1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

I just turn it off and use only if really needed, not to obsessed with likes, responses, posts anymore.. And its much better this way, saves battery as well lol

if at home use wifi, outside mobile 3g/h+ and it will last longer. 4g/lte eats more battery, for minimal difference, unless you need that 50-100mbit on a phone

As for phone, I'm also a bit undecided, I saw what a good chipset and and large battery does, 12hr OST with 2-3days idle.. But to get that in something fancy e.g. S9 no way.. Apparently this S9 would act kind of my current Galaxy Alpha.. 4 years innovation 2x larger battery and same endurance. Ok performance is 4x -5x more, but still.. :d

If you have the money then LG v30, oneplus 5T, pixel 2, huawei mate10pro, S9+ (S9 battery still a bit questionable), all notch-less, I hope they stop making this crap notch soon.

Lenovo Z5 did basically bezeless, camera popup or under lcd.. Still a prototype though
    [​IMG]
    https://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_z5_sketch_100_percent_ratio-news-31002.php

Edit: lol this lenovo turnout to be a crap notch phone with bezzels, talk about false advertising.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    You could if you like. But the key is to restrict yourself to use the apps when YOU wan't. So turn off ALL notifications from fb, insta, snap etc etc and do not allow it to run in the background.
    When you have the time you open and check or just wait until you are home at your pc .

3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Finally upgraded from Oneplus 2 to Huawei P20 Pro,didn't planned to upgrade this month but brother won this P20 Pro and he didn't want this phone as he have S9+ and I just snapped this phone

My Oneplus hasn't been bad, my main issue with Oneplus has been overheating and slow down with multiple opened tabs, I usually or normally have opened around 20 tabs etc and then unresponsiveness which has been just too much..

What I can say, P20 Pro is fast without the question

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan Xp
    I like my S4 so much but maybe it's time.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    Originally I had planned to stick with my Moto x4, however, after more than 4 months of the "invalid sim card" message every time it tries to switch networks, I'm starting to look at new phones....

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I'm waiting for the 2019 thread so I can write that I hope to upgrade to Galaxy X (if it exists by then and doesn't cost €2000) :)

7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080TI 11GB
    Just got a s9 +

really enjoying it.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Meizu 16 looks nice, and small too 5.6", so I guess bellow 145mm :)

https://m.gadgetsnow.com/mobile-phones/Meizu-16
    [​IMG]

https://m.gsmarena.com/meizu_16_wil..._impressive_screentobody_ratio-news-31713.php

So this would be perfect, I hate all these big ass phones.. I'm this close to get a regular sammy S9, but this meizu16 - galaxy look a like looks perfect. Also has a snapdragon845 in it so it will have enough power.

I saw normal pixel3 should be somewhat compact too and no notch, that is a possible candidate too. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Upgraded from the S7 to the S9, really nice phone, even better now I have a case and can hold it without constantly touching the screen by mistake, no / tiny bezels looks nice but is very unpractical

Only a couple of nags with it, ringtones and notifications are noticeably quieter when sounding via call/text/whatsapp, than they are when you play them as media (yes all volume levels are max), and notifications only play via the main speaker, not both like everything else does, so I have turned to Audacity on PC to amplify the audio files before copying them to the phone, works but a sucky workaround I shouldn't have to do, Samsung just ignoring all complaints about it even though it is obviously a firmware issue

And I don't like the biometrics either, fingerprint scanner on the back is a horrible place vs the home button on the S7 where I could unlock the phone without picking it up, not to mention the actual scanner itself is sucky too and fails to recognise my print most of the time, even after deleting and re-scanning them a few times carefully

And the Iris / Face alternative forces me to look like some sort of psychopath glaring at the phone while holding it up straight in front of my face as it keeps telling me multiple reasons why it will not unlock, "Hold phone closer, Hold phone level, Phone too close"

And WTF Samsung? This is a complete joke, every 5-10 shots you take with the camera, it will obscure the view finder with a dumb popup overlay message reminding me that a clean lens makes for a better photo.... NO SH*T SHERLOCK!

1. I already knew that, as do most people
    2. Even if I didn't, after you told me the first 20 times, I would remember by now
    3. If I haven't learned that I need to keep it clean after months of being nagged about it, I doubt I'm gonna listen the millionth time you tell me
    4. STOP IT!

Samsung = Nice hardware, Sucky dumbass firmware

-Tj- likes this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Buy an iPhone X :p

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Yeah even my S5 Neo is too quiet and I boosted the ringtone before copying it over as well.Ongoing issue I guess.

Extraordinary likes this.
  12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Didn't notice it on my normal S5 or my S7, maybe got lucky because not everyone with an S9 has that issue either

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Upgraded from a note 3 to a note 4, got it perfect condition for £180, then a case and screen protector to about £200 in total.

Marginally faster, but better screen and finally, a finger print scanner. 1st gen scanner though so its finicky to use and requires me to swipe my thumb but whatever. Note 5 is trash and Note 7 blows up. Next time maybe i'll try finding the note 7 fan edition.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    S5 fingerprint scanner was like that, slow swipe (or 3) to unlock

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Aye, same generation those two.

I'm not too bothered with it, you get it eventually and its far far faster than a PIN lock. Plus I can unlock it without looking at it

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    That's what I miss about the S7 having the scanner on the front home button, S9 placement on the back is just awkward, even if you are already holding it you have to kinda bend your finger and push the phone across your hand to reach it as your fingers are naturally curled around the other side of the phone to grip it, not in the middle of the back of the phone

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Hey extraordinary how is battery life?

I'm still undecided S9 or something else.. my carrier has it quite cheap, but reading through gsmarena I saw some mixed replies.

I know its not the best, but is it really that bad?
    4-5hrs OST or less?

Does it heat-up too?

Lol im still grinding my oldie galaxy alpha and it manages 4-5hrs OST on a good day, would be kind of disappointed if I got the same now.

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I get easily 6 hours screen on time but I'm not a really heavy user, mainly camera, whatsapp, texts, calls, browsing, emails, youtube, twitter, reddit etc, time drops a lot if using the camera for a long time, or using the super slow-mo feature though

Averaging 3h - 3h30m with 50% battery left, that's with GPS full, WiFi, Data, auto brightness & High performance mode enabled

I get about 2-3% overnight drain in around 8 hours

Not noticed it heating up unless I'm using the super slow-mo, and I guess heavy gaming would probably but I don't really game on my phone

-Tj- likes this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Aha sounds ok then, I do around the same, minus Twitter, reddit.

I play only a casual game funrun3, and that doesn't eat much battery :D

Think I'll get it then, shame there is no titan grey available here.. I saw Sammy will release it more in end of July, at least for Uk, dunno for the rest of Eu.

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I got the Midnight Black one, when the screen is off the whole phone looks like one piece of tinted black glass :D

Need a case though, those teeny tiny bezels make it almost impossible to hold without touching the screen, and trying to take a photo results in changing the camera mode a lot of times lol, I got the Spigen rugged armor case for £9.99, same one I had on my S7 which cost me £25 for some reason