What can we do with OpenGL 2.0?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by provoko, Feb 23, 2005.

1. provoko

provoko Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Since the new beta driver came out, 75.90, with opengl support, I was wondering what exactly does it do, better IQ and/or more FPS? Also what games take advantage of opengl 2.0 and how?

Thanks.

2. Advis

Advis Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    It's just like the differance between DX 8.1 and 9.0, no real FPS or IQ upgrade. OpenGL 2.0 simply allows new effects and more specifically shader support. If you look at Doom 3 then thats the kind of games OpenGL 2.0 will power (note that doom 3 engine uses driver extensions provided by Nv and ATi to emulate effects as OGL 2.0 wasn't around at release)

If any of this Is wrong, please correct me.

3. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Well, there IS an IQ upgrade from DX8.1 to DX9.0 (more complex shaders used), but the change won't be so 'dramatic' on OpenGL, since OpenGL2.0 is almost identical to OpenGL1.5 (which wasn't an official release AFAIK - I might be wrong here).
    But Advis has a point: OpenGL effects are already supported through proprietaru extensions; it's just that now there is a standard. Which is (supposed to be) good.

4. provoko

provoko Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Do I have to do anything special to activate opengl 2.0 in doom3, far cry, etc? Special as in edit config file, console command?