What do you use your tablets for?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by StewieTech, Jan 4, 2014.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I bought one yesterday, it´s fine, i like it, but now i´m looking at it and i´ve reached the conclusion that i have no use for it that my pc or smarphone cant do. I mean should i play with it?:3eyes:

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sit on the couch to watch some videos, i find my phone too small for browsing chatting and watching videos when im moving around my home, also the tablet last a lot more and you always have your phone charged for when you have to go out

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Well the magic of the night. Im laying my ass on my bed listening to music, playing some Carmageddon and Sonic 2, watching some YouTube, checking my mail and writing this message. Now i see, this is a toy to play around. Enjoying it :)

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The only time i use my tablet is when im going on an aeroplane, i use it to watch movies, otherwise it never gets turned on.

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I only use mine like once a month. At least I got it dirt cheap.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I use mine when I want to sit on the couch and watch TV....or watch a movie without bothering my wife. Works great for those times I want to browse the forum from the couch as well.

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I use mine for programming very old electronic hardware (a Fujitsu Stylistic 1200 with Windows 95) or work (currently a Motion LE1700... runs AutoCAD and a few dozen other proprietary programs). I've been using tablet PCs since 2001... not really a fan of these new 'media consumption' things, mostly because they sit in an odd place between usefulness and portability for me.

8. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I find them to be a waste, the kids just watch YouTube on them. I have no other practical use for them and will never buy another one.

My phone is the same way, at first I loaded up all kinds of crap on it, thought it was cool but now it just serves its purpose as a phone and text messaging.

9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Do yourself a favor! Return that trash and get a laptop

10. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    We also have tablets, but meh I just used it for playing a few games.

And now it's in the desk for a few months already..

It's just boring.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    LMAO @ the elitist PC master race.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I recently sold my iPad so I don't have one anymore but when I owned it, the only time I would use it was for entertainment while pooping

13. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Nexus 7 here. Using it about 3-4 hours a day. Reading, internet, forums, news, music, some youtube when I search for something in particular while on a couch or in bed. Rarely a movie. When I'm out of town it kinda saves your life when you're on a boring business trip. E-mails and even some document editing. It's a joketo do all these things on a phone due to the small screen. For all the serious stuff there's a PC.

14. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I bought a used Nexus 7 the other day....

Story:
    I was riding my bike in the dark in an unlit back street in Tokyo. Hit a curb at full speed and lost my phone in the dark hahaha. Not a big deal because that phone was a few years old and slow. Bought a used Nexus 7 for $130 because I didn't want to buy another outdated phone.

I mostly use it for GPS, communicating over Wifi when available because I don't have a data plan in Japan, and listening to music on long subway rides. I'm happy with the speed.

I've been looking at games on it, but not much has interested me. I did used to play PSOne games on my Android phone, so maybe I'll use the tablet for that.

*Edit, just bought the FPSe app to play some PSone games.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  15. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I use mine for watching catch up tv when I'm bored at work, or I'm traveling. Other than that I never use it.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    no network troubleshooting over wifi,scan wifi blind spots?
    when troubleshooting dead/faulty motherboards,a tablet will show a pdf or a schematic
    maybe i am too old school ..

17. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Member Guru

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    If I happen to have one, I will use it as a co-pilot with some neural network running in it. It will learn cumulatively everything I add into it. After some critical point, it will start suggesting things like "no, dont overclock your fx8150 to 4.6GHz, it will just blow your PSU".

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    iPad + p0rn = no spyware. Just saying.

Btw I sent this from my iPad.

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I do the same stuff as I would with laptop + carry it around like it was a tablet...

Rocking with MS Surface Pro here.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have an Retina Display iPad mini and an iPad 4 and I use both for at least two hours per day between them and often longer.

I subscribe to various magazines such as Edge, gamesTM and Sci-Fi Now and find them great to read on a tablet with a 10" 4:3 screen, far more so than on a smartphone which has a restrictive 16:9 aspect ratio. Even the iPad mini is great for reading on, especially books. I also browse the internet plus listen to music and watch YouTube videos as well as iPlayer while I'm in bed (not so easy to do that on a PC!). I also play the odd game but that's not why I bought a tablet. If I'm browsing the internet then I actually prefer to do it on a tablet than a PC unless it is posting on forums (where I prefer to have a proper keyboard).

I think a tablet is probably the most useful thing I've ever bought and I love the fact that its so portable and easy to use compared with a PC or even a laptop. While Smartphones are also handy, I would much rather play games, read, watch videos and browse the internet on an iPad because the experience is just so much better IMO. Even viewing photos is better on a tablet than a smartphone because their 8" and 10" screens more approximate a picture frame!