What can I use to wipe off the old thermal paste?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by RKOver, May 17, 2008.

1. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I have been using a dust cloth but I have been using a clean one to clean mine off. The reason I ask is because right now, my CPU has temperature problems and it idles at about 50-60C and it's not right. I have good case cooling, a Zalman 9700 cooler on my Q6600. I use the ArctiClean 1 and 2 small bottles to remove the old paste then apply new paste. Am I doing it correctly when I put a small line of AS5 going across horizontally (gold triangle bottom left?) I am thinking of re-doing my CPU cooler by taking it off, cleaning it then applying new paste by using the AS5 method.

2. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Personally I just use toilet paper to clean off my cpu's. A little pressure with about 3 layers of it does good for me. I also put a little more AS5 on than you, I do an x from corner to corner. Then I spread it around the cpu to make sure everything is covered, use something like a sandwich bag. Not spreading it may be your problem.

BTW wrong forum.

3. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I followed the AS5 website.

4. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

I have been using Electrical Cleaner available at your local Radio Shack. Stuff works great at removing a good majority of the thermal compounds out there including the AS5. It also removes oxidation build up from aluminum and copper thus making a nice clean surface for applying AS5 to. Another fact is it does not leave any residue behind

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=&productId=2102649&accessories=accessories&kw=cleaner&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&sr=1&features=features&origkw=cleaner&support=support&tab=techSpecs
    ...and a soft cloth

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008

5. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    I use a tissue. honestly, i dont think it matters, as long as it all comes off.

6. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    inside out sock or terri cloth for me.

7. Little

Little Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    rubbing alcohol. gets very clean very easily

8. JoPiss

JoPiss Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI
    2nd, rubbing alcohol is cheap, effective and easy to find

9. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    A cheap and easy alternative is dish soap and Q-tips, has always worked for me.

10. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    +1

I do the exact same.

11. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
  12. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
  13. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
  14. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    92% rubbing alcohol. Works fine for me.

15. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    I use acetone, does the job rather well with some bog paper :)

Acetone (also known as propanone, dimethyl ketone, 2-propanone, propan-2-one and β-ketopropane) is a colorless, mobile, flammable liquid. It is the simplest example of the ketones. Acetone is miscible with water, ethanol, ether, etc., and itself serves as an important solvent. The most familiar household use of acetone is as the active ingredient in nail polish remover and paint thinner. Acetone is also used to make plastic, fibers, drugs, and other chemicals. In addition to being manufactured as a chemical, acetone is also found naturally in the environment, including in small amounts in the human body.

16. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    I used to love to "accidently" drop a disposable pen into acetone in chemistry lab in high school years ago. (We used acetone back then to make sure the glassware was dry. Not sure if they still do that.)

GLOP. GLOP. GLOP. "What pen?".

(BTW: If you use it to clean your CPU... just don't drop any onto your motherboard's plastic parts. That could be a "bad thing".)