1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 4G Gaming @1500
    how is the screen lip with glass protector? recoment unicorn beetle pro if some one have alot acidental drops
    i have oneplus6 and battery mixed bag like i now start playing galaxy on fire 2 its eating less battery then youtube i can have youtube running 1.5 hours and 85-80% left

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    That's one of the reasons I chose this case, it has a lip top and bottom to prevent any screen damage when dropped, sides are lower to allow edge curve to still work, impossible to hit the screen with a drop unless you drop it onto a corner of something or a stone, which no case would save anyway, normal drops onto ground will always hit the lip of the case

3. 386SX

386SX Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX970
    I really don't know what's the "best phone" for me so far, so the question to what I upgrade is not easy to answer.

On the one hand I like BlackBerry very much. I own a BB Z10 with BB OS 10.3 and so far this is a very good OS, only the performance of my phone is crap (dual core, cannot do much with it; it lags from time to time). But otherwise I am very amazed about the whole ecosystem of BB.

On the other hand I own a Samsung Galaxy S5, one S5 mini, one S4 mini, all with their current official OS, no root. The preinstalled apps are garbage, real garbage. I do not use 99% of those, but after uninstalling they seem to get back after each upgrade. Lousy ...

And last but not least there is my Nokia collection, 1409 and 3510i, which are both still working. No apps, no internet browser, nothing "special" on them at all. But you know .. Nokia ... hit it with a bullet and the bullet starts to cry. :D

So I seek for a phone which has almost no apps installed, but there should be plenty available if I need them.
    I do not care which ecosystem it is in (AppStore, BB World, Windows Store, else).
    It should be snappy with all I do (no gaming or graphic intense stuff, but business use style like writing emails, make calls, etc.), I do not like lags.
    "Voice quality" should be brilliant with no flaw at all. That's what a phone is for. It is and stays garbage until the voice quality is good at least. It's still a phone, every other thing than voice quality is a "nice to have", but no reason to buy if the quality is junk and you cannot understand the one you are talking to.
    The keyboard should be big enough for my big fingers to type on. I have problems with my S4 mini (separated for exclusive WhatsApp use by my wife) because the virtual keyboard is too small and I hit two buttons at once or select the one next to the intended one I tried to hit.
    Because almost every device has a camera now, I prefer good pics at least, but I can do without a camera at all.
    I don't care about specific models or brands, so I don't mind if it's an Apple, BlackBerry, Nokia Lumia (Windows Phone) or some HTC/Samsung/Nokia/else (Android). As long as the quality is good and my needs are fulfilled, I really do not care.

I was thinking about getting a Lumia, probably a 950 (XL?) to stay in the Windows ecosystem. The tech specs look nice:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/microsoft-lumia-950-black-a1334714.html
    (The XL one is a bit bigger, but same resolution, HW specs and everything)

Or the BlackBerry DTEK60:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/blackberry-dtek60-black-a1517352.html
    Looks nice, too, and it has everything I like. But I think the CPU power could be not enough for my needs (2+2 core). It's Android though, so no Enterprise features anymore ... :(

The last one and my favourite regarding apps installed, performance and mostly privacy is the Silent Phone 2:
    https://www.silentcircle.com/
    or: https://skinflint.co.uk/sgp-technologies-blackphone-2-a1237737.html
    But 799,- € for one phone in its basic version? REALLY??!!
    But then again ... privacy ... god damn what a difficult decision! :(

Any recommendations between these?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Went on and ordered Nokia 7 Plus on Prime day for 300€. Strangely, my bank declined the transaction, I will deal with them later.
    When Librem 5 will be launched, I will decide what to do.

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    Been using Redmi Note 5 dual camera since May, so far so good, only gripe is the headset quality is low and volume is also low and lacking carrier aggregation while the china rom has both enabled -__-

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 610MX
    I was planning to upgrade but I've rooted my s6 edge with Nemesis rom.

Absolute fucking hassle but well worth the pay off, got android 8.0 features and battery duration doubled.

And then I realized snapchat and Pokemon GO disable root phones, so I had to frack around with more root cr*p until I made that work.

They really upped the security since 2011 back when I had my old Samsung Galaxy Gio.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    I think I'll probably be ending the year with my Moto X4.... It works, sorta.... The CDMA antenna is dead, but it's GSM antenna is sufficiently functional. As long as the phone maintains it's current functionality, I'll hold on to it for at least another 6 months or so....

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    No dice for my upgrade, my order made for Prime day was canceled, after a few emails forth and back they would not approve it anymore.
    No Nokia 7 Plus for me for now.