What are the optimal setting to use in Nvidia control panel for RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ern88, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
    Here are my settings:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe use DSR if you have a powerful card and are running 1080p.
    You can combat the blurriness to some extent with Image Sharpening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just put Vertical sync to "Use the 3D application setting"
    At least what I did after reading the news Hilbert posted about it back in February.
    NVIDIA: V-Sync OFF Not Recommended as a Global Setting Starting (guru3d.com)
    I use a G-Sync verified compatible display.

tty8k likes this.
  2. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    That's pretty much it, frametime variance.
    It's what happens to me too, just that I noticed it much more often a while back and since then I never turned off vsync.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    ON in NVCPL and disabled in game while running full screen is in majority of cases the better option.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Merlena, tty8k and Cave Waverider like this.
  4. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    High quality and clamp filtering on texture filtering negative lod bias. Stock is lower IQ. High vs very high.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021

5. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070Ti JS
    For a good start i usually set preset to Performance, applied and then back to Custom
    then started setting everything i can thats off/disabled to Application Controlled

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    pointless

Xtreme512 likes this.
  7. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070Ti JS
    ok..
    i expect nvidia to have their own idea whats useful for performance but hey maybe some of that stuff is outdated, doesnt matter for me, there are settings i have no idea what they do but they are changed so something there helps probably, plus i dont want to spend ages figuring out impact of everything and 1% lows or whatever just few major things

8. le07

le07 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Background Application Max Frame Rate set to 20 or 30 could be good if you alt-tab a lot, although I don't know if it can cause conflicts with RivaTuner

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Does it matter for fullscreen mode (even windowed fullscreen) games?
    I don't close the web browser (for example) before launching a game.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Control panel AF can cause texture shimmer or visible filter lines in some titles so in game AF is usually preferred if available assuming it works correctly. Better to force control panel AF on a per game basis due to that I think.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    No shimmering or any kind of "filter lines" here. Least not in games I play.

12. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    It’s rare certainly, but one such example for me is Dark Souls Remastered. You can see visible filter lines forcing it via control panel in Seethe’s area for example.

Another example would be Horizon Zero Dawn which really screwed up some textures with forced driver AF (bear pelt on father for example).

These issues also occur with certain emulators like BotW in Cemu. Control panel AF breaks shadows in some situations and you can see visible filter lines.

Usually these types of problems aren't super noticeable to me and/or don’t occur in every scene, but it’s why I ultimately switched to using in game AF and only forcing it from control panel on a per game basis.

Of course many games exhibit no issues with forced driver AF, probably most are totally fine so you could certainly go the other way and force it globally then turn it off/use in game on a per game basis too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    aufkrawall2 likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I don't play Dark Souls or HZD (at least I never played it on PC). I also never played BotW in Cemu.

I'm not questioning whether it can make certain games to "bug out" but then there's games where it will have no effect or improve visuals. I'm convinced there's more games where it helps than not.

If I ever came across AF issues, I'd turn it off. I don't game that much these days. Let me rephrase, I game a lot, but I tend to play games I can sink time into. I don't play more than 1 game at a time and usually play the same game for months before I move on.

BlindBison likes this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Cool, whatever you prefer in the end of course :) Yeah, I'd say my experience has been "most" games play fine with it just not all.

metagamer likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I ddid this with my old monitor I use to do via the DV setting, with my current monitor and monitors going forward I just set colors via the monitor, had to many instance where it would reset the setting. also got tired of little differences with the "vibrancy" between drivers.

I been setting my tv with more "color" for decades it might not be accurate colors but I find standard for color to be less to my liking i basic do the same with monitor now providing I have ability to do so with the monitor

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Do you need a G-Sync module in the monitor to see the option called Monitor Technology or has it been removed?

My monitor is labelled nvidia G-SYNC but i don't see that option. All i see is Preferred refresh rate(Samsung LC32G7xT) = Highest Available, which is 240HZ on this monitor.

The only thing i change is V-Sync set to use the 3D application setting and set low latency mode to Ultra. O and i set digital vibrance to 75% also because i like the colours to be brighter.

17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3070Ti
    Is HAGS still bad? And not to be used with Nvidia ULL?

18. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 OC
    i dont use ULL but HAGS has been working better on than off on my system in games using DX12 and also resizeBAr enabled

Xtreme512 likes this.
  19. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3070Ti
    In bfv dx12 dxr, im getting serious frametime spikes. gotta test it with HAGS on then and see if it fixes it. rebar already enabled.

thing is someone wrote that ULL and HAGS cant go in joint.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Think I wrote something about that in another thread in the past, got a lot of micro stuttering with both enabled in some games.
    When I compared the two HAGS seemed to feel most responsive, not sure how that could be measured while playing games.

Off topic speculation.
    With Windows 11 Game Mode has an applikation list in Settings list, with priorities that can be changed, somehow I suspect that it might relate to HAGS in one way or the other.

[​IMG]

Xtreme512 likes this.