What does "Fast Sync" do when G-Sync is enabled?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Apr 15, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I'm not a fan of Fast Sync personally due to how jittery/stuttery it can make games look, but I noticed in Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 that if I don't enable Ultra Low Latency mode OR if I don't turn on Fast Sync then the game caps itself internally to about 60 FPS ... for some reason.

Ideally I would like to keep Future Frame Rendering/Max Prerendered Frames at the default value/enabled for this title so that means Fast Sync would be the way to go VS ULLM in my case.

Except, what will happen if I turn it on while G-Sync in enabled? Will it just not kick in unless I reach the screen refresh rate? My hope is that I could have G-Sync ON + Fast Sync ON (instead of the typical recommended V-Sync ON) for these specific games then just cap below refresh by ~4 frames or so so that it never kicks in.

I'll try to test this myself eventually, but I've gotta redownload the games and figured someone here might already know. Thanks for your time,

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    yes

it feels great when you're getting over 200fps

BlindBison likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It behaves analogous to vsync. If FPS is below max refresh rate, it just ensures correct frame scanout without tearing. If FPS reaches max refresh rate, it does what fast sync normally does, it runs the game with vsync OFF internally, but applies vsync on frame scanout by picking the most recently presented frame by the game.

Undying and BlindBison like this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks, that helpful!