1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 4G Gaming @1500
    how is the screen lip with glass protector? recoment unicorn beetle pro if some one have alot acidental drops
    i have oneplus6 and battery mixed bag like i now start playing galaxy on fire 2 its eating less battery then youtube i can have youtube running 1.5 hours and 85-80% left

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    That's one of the reasons I chose this case, it has a lip top and bottom to prevent any screen damage when dropped, sides are lower to allow edge curve to still work, impossible to hit the screen with a drop unless you drop it onto a corner of something or a stone, which no case would save anyway, normal drops onto ground will always hit the lip of the case

3. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    I really don't know what's the "best phone" for me so far, so the question to what I upgrade is not easy to answer.

On the one hand I like BlackBerry very much. I own a BB Z10 with BB OS 10.3 and so far this is a very good OS, only the performance of my phone is crap (dual core, cannot do much with it; it lags from time to time). But otherwise I am very amazed about the whole ecosystem of BB.

On the other hand I own a Samsung Galaxy S5, one S5 mini, one S4 mini, all with their current official OS, no root. The preinstalled apps are garbage, real garbage. I do not use 99% of those, but after uninstalling they seem to get back after each upgrade. Lousy ...

And last but not least there is my Nokia collection, 1409 and 3510i, which are both still working. No apps, no internet browser, nothing "special" on them at all. But you know .. Nokia ... hit it with a bullet and the bullet starts to cry. :D

So I seek for a phone which has almost no apps installed, but there should be plenty available if I need them.
    I do not care which ecosystem it is in (AppStore, BB World, Windows Store, else).
    It should be snappy with all I do (no gaming or graphic intense stuff, but business use style like writing emails, make calls, etc.), I do not like lags.
    "Voice quality" should be brilliant with no flaw at all. That's what a phone is for. It is and stays garbage until the voice quality is good at least. It's still a phone, every other thing than voice quality is a "nice to have", but no reason to buy if the quality is junk and you cannot understand the one you are talking to.
    The keyboard should be big enough for my big fingers to type on. I have problems with my S4 mini (separated for exclusive WhatsApp use by my wife) because the virtual keyboard is too small and I hit two buttons at once or select the one next to the intended one I tried to hit.
    Because almost every device has a camera now, I prefer good pics at least, but I can do without a camera at all.
    I don't care about specific models or brands, so I don't mind if it's an Apple, BlackBerry, Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) or some HTC/Samsung/Nokia/else (Android). As long as the quality is good and my needs are fulfilled, I really do not care.

I was thinking about getting a Lumia, probably a 950 (XL?) to stay in the Windows ecosystem. The tech specs look nice:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/microsoft-lumia-950-black-a1334714.html
    (The XL one is a bit bigger, but same resolution, HW specs and everything)

Or the BlackBerry DTEK60:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/blackberry-dtek60-black-a1517352.html
    Looks nice, too, and it has everything I like. But I think the CPU power could be not enough for my needs (2+2 core). It's Android though, so no Enterprise features anymore ... :(

The last one and my favourite regarding apps installed, performance and mostly privacy is the Silent Phone 2:
    https://www.silentcircle.com/
    or: https://skinflint.co.uk/sgp-technologies-blackphone-2-a1237737.html
    But 799,- € for one phone in its basic version? REALLY??!!
    But then again ... privacy ... god damn what a difficult decision! :(

Any recommendations between these?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Went on and ordered Nokia 7 Plus on Prime day for 300€. Strangely, my bank declined the transaction, I will deal with them later.
    When Librem 5 will be launched, I will decide what to do.

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    Been using Redmi Note 5 dual camera since May, so far so good, only gripe is the headset quality is low and volume is also low and lacking carrier aggregation while the china rom has both enabled -__-

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    I was planning to upgrade but I've rooted my s6 edge with Nemesis rom.

Absolute fucking hassle but well worth the pay off, got android 8.0 features and battery duration doubled.

And then I realized snapchat and Pokemon GO disable root phones, so I had to frack around with more root cr*p until I made that work.

They really upped the security since 2011 back when I had my old Samsung Galaxy Gio.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    I think I'll probably be ending the year with my Moto X4.... It works, sorta.... The CDMA antenna is dead, but it's GSM antenna is sufficiently functional. As long as the phone maintains it's current functionality, I'll hold on to it for at least another 6 months or so....

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    No dice for my upgrade, my order made for Prime day was canceled, after a few emails forth and back they would not approve it anymore.
    No Nokia 7 Plus for me for now.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Hey, did you saw anyone with such issue? Or is this mostly a US thing?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...ard-id/GalaxySNineQandA/thread-id/2564/page/5

Would be really pissed now, just ordered one..

And apparently Samsung doesn't cover such flaw.

