What game started off PC gaming for you?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Steven Hone, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I was a bit late to computers, didn't get my own computer until I was 18 (I'm now 28). In fact when I was in high-school (1997) we only had one computer lab and the internet was brand new technology (at least it was to me), lol! Alright enough blabbing, the first game I played on a computer was Myst (don't remember what version it was but I had played it well before I got to high-school, must have been around 1990 (give or take).

The first game I purchased on my own to play on my own computer was Syberia and then URU. When I first started gaming I was big into those adventure games even though the graphics were nothing special. The storys on the other hand were awesome (in my opinion) and that is what got my hooked on computers and computer gaming. In fact gaming was what got my excited about computer hardware as well. The first thing I did was upgraded my graphics card! Sorry to give my life story but it was fun reading through others posts about their first games and it brought back memories!

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    In terms of actual games? Doom 1 at age 5.

3. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Wolfinstein3d :D

4. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    Quake II or Half life, I can't remember exactly which one though. I actually got "hooked" (like started to invest in my pc and such) after playing Half-Life 2.

5. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Diablo, some guy at work told me about it, it had been out for atlest a year or so, and i had a AMD 475 with a Voodoo 2 card in it, that i used to run a small home E-shop.
    I got hooked and never looked back, i ended up pimping that PC out had duel Voodoo 2's 2x 64megs of ram! god them was the days!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. midweskid

midweskid Guest

For me it was 1996, i was 7 and my mom would take me to her college when she had her classes and i would stay in the computer labs or library. Not sure exactly what the game was, it resembled a earlier version of warcraft or warhammer. Since then Ive been fascinated with computer, though i didn't get a computer till 2002-2003. And even then it was a computer that would have been top notch in 1999.

7. Hey Mario®

Hey Mario® Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GT SC
    Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty :cool:

8. GoGetta09

GoGetta09 Member

GPU:
    Dual 8800GT 512MB
    played doom and wolfenstein growing up, but i didnt really get into pc gaming seriously until counter strike came out. I got hooked on to CS version 1.1 after a friend of mine showed me on his computer that you could play against other real live people online, how cool was that? the concept blew me away and I have been a pc gamer ever since.

9. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Asteroids.

(Sonny.:D)

10. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    battlefield 2 baby, when i saw that game i was gaga, then i heard it was coming out on ps2 so i was reasonably happy, but then i convinced my parents to get me a computer that could handle it and so i got a dell one and that game. Since then i have barely touched my ps2. Pc games look so much better and are a lot more fun than stupid console games i think. I think the next big game i look forward to is either mercs 2 or fallout 3.

11. JoPiss

JoPiss Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI
    I remember hating pc gaming, growing up I used to look at posters for pc games that had out standing visuals, until you loaded it up. Even on high, the games looked like crap compared to the pictures, and there'd always be the biggest, coolest dude in the whole game shown, while in reality, you have to play for HOURS to see him in all his ugly, dumbed down glory.

Worse yet, we never had machines built for gaming, we had whatever one my dad could find that would connect to the internet and his new printer. So the games I played ended up looking like trash and ran slow as all hell. I couldn't understand why games felt so horrible on a machine that they were made for, until I was eleven and saw my first alien ware.

Not only were they beautiful, but were said to be unbelievably fast. Of coarse, I couldn't see my parents spending a good $2,000-3,000 to play a game I already had on XBOX (Doom 3), so I couldn't see what that was like.

I'm now 14 and have spent the majority of my time researching technology and how it works. I now know much more than your average pc user, and I've got to say, I never got into pc gaming.
    I'm currently trying to save up from work (I work at a theme park making $6.25 [$1.10 over minimum wage in Utah] an hour) to get my dream machine.

12. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    I think it was SimCity 2000.... :)

13. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

You arn't the only one. Good luck in this noble cause!

14. Whiteraven

Whiteraven Member Guru

GPU:
    (2X) BFG 8800GTS OC 640mb
    Original Quake..
    Then Diablo