What game started off PC gaming for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Steven Hone, Dec 9, 2007.

1. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    Need for Speed II with a upgrade to a ti4200 , Showed me and started me thinking that better hardware does make a big differenence in game play . Far Cry was free with a 6800gt , this is what got me hooked ! Now that I'm all grown up and much smarter , this PC crap cost way to much , which is why the gaming consoles will win in the end !!

I vote for " FAR CRY " for my down fall , know a good LAWYER that I should call !

My life has been SH!T ever since !!

Just kidding !!

LOL

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    For me it was DOOM.. man those were the days. Playing it on my first 486dx2. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever that game..

and look where we are now!

3. cgr3786

cgr3786 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 7950 GT 512MB
    medal of honor spearhead. Multiplayer of course:biggun:

4. grenzdebil

grenzdebil New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS 460 1GB
    I played Lemmings on a 386 when I was 5 or 6 years old, that was my first PC gaming experience ever and I quickly got addicted. :)
    A year after I got my own PC. A C64 with a 1541-II disk drive which I would say, started my gaming career.
    I played games like Maniac Mansion, Turrican or Impossible Mission and many others until i got my own x86 machine in 1994 at the age of 11.

A mighty 286 with awesome 12 Mhz, 1 Mb Ram and a monochrome graphics card that enabled me to play games like Prince of Persia, Sokoban and Blockout in dazzling 2 colors!
    After upgrading to a VGA card, i could even play X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle and all those other games that I couldn't play before.

To conclude this...everything started with playing Lemmings. If my mums boyfriend hadn't sat me in front of his fathers PC to get rid of me I wouldn't be the freak I am today. :)

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Wolfenstein 3D, Monkey Island, F15 Strike Eagle

6. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    starcraft and half life1

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    originally, it was seeing the graphics of Shadow of the Beast for the Amiga 500. but i coudlnt afford an amiga, was a kid that just dreamed about pc gaming like that.

however initially what made me buy a home computer just for games was seeing Unreal being played on Techtv (now g4tv) compared to my N64, i was like wow

8. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    HL1 on a AMD 1.3ghz 256 ram and onboard savage 3d. Then I went and tryed to play FarCry:3eyes:

9. Leodie

Leodie Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I think it was F16 Falcon 2.0, it was lagging like a mofo and i had no sound. But it was fun, rushed home from school to play, lol.

[​IMG]

10. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    F-22 ADF, best combat simulation for its time. before that i was hooked on Grand Prix 2 and Sim City 2000.
    Then i moved on to Quake 3 and played it non stop for 2 years

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    First time i played i was like 5-6yrs on a spectrum i think, but then i saw C64 at my friends house and was totally hooked up, he had like 10 -20 tapes and we played on and on :)
    Later i got me a 486 dx2 80mhz lol with 16mb ram, and played arcade games most of the time, Winter games, summer games, Golden axe, JJrabbit, rayman, komander ken, Death rally, another world, some zombie shooter, duke nukem3d,...
    lol a long time ago:infinity:

12. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I got a Packerbell that come with a intel 486 DX2 66mhz, 8mb, and a onboard video that can be upgrade to 1mb video memory. Back than i don't know nothing about computer I got Wolfenstein 3D it won't run on it. Than one of my friend have Diablo so he install the share install thing on my so i can join him that was fun but what really got me start is when I went to my friend's buddy house his borther have a P1 200mhz with 64mb of mem and a sound blaster 16 I think he was playing RAGE INCOMING that look so good I than start learn about comp and saving money 3 years later i got a compaq and bought a VOODOO 3 PCI and i can finally play INCOMING than come QuakeIII, UT and so on till now

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  13. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Captain Comic
    Maniac Mansion
    Ecoquest
    King's Quest VI
    Wolfenstein 3D

The VERY first PC games I remember playing on my family's old Magnavox PC in the late 80s/early 90s were Captain Comic and Maniac Mansion. Man, Maniac Mansion freaked me out when I was a kid...

Everything was pre-installed on that PC and it came with those two games plus some text based mystery games that were just f*cking AWESOME... I remember this one text based game, I think it was called "Murder in the Museum" or something.....there was also another one that literally scared me when I was a kid... It was a text-only game where you were trapped in some kind of labyrinth and there were monsters trying to kill you.... Even though those games were text-only, I thought they were additctive.

Then my Dad got a subscription to Sierra's Interaction magazine, and I remember looking through the pages and seeing these newer PC games coming out with amazing, beautiful graphics like King's Quest VI. We got a cool game called Ecoquest (if anyone remembers that one) and King's Quest VI...they just blew my mind. I remember King's Quest was something like 10 floppys worth of data (nope didn't have the CD version).... Funny thing is, I never beat Ecoquest and we ended up buying an official hintbook just to beat King's Quest VI (it was so damn hard).

One day around that time, we were at the local mall and stopped by a Babbage's store that just opened up (now Gamestop), and they had playable demo versions of Wolfenstein 3D and I had to have it. First FPS I ever played.

Man....great memories....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  14. Retrolock

Retrolock Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Well, when I was a kid I used to go to my mom's office to play pc games like Alley Cat, Digdug on her IBM PC-XT. We used 5.25 floppy disks for those games.

15. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
    BF2....coming from a ps2 I was utterly amazed at the gfx and everything else. it was my very first online experience. It all started on a Nvidia FX5200. I got so hardcore into it that it consumed my life when I wasn't at school. Joined the 21cw and tried out multiple clans..damn that reminds me OFF TO PLAY BF2! :D this game is still great!

16. Kollunz

Kollunz Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    Unreal Tournament

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    My first computer was an Amiga 1200. First game I ever played on that was Oscar. About the same era I was also heavily into Nigel Mansel racing, Commander Keen series, doom, wolfenstein, etc, however these were on friends pc's.

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    A while back when I was a kid... played a game called Maximum Velocity but it was a shareware game and we accidentally formatted the disks for it so we started to play Descent 1... From there it went to Doom/Quake/UT... the rest of the Descent series... Warcraft series... Diablo Series... StarCraft Series!!! etc.... hehe

Onboard Video... Voodoo 2... Geforces... Radeon 8500s... Geforce again...! hahah i love games and technology evolving....

19. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    Sonic for PC with Anime Intro
    MechWarrior 2 ATI Rage Edition
    N4S - High Stakes
    Novalogics: F-16/Mig29/F-22 Flight Sim I had all three.
    Unreal Tournament / Mod - Strike Force
    Delta Force Black Hawk Down (Played this for I dunno how long).
    Raven Shield

These games is what I remember keeping me pinned to my desk.

20. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I honestly can't remember, it wasn't all that long ago in the scheme of things but it's blur city. Earliest ones that I can remember are Commander Keen and some submarine game which was on a real floppy disk. The main one which dragged me in was Duke Nukem 3d, I was actually making maps for that with force fields and everything, all at under the age of 10. Of course Half Life is in there but I was already started on gaming before that.