing
    • "Lemonade Stand" (guess how much lemonade to buy based on the weather forecast)
    • "Thunder Chopper" (heli sim)
    • "Deathsword" (a 1 on 1 fighter featuring the first digital decapitation, if my sources are right)
    • "Karateka" (Jordan Mechner prequel to Prince of Persia)
    • "Load Runner" (that's still around, I bet)
    • "Boulder Dash" (I barely remember what this was but I recognize the name)
    • "Montezumas Revenge" (like Pitfall I guess, but no jungle)
    • "Rescue Raiders" (I still this it was one of the best games of all time: to this day, I compare every game to its dynamics)
    • "Maniac Mansion" (yeah, I heard that one in here- ancient gurus represent!)
    • One I can't remember: please help with this one, old guys:
      You start as a guy in a loin cloth throwing rocks and slowly put together parts of a space suit that allows you to fly and shoot while avoiding drips of acid and destroying power core thingys. Ring any bells?

As far as my first actual "PC" goes (486 66mHz with 8mb RAM?), it was Wolfenstein 3d, then Doom then Doom II, Carmageddon, Unreal Tournament, yadda yadda yadda.

4. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    The first games that got me into PC gaming were Destruction Derby and Need For Speed SE, both played on a 233mhz Pentium Pro with 32mb ram and I think a 4mb SiS pci card. The game that got me into online gaming was Halo for PC in early 2004, I played that on Dell Dimension with a 900mhz P3, 160mb ram, and a Geforce 4 mx4000 64mb pci.

5. p-nut

p-nut Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond 5870
    Counterstrike, the original one. It's either that or Age of Empires, I forgot.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I was raised a console baby with wonderful parents such as Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger on SNES. To this day I still uphold my values for a great story over graphics because of those games. For PC, I started going to my friends house which had like 6 PC's LAN'd up and would play the original CS for a little while. Growing up with consoles, I had a hard time grasping the whole mouse/keyboard thing and stopped playing PC's until Dungeon Siege came out. Since then I've been gaming on PC, Xbox, Xbox360, and Wii. That's my gaming life story in a nutshell, a very small nutshell.

7. The_AC

The_AC Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X
    Commander Keen in first grade.

8. yasendi

yasendi Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 590
    I started abit earlier with Prince of Persia 1 and 2 also the Lucas Arts adventures (Monkey Island and Indiana Jones) also sierra adventure (KingQuest and other xxQuest series) then follwed by fps games like Wolf 3D, Doom and Quake and Quake 2 which I was guru in. I miss my 3Dfx voodo sli

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i started with LOOM it was an adventure game and till this day i have never forgotten it was a very unique game, think it was year 1990 and a paltry 80286 12mhz pc, afterwards i gaming begun and i was hooked on Monkey Island, PoP, Sierra Quest series, larry, Wolfenstein etc etc. good times.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  10. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    Oscar! oh man i remeber that game.

Along with James Pond,Lemmings,Doodle bug,Desert strike,Apidya,Chuck Rock,Mr Nutz,Bubba and Styx,Brian the Lion.Oh man i can go on forever like this.

11. suzukhawaii

suzukhawaii Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX570
    HL2 was what started me off. Until then I thought PC games were lame and I really didn't know anything about them. Played HL2 on a friends PC and Gary's Mod and it was all over. Nothing but PC for me now :)

12. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    It had to be sam and max :D or monkey island ¤_¤ i loved this game back in the days :O

Good that we still have sam and max ^_^

13. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    Pre PC, was my Amstrad CPC. I had a game(cant think of name) you could do daft things like jump in a washing machine(the game was in a house)go outside and pee. pick up a pen and stab somebody with it.

go to the reading room and read a book. turn on a computer or turn off a computer(which tuned of the amstrad) What a strange game.

14. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    I was gaming on a Vic20 and Apple][ well before gaming on an actual PC. Omega Race and Dam Busters comes to mind. From then on I gamed on and on until this very day. Hell if we really drill down to it, Pong was the first and starting game that had me hooked on playing electronic games.

15. Taman Linkin

Taman Linkin Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    Manx TT SBK, Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2.

16. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Quest for Glory 2 - Trial by Fire

17. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Tetris... the original.

God I'm old.

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    Started with amiga 500 ( still have it ) and when we got first PC we just bouth games... Still have 90% of those DOS / WIN95 games we got.

19. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Oy, let's see...

First game? I remember watching my dad play Wolfenstein 3D back when everyone loved shareware.

As for the game that started me was probably Sim City 2000. I loved that game. I also loved Math Blaster and Chex Quest. But the three that made me go to PC gaming full force were Half-Life (and mods, oh man, the mods...), Age of Empires II (with expansion), and Sim City 3000 Unlimited. I remember many a LAN party where we would play AoE2 over the network. Rather unusual group we were as we rarely played shooters over the network even though we all loved them in singleplayer.

20. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    DOOM!

The greatest feeling ever!
    I still remember how excited i was playing that game in the dark.
    The first thing in 3D that was scary.
    I played that game for hours and hours!

:thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007