What are the Procedures/rules around making a STICKY

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Cycloid, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    I was wondering... as a semi-noob :( what the rules/procedures around creating a STICKY post in a thread entails?

Can somebody point to the information or maybe inform me!

2. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Mods ussually don't sticky even the best threads. It's ussually just guides that had enough info about memory, overclocking, modding, or something like that.

3. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    If I want to make a STICKY in my own (sub)thread, would that be possible or do the above comments by The Kyle still apply?

4. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What?
    You want to make a sticky in your own thread?

5. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    I am *new* to ANY forums so I thought I could keep my first post on ALL pages of a certain thread as it was meant to count stuff. Not important anymore as a mod pointed out to me that my thread was totally in the wrong place and subsequently closed it. It was crap anyway... so would not have made anybody's life better!

Maybe the functionality is not there to do this, maybe it is but does not matter as t was a stupid thread to start, even if I did place it in the right area of the forums.

Hope the mods are not too mad at me :( as I really enjoy and rate the cleanness and usefullness of this sites' forums...

6. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hi Cycloid,

Which thread of yours are you referring to? I've looked and can't find any of your threads which were closed.
    What was it that you thought you could do? What did you think a "sticky" was? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Anyhow, a thread will be stuck to the top of a particular (relevant) forum by staff members if the content within is deemed important (e.g. an important notice to the users) or may simply be useful to a lot of members (e.g. an overclocking guide). As it is stuck to the top of the forum, it will be prominent to all users, which is of course the intention.

Finally, there is absolutely no reason I can think of for us to be mad at you. No worries there.

7. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    The thread was called "(un)official Inquirer CRAP vs. Inquirer Authentic thread" but the brightspark I am, I posted undeer Videocards - NVIDIA, afterwhich it was closed by a mod... think it was Martys Web who closed it. No matter, nobody posted yet. My idea was to view the thread daily, and update the first post with the totals of people who posted bogus info from the Inquirer vs Authentic. I just wanted the first post to stay on top of every page of the Thread when it got too big for one page.

Does not matter, cause the content would have been crap anyway. Come to think of it, a Poll would also have done the job... but it would still be *useless* info in the greater scheme of things running such a poll/thread (not to mention unethical, etc.)...

Seems it is Forums 101 for me... I will contact my local university (www.google.co.za) for a course after I searched the forums. :)

8. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    lol Cycloid you're funny - but what you are trying to do would be impracticle to the forum. When you say "I just wanted the first post to stay on top of every page of the Thread when it got too big for one page. " I just can't fathom why you'd want it to be in so many places...Unless I'm not getting what you are saying.

Just to make stuff easy, post a thread that doesn't have to do with computers in the Pub and see how it goes. If its a very popular thread it will stay on the main Pub page for a while. If its not popular, it will eventually fall into the land of the dead. Sometimes a dead thread will be resurrected and brought back to life for another go.

Otherwise what you are trying to do, from my judgement just isn't possible because of the content of your proposed thread and the way this forum operates contextually.

best of luck, and enjoy your forum studies! lol

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yep, if it's a popular thread it'll stay on the first page of a forum. If it's a sticky, it'll be at the top of every page in that forum.

I've found your thread and I'm not sure that would've worked. It's also not the sort of thing we stick. The Nvidia section is quite strictly moderated by Marty as it can get out of hand quite easily.

You needn't go on a course regarding forums (does such a thing exist?), if you are unsure of anything else just ask.

10. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    Thankx ppl!

You have all been very helpfull... If I struggle I will just ask! I am glad I have made a few ppl laugh! Like they say... We all were noobs once! The more I think about it, the less my idea makes any sence. Let now leave it at that!

Anyway...
    I must say the Mods are pretty active in these forums... most of the other ones that I browse it is not the case at all!

11. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well that's debatable tbh, since only about 5-10 of the 30 odd make regular appearances, but we of course all have lives outside of this website too. :p

Anyway, feel free to PM me about anything anytime.

12. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    We got no lives. Or.. The other's got no lives. I'm just here for sports. Crap.. Now that made me look like I really got no life. Anyways - Welcome to the biggest pound of knowledge found on the internet.

13. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    So she says... :p Wow, I've been here almost 4 years and still less then 1000 post. Man I need to start spamming!! Anyways welcome aboard. :)

14. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i think i know the kind of sticky you're referring to. the apple forum does this i think, where the very first post of a thread would be repeated on following pages, if the thread gets that big.

imo, ppl can get confused with a forum set up that way. i, for example, got confused because once i went directly to page 4 of a thread and notice that posts didn't make sense from the post on top, until i saw that little number in the corner that indicates the post number and saw that the top post was #1 and the one below it was #40.