What brand of blank CD do you use? (Durability for car stereo)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by BigBlockTowncar, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I didn't really see putting this in the general hardware section. Talking about car stereo...

I take good care of my CDs but I have noticed that most of CD's have light scratches on them. I can remember having discs for a long time that would hold up better than some of these that I have purchased recently.

I only burn MP3 cds...rarely do I burn a CDA audio disc. I don't think it matters that much anyways.

I know it is not my CD burner as I have duplicated this on 2 different computers and have tried both the windows burning utility and nero.

I bought some Memorex colored cds as an attempt to keep different genres separate, but the colored CDs seem to be crap...especially the red ones. If I burn an MP3 cd on the red Memorex discs that I have, the last 25% of the disc will skip while playing--even when brand new, no scratches. The black, blue, and purple ones don't do this as much but they still don't hold up for crap. After a month or so they are very scratched. I understand that car CD players are a little more rough on things, but I still have the very first CD that I burned which dates back to 1999...It is also a Memorex, but it still plays flawlessly and is very scratched. They must have lowered their quality, or are buying them from another company and re-branding them.

I bought a pack of regular (non-colored) Memorex cd's and these ones will burn fine and all of the music will be fine on the disc, but they are extremely fragile. A few scratches and they start to skip a lot.

Why do all of the CD-R media that I see not have the traditional disc data side? They are all blue, or light green, or whacky colors...Is this to crackdown on people making illegal copies? Real CDs seem to hold up exceptionally well and take an assload of abuse. I'd like to get some of these if possible.

What CD-R brands do you guys use for music? Memorex? Maxell? Verbatim? others? Let's not get in to the pros and cons of "why don't you just use an ipod?"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I assume you use CDs because your car stereo doesn't support DVDs. Anyway, I use Verbatim or Sony here but have no comments about them. They are all made by the same chinese guy anyways.

3. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Memorex standard non-color. Gimmicks are gimmicky. You found that out. The only other ones worth spending more money on would be Verbatim, they're "archival quality", but since I don't need my datas to be around for 12,000 years, I save a few bucks and use Memorex. They are the same as anything else out there, save for the Verbatim.

4. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Yeah, pretty much.

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I wasn't aware that you could burn an MP3 disc onto a DVD-R and use it in a car stereo that supports DVD playback...How is this done? Do they have to be converted to a movie file with no picture, just audio?

It would be nice to have more than 700mb...I'll try some verbatim discs I guess.

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    any brand whether its memorex, verbatim etc thats actually made by Taiyo Yuden, it's the best in the world in terms of reliability and quality, in case you didn't know Taiyo Yuden is the company that invented the CD.

whatever you do you should buy the real thing not the cheapo cds or dvds, usually a code should tell you if the dye is manufactured by Taiyo Yuden or not.

eg. you buy a box of JVC cds or dvds? check Taiyo Yuden codes like TYG01/G02/G03, YUDEN000T02 etc.

remember, just because a cd is labeled Memorex doesn't mean it's actually made by Memorex, it could be made by LG, Taiyo Yuden, Sony or any other brand, that's where the codes help and that's why you can buy a box of cds say Verbatim and find they suck, you buy another Verbatim box and the cds actually last several years of abuse, you think the previous box was bad, well yes but only because you ended up with a verbatim box with a dye made by EL Cheapo chinese manufacturer, not the real deal.

always check the codes and if something works for you, try to pick the cd boxes with the same code, brands alone mean nothing, that's the mistake most people do. ;)

so if TYG01 code works for you and proved reliable through the month and years, pick any brand such as LG, Memorex, Sony or whatever as long as they feature the TYG01 code somewhere on the box.

anyway if you want quality...

http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-J...C8WW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1289704788&sr=8-5

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I would imagine that you just put your mp3's on disc and stick it in the player. I don't have a DVD capable deck, just CD.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I use the cheapest CD's available and have never had a problem with them in any player, also use the cheapest dvd's and have no problems, but I use the dvd's as a disposable media.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    just use the dvd like you would a cd and burn your mp3s on to it. thats all

10. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    If your car stereo supports mp3 files and is capable of reading DVDs, all you need to do is to burn up to 4.7Gb of mp3 files in a blank DVD and that's it. That way you can use one DVD instead of seven CDs. I don't know which program you use to burn them, but I can recommend ImgBurn which is small, easy to use and free.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I personally use Phillips and Memorex lightscribe DVD+R discs. I recently find the Phillips scribe darker so I now only use them. I have never had any issues with my files on DVD+R discs and have a movie collection of about 200+ no problems!

12. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I use Taiyo Yuden dvds and I like em they are really good and the quality great.btw you know that Taiyo Yuden is now known as jvc?

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Yes, and that name stands for: Victor Company of Japan who also invented the VHS...

In 2004 I bought a 32inch CRT JVC TV which has one of the best pictures in CRT. Use the TV as a Wii gaming TV, kids love it!

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Furthermore, TY did not invent the CD as such (that would be Sony/Philips), but pioneered the invention of the CD-R. There's a difference there.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    try usb stick

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Tayo Uden

Ver Ba Tim

17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Was aboot to point that out.

18. arketah

arketah New Member

GPU:
    dell
    Memorex is the name of blank cd brand that i use every time.
    Cd Production

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    10 year old necro. Not great, not terrible.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  20. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I saw this in new posts and thought someone still uses cds? lol

Solfaur likes this.