1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Great choice, from what I've seen, the phone is amazing for it's price.

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Pocophone has faulty selfie camera according to many XDA memebers, Xiamoi might have fixed it.

The image is very blurry unless you hold it steady and close to your face, which no one should ever do when taking a selfie.

3. moo100times

moo100times Member Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Recently upgraded to a Razer Phone from old Sony Z1 as part of new contract which was a decent price, though the Razer phone has left a lot to be desired. It started with random restarts and screen locks which appeared to be fixed on an android update, but now the bottom speaker has gone and now the screen problems returned with vengeance . So far I am not impressed, will see what their repair service is like before making final opinion as any tech can fail once, but a bit of a shame as when it works the speakers and screen are awesome, it has decent specs, and has a clean interface with a little included software that is all decent. It isn't the most ergonomic, but I quite like a big phone to hold so that isn't a problem for me, and actually more comfortable for films or gaming (or obstructing the screen with a thumb).
    Outside of this, been a big fan of Xiaomi phones recently. Great balance between tech, design and price. Only annoyed that the mi mix series has no SD card slot, was a bit of a deal breaker for me.

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Well I got a Note 8 earlier this year even though it came out in 2017. I love it. The stylus comes in handy at work and I use it all the time, although its the only time I ever use it. Day to day personal stuff it never comes out, just work. But worth it for that feature alone. I write alot of stuff down, and I always lose my pad of paper, so having everything on my phones is excellent. Battery could be a bit better but its a damn fast phone with a great camera. I gotta say though, the 18:9 aspect ratio is just strange, I think I would rather have 16:9 but it seems to be the way everything is going now.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    After a long debate, I managed to get a Nokia 7 Plus. From the hardware side, I like the device. It's not perfect, but it's ok.
    Now, from the software standpoint, I have a few questions. I have been on Windows Phone for the last years, so now Android One seems odd and somehow strange.
    How in the world can I set a dark theme mode all over without installing third-party apps or anything? In WP was easy-peasy, baked in, and i miss that dark theme dearly.
    How in the world i can manage to get rid of insane permissions from all apps and ads ? For me Android seems like a ad-fest infected mobile OS. Just a opinion, just a few hours in the Android garden and i got dizzy.

6. DustPilot

DustPilot New Member

GPU:
    intel hd 630
    I am going to upgrade to Honor 8X, because of the value it is offering. It is not overpriced and it has a great design, AI-powered cameras, which are in high quality, a huge battery and it can store a half terabyte of files. With all its advantages it is exactly what I was looking for so I am going to give it a try :)

7. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Updating my 5 year old kindle fire hdx 8.9” with the new iPad Pro 11”. Pretty excited, be here next Wednesday.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Mate 20 Pro!!!

9. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I went for cheap and was surprised.

For 219 euro, including tax, postage and packing I got an Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. It is a bit smaller (not much) than the non-Lite version. The cameras are not great, but do their job. Android 8.1 with Android One. That means no bloatware. Pure Android. 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, 2Ghz Snapdragon 625, dual SIM, expandable storage, 4000mA battery, headphone jack, micro-USB, 2280 * 1080 5.84" do with notch for front camera/sensors. Build quality appears good. The phone responds swiftly. Sound is relatively good. Battery is great.

I am satisfied. :)

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Xiaomi are the kings or low end or midrange phone with amazing hardware, and almost passable cameras :)

I'm very satisfied with the Mate 20 Pro, even though it's own pre release software still(new update in coming days...)

MadGizmo likes this.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm actually considering switching carriers and getting the OnePlus 6 or 6T..... Unfortunately, it'll probably end up being in 2019 at the earliest.

After being on Google Fi for the last couple years, I was looking at phones from a different carrier since all of the phones currently available on Google Fi are either overpriced or garbage. I was considering the XR until I saw the resolution.... For the price, the screen resolution is laughable.

metagamer likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    It's a trash tier phone for the money. Android offers so many phones that will be miles better and cost less. I know you'll do the right thing.

13. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Absolutely nothing, unless I break my phone. :D See no point in upgrading a Essential phone that is essentially working. (Pun intended.) :)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Google Fi had a "sale" on phones yesterday.... Ordered an LG G7 ThinQ....

Over the weekend my Moto X4 tried to switch carriers for no reason and lost the ability to read it's SIM card until I restarted the phone. Google Fi being an MVNO uses T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular networks in the US, dependent on location. For whatever reason it saw fit, my phone tried to switch from T-Mobile's network to Sprint's network. For some reason, the Moto X4 has issues with Sprint's CDMA network. Every time it tries to connect to Sprint's CDMA network, it loses the ability to read the SIM card. The issue only occurs when connecting to Sprint's network. I can force the phone onto US Cellular's network, but the signal is too weak so the phone jumps carrier networks if I try to make a call or send a text. So, I got around the issue by installing an app that locked the phone to T-Mobile's network....until this past weekend when the phone tried to connect to Sprint's network again. So, since I had no real issues (that weren't resolved easily) with any past LG phone (3-4 LG flip phones, N4, N5, N5x, G4), I decided that Google Fi's sale provided a good enough deal to jump on a G7 ThinQ and ditch the Moto X4..... Should have the G7 in about 2 weeks according to Google's shipping estimate.

15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    It's Samsung Galaxy S9 for me. It went on a flash sale that reduced it's price over a third, so a high-end phone happened to end in my price category. Here's hoping that the battery will last longet than HTC M9's (3 years)...

16. fenixburn

fenixburn New Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080
    I still didn't know what to choose, but I really want to buy a oneplus 6t, oneplus 7 also will be a good phone. I like this brand for clear android and low price.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Bought Huawei P30. The camera is absolutely magical in low light. In near full darkness it manages to conjure images that are perfectly usable even when my own eyes barely see anything.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    PC ofc. Building a Ryzen system this year (2019)

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    A guy at the gym had the P20 and showed me the same thing, turned the lights off and there was only a TV on, really dark but took a photo that looked like the lights were on

anticupidon likes this.
  20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Huawei offers nowadays the camera with the technology used by Chinese spies years ago.:rolleyes:
    And we are so spoiled!;)

Extraordinary likes this.