What Do You Think Of Kingston OEM ValueRAM For Laptops?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Boris_yo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7400
    Would it be better to get Kingston OEM ValueRAM from my local dealer and getting lifetime warranty, instead of ordering on eBay from another country by sacrificing on warranty?

Also what OEM stand for when it comes to laptop memory?

2. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Kingston OEM ValueRAM is probably fine if you don't plan on overclocking the laptop. Most laptops/prebuilt PC's usually come standard with Kingston or some other brand of ValueRam. Kingston is one of the better valueram companies from my experience.

They would not be my first choice for a build; however, if you do not have access to a supplier who sells other brands(G.Skill, Crucial, etc)-the kingston may be the best way to go if the price is right.

3. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7400
    Original Equipment Manufacturer?

I know what this means when it comes to laptops/PCs with Windows. It means that Windows was targetted specifically at specific laptop's brand having drivers special for that brand's laptop.

In case of memory, it means memory was targetted at specific brands of laptops? I mean if Kingston says OEM then that memory modules could have been targetted at other specific brands of laptops, not specifically mine?

4. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI

Yes, it could be the case that the Kingston Ram you are looking at did come in a specific laptop model at one time but that just means it was part of the "Original Equipment" build-so that ram becomes labeled an OEM part but its not specific to any laptop.

If the Kingston RAM is tagged as NEW OEM RAM than it just means it was bought by a company and intended to be a new part in a laptop that never got built or a spare part that was never used in repairs. But RAM is not designed for one laptop and then for another-it is interchangeable to some extent depending on the motherboard.

So "RAM is RAM" so to speak.

As long as the ram specifications match your old RAM and what your motherboard supports, the Kingston ram will probably work just fine. You may want to find out what model motherboard you have and browse around the net for a RAM compatibility list. Sometimes those can be really helpful to make sure a specific companies ram, like Kingston, has been tested on that motherboard. Also you can usually find out the max supported memory with this kind of document or just a general specs list.

But, if the specifications match what your system supports-you have very good chances that the ram will work in the system regardless of what brand it is. Occasionally there are weird compatibility
    issues but they are pretty rare.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

5. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7400
    There are Kingston RAM and Kingston ValueRAM for laptops. Kingston RAM is a ram which is optimized for specific brands. But if i take that module intended for lenovo and place it into HP, then i guess it will work as ValueRAM or worse won't work normally.

6. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Yes, chances are it will work if the speed, voltage, and timings are within what that system supports.

But there is a chance it won't work normally. It is a risk.