What do you all think of the Frostbite 2 engine?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by zhengzhoudave, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    actually i played crysis 2 maxed out with dx11 and found it to be better looking in some ways. but the light effects on bf3 really make it stand out. but all and all i thought bf3's graphics were a let down, and honestly i think maxed out witcher 2 looks better even though ubersampling is not smooth for me

2. remicius

remicius Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    in 1 word:magnificent

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    You can't be serious.

4. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    I think there is still room for lots of optimizations.
    As we are talking about engines here and not games I feel save to say this: The CryEngine 3 can put as beautiful images on the screen as FB2 and IMO it's more efficient while doing it. I know there are some technical features one engine has and the other doesn't but still.

I have a rather low-end GPU in terms of requirements for BF3 so this might affect my opinion a bit, but when two games (BF3 and C2) look stunning and one runs worse without it looking that much better on low to mid settings, I feel they can still do a lot of improvements.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    It´s a great engine, no doubt. The lighting is impressive and possibly the best in a videogame and it´s playable on any high end card. The only thing I don´t like is the GPU ram it uses for the textures.

But I still think that Crysis and Metro have better graphics.

By the way, I´m the only one that thinks that larger MP maps of BT3 look a lot like the larger MP maps of the original Crysis???

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    very good looking and pretty well optimised for the most part. Can pull in above 30fps min @ Ultra 1080p so I am very happy with it. Still it is best played at Medium settings for multiplayer for me. Keeps my fps above 70 all the time and most the time over 100fps for fast paced games. Single player I play at Ultra 1080p and just use Dxtory to cap the fps to 30 so it does not fluctuate all over the place.

Either going to wait for the next gen of cards, or just sell my 480 and get a 580 now and then another when the newer cards come out. But I am thinking of waiting til the newer cards come out next year as all I want to play now is Skyrim and I dont think I shall have any problems maxing that game out... I hope.

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yea it looks good. One of the best. But Crysis 2 with DX11 update looked quite decent too and Metro 2033 still looks beast. Top 3 for me.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    This engine reminds me of the last Unreal engine. It's not the best looking one, not the best performing one, but it has the perfect balance of the 2.

If you have a decent CPU and DX11 card, it runs very smooth.

9. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    It looks nice, but I want to see it use in a different style of game, like Mirror Edge 2. I think the engine would really shine on a game like that.

10. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I loved the original mirrors edge, apart from the cutscenes. Infact I felt like some of the levels in B3 were very much like mirrors edge, especially the offices in Paris. I would love for their to be a mirrors edge 2 with this engine!

I do think that some of the lighting effects are poor, but others are brilliant and very realistic. It is really annoying when you get some levels with a stupid glare that doesn't move or go away. But that's something that can be removed or developed.
    I think the destructibility limitations compared to Frostbite 1 are probably design related more than anything else.
    The post AA gives me mixed feelings, but I am glad it's their because I have a limited system spec and it works very well with BF3, IMO.
    I think generally things do look much less fuzzy if not sharper than they do on Cryengine 3.
    IMO Cryengine 3 was really made for consoles though and Cryengine 2 could have been much better with some further development, as could the original Cryengine!
    I also think the Dunia engine was really good, but only used in one really boring game where the guns fell apart in your hands, lol
    Don't even get me started on I'd tech 5!
    Am looking forward to exploring the creation engine NEXT WEEK!!!