1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    It hadn't already been created so I decided to do it.... Mostly because I was bored.

I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but I'm seriously starting to consider the Moto X4 Android One edition.... My N6P's battery life has gone completely to crap over the last year.

StewieTech likes this.
  2. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Android One is a great program, nexus like updates with a cheap phone thats usually not a bad spec. If it does what you want from a phone then great and timely updates too for 18 months.

StewieTech likes this.
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    All I need is to send texts and make the occasional phone call. As long as it can do that reasonably well, I'm happy. However, it seems to get mixed reviews much like the Pixel phones. For the Moto X4, some complain of extremely poor performance, even for a "budget" phone and others claim it performs like a "high-end" phone. Guess I'll find out when it arrives later this week. While on a trip last week, my N6P couldn't even get 12 hours out of it's battery. Unlike my N4 and N5 that got better as they were updated, my N5X and N6P just seem to get worse with every update. If the Moto X4 does the same, I'll be switching to an iPhone next go round.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    None really. 3 years old iPhone 6Plus working fine, gonna keep it for a few more years.

5. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    I will be looking forward to Nokia 8 or maybe Nokia 6 2nd Gen.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ill probably get the s9+. really enjoyed the custom rom development over the last 2 years for my s7e.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Either the Honor 8x or the Moto X4.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    My Moto X4 Android One Edition showed up today. Hard to believe it's a "budget" phone. Love the UI so far. The phone feels good to hold. The screen is beautiful and very responsive. It makes my N6P look and feel cheap and slow in comparison.

I have had 2 issues though. An "invalid sim card" message and an error produced by "configuring your cellular network". Both seem to be related to Sprint in one way or another and not the phone itself....(I hate Sprint....) Short term solution is an app called FiSwitch that allows the phone to, essentially, be locked to T-Mo's network for the time being, until a new sim card arrives. I still recommend Project Fi to anyone that it's available to that wants good, cheap cellphone service.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    I´m currently using the first gen Samsung A3 that i like because of the compact size and decent performance. I wouldn´t mind keeping it for one or two more years but the screen is broken near the home button and repairing the screen costs around 100€!!!

I´m not going to pay 100€ to repair a broken screen so now i´m thinking about a new phone. The problem is that i don´t like big phones and that reduces the offer dramatically... Normally i would buy the new Samsung A3 but know that i know the cost of their repairs i´m looking at other brands... One of the few phones i like is the Sony Xperia XA1 but i´m little insure about it´s height. I also like the Xperia compact phones but they are too expensive for my liking, i+m not going to pay more than 300€ for a phone...

Any possible recommendation is welcome.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    iPhone SE is about the smallest phone on the market....lol

Unfortunately, being in the US, that's pretty much the best I can offer in the way of small phones since it seems like most phones available here are damn near tablet sized anymore.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    My Lumia 730 is in dire need of a replacement, 1 GB of RAM is not enough nor relevant in 2018.Served me well, but i need a solid replacement.
    Now, i am at a crossroad now, i still didn't made my mind what route should i go from W10 mobile.It is Androis or IOS?
    Is it a midrange or a high end smartphone? Should i wait more and get a Librem 5 ? Or get a Lineage OS compatible device and call it a day?
    Quite the conundrum, aren't I lucky ?

12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Just upgraded from Lumia 950XL to OnePlus 5T yesterday. At last I can get the apps I want and need. Overall usability of Android has been so much smoother than Win10 it's magical.

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    I strongly suggest you get a custom ROM like LineageOS, OnePlus have been mining sensitive data from users for quite a while now. A week ago they caught em stealing credit card information if it was typed through messages (among others). Pretty scary crap.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    Probably the S9 to replace my S7

15. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Is that so? Though I'd suspect all manufacturers collect "sensitive data", there's no way around it nowadays. I never save or send such information on my phone though. Just for general protection I always do such stuff on my PC.

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Yep, safer that way; I tend to do my banking on a PC as well, I trust it more even with Windows 10 being an intrusive brat.
    All manufacturers collect a certain amount of data, but what makes OnePlus more special is that they didn't ask for your permission and they're not saying publicly what they're collecting. The thing with the bank accounts was pretty shocking. It literally has routines that recognize bank account formats and sends them back home. As long as you don't trust it you should probably be fine, I just hope they're not listening in or some crap. I reckon it would have been discovered by now, had it been the case.

17. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah that's quite alarming to say the least. I noticed Lineage doesn't have a version for 5T, just 5.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Lineage should be released pretty soon, the 5T is a pretty popular phone right now.

19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970/Qnix 1440p
    I'll probably drop my OP5 for an OP6 unless essential drops a better second phone or razer drops another one that's really worth grabbing.

If I can't have my custom roms, I might as well not have the phone. I'm still heartbroken over the loss of nexus.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    I've had 4 Nexus phones. N4, N5, N5X, N6P. Google decided to kill the Nexus line the day they signed off on the N5X. The first update to my N5X resulted in a bootloop. Each update after that resulted in the phone's performance degrading to the point of it being unusable. My N6P never got stuck in a bootloop, but it was rebooting enough that it might as well have. Between the constant/frequent random reboots, apps crashing constantly and the decreasing battery life. Even if Google hadn't killed off the Nexus line, I'd have a hard time buying another after the N5X and N6P.