What Crazy Mobo Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tokintegra, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    Hi all

My computer went down (again). I am now ready to ditch the triple sli and opt for something more reliable. I need to buy a new board asap and Im washing my hands of evga.

Parts I need it to be compatible with:
    -DDR3 memory (mines 1600 but im good with 1333 at this point)
    -at least 2 video cards (sli)
    -water block(s) on the board is a huge plus, or the availability to buy the block(s) seperately
    -support my QX9650
    -I think thats it

PRICE IS NO OBJECT - well, keep it under 500$ lol. But I need something good
    RELIABILITY IS KEY
    any help would be awesome. Im looking forward to having a reliable computer again. Thanks in advance everyone

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Pending

Pending Master Guru

How about the 790i?

3. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    790i is the only that supports SLI and DDR3 unless you want to try Intel's SkullTrail board.

4. Pending

Pending Master Guru

You would have to buy two $1K CPU's for the Skulltrail board though, and i think the Skulltrail is like $600.

5. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    I dont plan on buying a triple sli board, just dual cards is cool. Besides I have another GTX so I can make a second computer now with 2 GTX's as well.

Im desperate for a reliable, DDR3, sli motherboard.

6. Pending

Pending Master Guru

You don't have to use the triple SLI part of it you know. But i think thats pretty much one of the only DDR3 motherboard's that support SLI right now, correct me if im wrong.

7. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh of course, lol. But I already have the EVGA 790i Ultra, and I need to get the $%^# away from it.

Perhaps a different 790i? XFX or ASUS? I keep seeing bad customer reviews on all the 790i boards (about 50% bad most of the time)

8. Pending

Pending Master Guru

I had a Evga board that i had to refund so i feal your pain, even though im going to get an Evga 750i, mainly becouse all the other boards seem to be worse, well the other brands.

Pshhh... Man i don't know. I think you might be best off making two systems or getting DDR2. If you get some DDR2 Then the 750i seams to be a great choice, you can get 8 gigs for half the price of 2 gigs of DDR3, lol. Anyways, hope i could help ya!

AS for the brand thing, i dont know what to tell ya, looks like Evga got the best reviews. But if i had to go with another brand i would go with XFX, seams like (From what i have seen) That all of ASUS's formula boards are pretty crappy. I don't know that much about those boards though so don't take my word for that one.

9. hayder_master

hayder_master New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte/8800gt/512ddr3
    only 790i

10. ZeW0 ToleraNce

ZeW0 ToleraNce Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    i think all 790i/780i boards hav crap reviews. i am so far satisfied with mine, though i dont use sli and i seem one of the lucky few. w/e u get, i think it best to remove the NB n SB heatsinks and change the TIM with something u like, and when u mount them make sure they come into proper contact with the chips. i think theres a problem with bad QC w/ these boards

hope u get lucky this time