10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Sounds like he dropped it but doesn't want to take the blame, the back does have a layer of glass over it, my S7 did too, I heard a few people on XDA saying they'd broken it with the S7 but not many and I never had a problem, also I dropped my phone with a case on a couple of times without damaging it, that's the first one I've heard breaking the S9 glass though

Had my S9 for about a month without a case at first too, bumped it against metal weights in the gym in my pocket a couple times, still no problems

You're always gonna get those sort of complaints and posts though from clumbsys who think their phone is made from indestructible material then wants to blame the manufacturer when they discover it's not, and as soon as one person posts about it happening (but I didn't drop it) then they all jump on that same ship :D if it was a wide spread issue then XDA would be all over it, first I've heard of it

EDIT - One of those posts says "Makes me think it might be related to temp changes or flexing of the phone over time"

Phones aren't really designed to be 'flexed' :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I was really worried for a second, also posted to xda later and linked that said thread if its really happening alot,

Someone working at a&t replied and said it's exactly what you said.

Makes me feel better now. Thanks again :)

Extraordinary likes this.
  12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    S9 is a great phone, you'll enjoy it, but reading complaints in forums is like reading the possible side effects of medication, once you've done that you start thinking you've got them all :D

-Tj- likes this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well I got S9 today and Wow!!

Love it, best phone yet!
    edge display lighting is cool and handy,
    sound and its stereo speakers top, thought my galaxy alpha was loud and defined, but this is on a whole new level
    camera, top, even in complete dark, i.e. shooting the moon
    super fast in general

bixby is ok, BUT I was wondering can I disable left swipe and keep bixby button? This left swipe reminds me of my Alpha magazine menu, that could be disabled, but here idk where.

battery is ok, no real drainage, with extreme usage I saw ~ 40-45min OST @ 10% drain, this was at max display reso and no cpu power save throttling.

Didn't saw any real bloat yet, think I had more on my old Alpha, all can be removed too 99% of them (google music, google movies, google photos,etc), except for Chrome, only option to disable. I prefer Samsung browser with its add blocker.

What else, great to hold in hand, already bought 2 back cases from Spingen (thin fit and hybrid armor)

I'm using oldschool Sony Mdr-e808 , have extra mdr-e931, headphones and it sounds great too with its music player, mayybe a bit less bassy or not the way I was use to on my old Alpha, but still very good.
    It's very loud too, can't go over 60-70%. Didn't bother trying them new bundled earbuds, lol I hate these new rubber earphones makes my ears like in a pressure room, bleh :D

Overall very pleased with it, hopefully it will serve me as long as my oldies Alpha :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I disable Bixby altogether so not sure, but if you long press the homescreen you should have little toggle switch on the bixby screen, can't remember if that is for the button or the card, there is an app on XDA for remapping that bixby button to whatever you want too

Check out Pro mode on the camera, you can manually switch between 2.4 and 1.5 aperture and watch the shutter on the lens itself open and shut (Tap on the 2.4 or 1.5 button inside of the shutter speed setting at the bottom to toggle)

Goodlock 2018 by Samsung add a few extras you might like too, more Edge lighting modes and a new recents app view, can mod the notifications dropdown, and a few other things

-Tj- likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    -Tj- likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It said this is not available in my country?

This is my ost atm, 50% left. Not bad :)

[​IMG]

I had that before, its Pro here not premium, but I have to pay..

Is this similar?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.hideapps

I have this installed atm, but didn't try yet. It needs root though, had this from my old alpha

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kunkunsoft.rootservicedisabler

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    The last link looks like it does the same thing but if you root you can remove anything anyway, the one I linked to doesn't need root, looks like Samsung are once again trying to prevent people doing it, that guy has had to release like 4-5 new apps because of takedowns

Just google for the APK, it's a paid app but if it's not available then... I'm using it, it uses KNOX Admin permissions to disable anything without root, can help battery life too by disabling bloat and useless apps that constantly run in the background

Nice Screen on Time :)

Careful rooting / flashing custom with Samsung though, it trips an eFuse that is permanent and a lot of the stock apps and banking apps etc that rely on KNOX will stop working, even if you unroot that won't change

Some nice themes in the theme store too, currently rocking "Soporific UI" black & mint theme

-Tj- likes this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I won't root just yet. It's ok atm, Bixby is not so intrusive or a battery hog.

This is now 2nd day, yesterday I managed 7hrs ost by 5%, but I played some games I.e. xrally to see how it copes

[​IMG]

Brightness usually 20-40%, max screen resolution, no power save. Only during the night in idle. Aod on from 12pm-12am.

So far I'm really impressed by it's battery, Idk how others bitch so much it's crap.

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I know, I see people on XDA saying they're only getting like 2 hours SoT, they must be just hammering Super Slo-mo or some really battery heavy app, I've tested a couple of beta games that turned the S9 red hot and drained like 30% in 10-15 mins

-Tj- likes this.