What are your biggest regrets?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Saifz, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    What are your regrets?

care to share?

i got one

my biggest regret was not trying out for the basketball foy my school this year.
    i trained pretty hard over the summer but kept neglecting my skills... while it is true the players were much better heck i could have gotten to be a bench or something =/

however unlike some regrets this is fixable because i get to tryout next year =)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    If that's your biggest regret, count yourself as lucky.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    +1...

4. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Kind of a personal story here but here it goes:

My biggest regret is not seeing a GI doctor sooner.

In February 2011, I had to drop out of college (was in my late senior year) because of severe stomach related issues. And it's not the first time it's happened. Started back in early 2008 when I turned 20. Was able to self diagnose myself with gluten intolerance and felt much better after avoid foods with gluten (until late 2010 when everything got out of whack).

Since then I've had numerous tests done, all which came back negative. It's weird having a colonoscopy before my mom and she's 53!

Anyways, in mid-December I had a HIDA scan. Got a call on New Years from a doctor that told me that my gallbladder literally wasn't working. There wasn't any gallstones or anything but the main function to secret the bile from the liver wasn't doing it's thing.

Had surgery on Friday, was out a few hours later. Still recovering but I expect it to take at least 2 months before I'm feeling back to normal. I'm praying that this is the answer because the last time I've felt normal was in 2007.

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    replying to this thread is in my top 10.

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    celiac right?

7. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    fixed the title... my bad got carried away

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    1) Going to art school (bad idea if you're still in high school)
    2) Not quitting university sooner

2 depends on 1 though, if I had never done the first, I would've probably passed uni quite easy, but coming from art school, studying is something I completely fail at. Spent 2 years trying to study against my own will (not just a arrghh cba to study tonight moment, no, I absolutely HATED it), just wish I hadn't wasted those 2 years.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    not paying attention to electronics/low level programming classes when i was a kid

10. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I'd like to say mine would be not going to University sooner, but I couldn't (and still can't) afford it. So here I am, almost 26, with no post-secondary edumacation. In reality, though, it's not TOO big a deal, since I am having copious amounts of fun learning real and useful hands-on things in the military.

11. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Was tested for but came back negative. My aunt is Celiac (also suspect a few of my uncles as well). But anytime I have food with gluten I am feeling bloated and sick, even with the small bite. Also have a dairy allergy which causes my throat to close up. :bang:

12. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Thank you for sharing your troubles! I hope that you will now make a full recovery and my best wishes are with you! PM me any time, if you like?

As for my regrets, I tried to be one of those people who convinces themselves not to have regrets because life's too short, ha! I suppose I regret not leaving some of my previous employment's on better terms, purely for the great reference's I could have now. Storming out in a big FU is never a good idea, even if the people you work with are backstabbing bastards! I suppose I also regret not trying harder with some of the women I've met and letting them slip through my fingers! I've also lost some friends through stupidity. I think that's all - Sure I've been through a lot worse, but I don't really regret it because it's made me who I am and a lot of stuff isn't my fault!

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    my biggest regret is still in progress: hate the school, hate all the ****ing "education" but i seriously know i need to do it...

14. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I have many regrets, but the largest and foremost in my mind at the moment is that I didn't pursue the degree I really wanted. Way back, even before high school, I found I loved languages and computers. I was the shy, nerdy guy who would carry multiple language dictionaries to junior high (and later high school) every day. I then went out of state for my first quarter to a junior college simply because I was foolish and thought it would be a good idea. It wasn't and I ended up returning to another university in my current state of residence. I started pursuing a computer science degree and ended up hating the classes. The following year I started my Japanese and Russian classes and that was the best year yet. Following that year I transferred to a university I never thought I would go to because it actually offered the degree I had become interested in by that point (Japanese and at Ohio State). Fast forward to this year and I'm back at my podunk university because, as much as I absolutely loved OSU, I couldn't afford it. So, now I'm back here getting an international business degree. While I'm happy to still have Japanese classes, I honestly am completely indifferent to the business classes. They're not hard, fairly easy in fact, but they're mostly boring. I'm just mad about the whole thing because if I had started out doing what I ended up loving (and knew I loved from the beginning) I would be at OSU, wouldn't have wasted a year and a half of credits, and would be having a blast at a great university doing what I love.

My advice to anyone about to enter university? Don't lie to yourself. If you have discovered something you genuinely love (in my case languages) don't ignore it in favor of something you think you might love. But, most of all, don't compromise as you'll end up regretting those compromises in the future. Go after your passions. Grab hold and they'll send you to go places and do things you love because they are your passions.

All of that said, when I finally do have that piece of paper I can then apply to teach English in Japan, something else I've had a bit of a passion about. I have no idea where I'll be going from there, but, I just know that I have to pursue my passions as the regret of not doing so is far worse than if they don't pan out.

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I could write a book on mine. Nuff said.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    my exwife to be had her gaule bladder removed several wks ago ,she`s recovering well,unfortunatly she`s my big regret,i chose her over my ex girlfriend,good luck with your recovery

17. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    I was made redundunt last september after 25 yrs of being a baker im currently still out of work and also waiting for my redunduncy,yesterday a friend offered me work and training with him in his computer business doing webdesign and pc repair and maintenence which will be organised by the local jobcentre,i get paid to learn the new career i want and he gets paid to train me

Im 42 yrs old this year and now i get the chance to be in the career i should of pursued yrs ago but settled for the job i had in baking,the thought of learning webdesign and the technical side like networking and working with servers is scary to say the least but if i dont try now i`ll always regret not trying

So dont put your dreams to one side for later,life goes by very fast,if you have the chance...persue your dream and have no regrets

18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You my friend, Are a lucky man...Go for It...Enjoy Life...While you Can...

19. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    definatley will take this advice into account since i have another year till uni.
    problem is though i havent fully found my passion yet =S

20. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 570
    Too many regrets to call one as the biggest.
    One of the big regrets is not finishing college
    Also, spent too much on computers and stuffs I don't really need