What are the optimal setting to use in Nvidia control panel for RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ern88, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ern88

ern88 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080
    What are the best optimal settings to use in Nvidia Control Panel for a RTX 3080. My CPU is the Ryzen 7 3700x. Thanks

2. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    I don't think anyone can answer that without knowing a LOT more info.

- What games do you play?
    - Multiplayer, or not?
    - What monitor do you have?
    - Do you prefer framerate or quality?
    - Do you prefer a totally lag free experience, but with tearing, or want a tiny bit of lag to remove tearing?

Everyone has their own preferences, and these are what typically enable someone to determine their settings. What works for you, might be terrible for me.

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    stock

TheDeeGee, flow and caleb59 like this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The only thing I adjust is digital vibrance, I set it to 75%

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You are leaving color accuracy that way. Train your eyes to like accurate colors. Leave it 50%.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  6. OldManRiver

OldManRiver Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    That causes major clipping of the color space because all you're doing is increasing color saturation. This is best corrected on the display.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  7. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I reduced mine to 43%.

What is interesting is that 46% is same as 50% on Windows8/older driver, so at some point the default colour vibrancy got changed, but 50% on a wide color gamut screen is way too vibrant.

The problem with color management been, you can tune to proper accuracy without ICC, but ICC only affects a few apps, so the tools available to end user is OSD controls and Nvidia/AMD settings.

43% on my WCG looks very similar to what 50% looks like on a native sRGB screen. So I probably need to tune the monitor but I found it difficult to fix via OSD controls. hence me going for the quick fix on Nvidia settings. My monitor does have a sRGB mode which also does the job, but I lose a lot of controls when thats enabled.

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I've had nvidia cards only since 2015
    never really felt like or needed anything changed
    what you wanna do is tweak them on a per game basis,and that depends on what you play.use ulmb+adaptive v-sync as often as possible,it really is the best combination by a mile,has been for a long time.
    that is too much for me
    60-65/68% is the upper limit or else it looks oversaturated,even on my 2716dg which looks straight up awful without some gamma/color correction.I leave if on 50% default on my other TN,it's just that old one badly needs it.at 50% it looks super bad.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  9. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    I always use (when it's possible) quadro drivers modded to run with geforce, for me colors and contrast are better, and no need to modify digital vibrance...
    Currently running quadro drivers v461.92, adaptive power mode via Nvidia Inspector, no problem with my 3070.

10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Typically the default control panel settings are mostly fine, but in particular do you have G-Sync?

I've personally started switching on the G-Sync ON for windowed and fullscreen mode which is not the default (it's fs only by default) as I've not seen issues with it on the most recent drivers (I did have issues with it in the past though so perhaps some game's still exhibit problems in windowed mode + G-Sync, i'm not entirely sure).

The other thing to change if you have G-Sync is to enable nvidia control panel v-sync to ON while turning in game v-sync OFF inline with the blurbuster's g-sync guide (control panel v-sync on globally, v-sync off in game, plus an fps limiter 3 or 4 frames beneath monitor refresh with either rtss, the driver limiter, or an in-game/in-engine limiter so you don't run into the g-sync ceiling -- basically the tldr is that v-sync does something different with g-sync on unless you're hitting the g-sync ceiling where standard v-sync engages -- look up the article for more on why this is done).

Additionally I personally set the "prerendered frames setting" for VR games to "Let the 3D application decide" then if I need to change it I do so on a per game basis same as the Low Lag settings which I leave off unless it's a per game thing. The default may not be a bad choice though as latency is even more critical in VR titles from what I gather though CPU prerendering has more pros than cons if you're CPU bound going off of posts like CaptaPraelium's FFR write up on the Battlefield V sub for example, but if you're always GPU bound then you can reduce latency by not prerendering. Being CPU limited can be a nasty thing since you won't get full utilization of the GPU and you can get CPU bound microstutter as confirmed by Digital Foundry in some of their videos (like one of their 2080 S reviews and their 3900X review iirc). Still, if you're playing at 4K with the 3080 you shouldn't be CPU bound I don't think -- at 1440p even you would be sometimes though since in those DF videos they found they were still running up against cpu limits in some titles with a 3900X and 2080 Super if I recall correctly.

Other than that stock settings should typically be fine though I think -- if you're going to use Nvidia's control panel sharpening then you may also want to check their GPU scaling checkbox globally under the sharpen tab (then I enable sharpening on a per game basis if I like the way it looks) since that "may" mean Nvidia sharpens the image post scale instead of pre scale, but I'm not entirely sure since no one's tested that as far as I know.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    All I changed when I had my 1080Ti was

Power Management set to Adaptive
    Gysnc set to On
    Texture Filtering set to Performance

Then I edited settings on a per game basis if needed. For instance for competitive games like CSGO I would enabled Maximum performance mode for the power setting and disable Gsync.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Would it really matter for gaming?

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Personal preference. I like my colors a little more vivid.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I see this question pop up every once in a while. The answer to this is that there a few things you need to know before you tweak anything. In my experience, the only settings you would ever need to change are for making gsync work better. Currently, this just means make sure "preferred refresh rate" is set to "highest available", and the "low latency mode" is set to "ultra." That's about it, really.

There are no "optimal" settings. There are settings that can be set to your liking. But to decide how you like things you first need to know what those things are. "Max framerate" for example. Do you like your games to feel as consistent as possible? Or do you want the game to be able to jump to the highest FPS possible, even if it's not able to run at that high FPS all the time? If you don't like a game running at 90FPS in one spot, then at 140FPS in another, you can set "max framerate" to, say, "100" to prevent these FPS jumps. But that's not an "optimal" setting, it's user preference.

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Generally speaking the "defaults" in the Nvidia control panel are pretty good/fine I think. I personally set the VR prerendered frames queue from "1" to "Let the 3D app decide", but that doesn't even matter if you don't play VR game's and there are some valid reasons they set it to "1" arguably.

I would say if you aren't sure what you're doing then use the "Defaults" then you can experiment with specific changes on a per game basis in a game's profile.

One thing you probably do want is the monitor set to "Use highest refresh rate" or what not, but I believe that now defaults to ON anyway. It didn't use to though iirc. If you specifically use G-Sync then you might want to enable G-Sync for both fullscreen AND windowed mode (some game's don't even have a fullscreen exclusive mode) and you can either enable v-sync ON in game or in the control panel (some games like Metro Exodus enhanced do better with in-game in my own tests). BlurBuster's has a guide you can google for G-sync setup though -- basically an fps limit 3 or 4 frames beneath monitor refresh + v-sync ON + g-sync ON is ideal.

16. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Set AF to 16x and set the texture filtering to the highest setting.

DSR+individual image sharpening settings are nice.

17. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Which games exactly? I never had any issues.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    AF to 16
    VSYNC off
    GSYNC full screen and windowed

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I wouldn't enable AFx16 on a global level, although it shouldn't hurt doing so.

With G-Sync always enable V-Sync.
    Set Low Latency Mode to Ultra if there is no FPS limiter in game or RTSS can't be used to force a limit and set it to On if using an in-game/RTSS/NVCP FPS limiter and fps exceeds the limit
    G-SYNC 101: Optimal G-SYNC Settings & Conclusion | Blur Busters

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Why not AFx16 by default? I've been doing it for years without an issue.
    Also, what would I need VSYNC for when I have GSYNC on?