What do You think is the Best Pc game EVER?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nz3777, Nov 17, 2015.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I would like to go with:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

That prison escape scene where you get out of the tunnels to the outside world; the view was simply breathtaking, supported by epic background music. I have that soundtrack saved on my PC. Playing it takes me back to that moment. It was my first ever PC that could handle a game like that, so it was something totally special. Great game IMO.

2. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    You make a good point on the "PC" moniker. Yes, the C64, Atari 800, Amiga and whatever else was out there at the time were all technically "personal computers". But I hasten to point out that at the time, IBM was licensing its computer architecture to dozens of companies whose products were in turn commonly referred to as "PC clones". If memory serves me, this was a term derived from IBM as the company referred its own product as an "IBM PC" (or maybe it was the industry itself that made it up). Just a little item to make note of in any historical discussion of the development of personal computing.

To this day I still consider my first PC as the Gateway 486 (Pentium) I bought in 1994...10 years after I bought my first Commodore 64. The Commodore 64 was advertised as a home computer. Eventually, all non-IBM computers (except Apple) were for the most part pushed out of business by the flood of PC clones. Ironically, the opposite was happening in Europe where the most popular computer there was the Amiga. Sadly, Amiga closed its doors for good in 1994 which is why I made the transition.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Yeah, after the Atari 800 and Atari 130XE, we got an IBM 8086 (in '87?) with a massive 14" monochrome (green) monitor. I seem to recall Earl Weaver Baseball as my 1st actual (IBM) PC game. I loved that game. A great simulator. Later we got a 286 and eventually a 486DX/2 (which was the most incredible PC advancement I ever recall, to this day).

Man we've come a long way with PC horsepower and gaming since the 80s.

4. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think my first eye opener was Myst. I spent hours drawing pictures and writing down clues. Opened my eyes to PC games.

But my "wow" moment was with UNREAL. Waking in that crashed ship and all the ambient sounds, shocked and awed me. The Quake games were also good.

To this day though I would say my favorite is the first Halflife and Halflife 2 being my second favorite.

5. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Although I have always loved PC games. It wasn't until the early 90's that i got really hooked.
    My first real wow moment was ultima underworld, followed by Quake and tomb raider in GLIDE. Ultima was the first game where i thought wow it's like your really there! And those two early glide games were like a revolution in PC graphics. totally blew me a away.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Call of Duty 1 + United Offensive and World of Warcraft are on my list.

7. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This brings back memories.

Had a smoking Intel 33 hz processor, massive 256 mb of memory, Voodoo 2 video card and an aureal vortex sound card "Before" they were bought out by Creative. "Creative stole their technology and then fought Aureal in court until Aureal went bankrupt. Then purchased the company.

Playing Quake in Glide was awesome, and the positional sound was great.

The sound card and video card came with flawless drivers that were never updated for the life of the cards "At least for as long as I owned them" and played flawless in every game thrown at them.

Anyway, getting off topic now. So I apologize.

8. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah Unreal blew me away, I remember I upgraded to 24mb ram to run it smoothly with my voodoo2, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I ran towards the water it was the most realistic water I'd ever seen.

9. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    If you would like to enjoy Unreal again and still have the original CD, go to the "www.oldunreal.com". The game has been completely reworked with new hi-res textures and maps and works on current versions of Windows. It's a bit of a job but no more difficult than your ability to follow installation instructions. When finished you will have both the original game and the add-on "Return to Na-Pali".

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Gotta agree but I had the same feeling with morrowind back in the day.

Still playing morrowind to this moment and enjoy it a lot. (Except for the godawful weird sound bugs.)

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Morrowind was the first RPG game with a massive, explorable world, filled with life and stuff to do. If you could see it, you could go there. You wanted to go there.

Open world gaming is everywhere now but the first time I played Morrowind and GTA 3 were possibly the last time I found games to be truly innovative in a fantastically "game-changing" way. Nothing else was like it. In the 80s and 90s we got a lot of those "wow" moments since games were running on hardware about as powerful as a calculator watch.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Loading floppy disk just to play Golden Axe...man, what a blast.
    Ffwd to Quake...man , i spent endless nights on this game.
    Then Half-Life was released.Played and replayed that game ..
    But there are sooo many many games...Diablo 1,2 , Arcanum, Legacy of Kain and Nosgoth saga...man that was a beatiful age of gaming
    Myst saga was awe inspiring,Oblivion ...HL2 and Episodes...
    Very difficult to say best game ever.