1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Anti Virus do you use ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Marri, Jul 25, 2005.

?

What Anti Virus do you use ?

1. Kaspersky

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. NOD32

64 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. McAfee

23 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Avast

47 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Panda

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Norton

55 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. AntiVir

25 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. AVG

74 vote(s)
    23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    I doubt this test is correct. I mean NOD32 can't be no. 18 (,aybe because it's an old version). But I mean McAfee and Norton can't be that much ahead...

2. _BarrySWE_

_BarrySWE_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GT 256MB
    I'm am using the same.. best antivirus ever...

3. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yeah...i noticed that toO....
    i did have it on the other system.....as far as i can tell....
    that systems back to using Kaspersky....
    becasue NOD32 did'nt impress......or to say the least....was'nt any where near Kaspersky.....
    for all i know.... it could be wrong....but it could also be right....
    and yeah...it being sO down below...does'nt match the hype....its been getting....it could be inaccurate.....maybe...
    so if i were you i would'nt trust it...:D simple..

even their old results had a similar standing.....NOD32 was'nt in the top 5 or 10 list....

4. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I just uninstalled McAfee for good!!!
    The last program update tried to act like an anti-spyware program and told me that Gamespy Arcade was spyware.
    Also, it had 5 (up from 4) start-up entries in msconfig.

I've been using avast for about 2 weeks now, it's great!!!
    And btw, avast only has one start-up entry in msconfig.

5. buddee

buddee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTX
    i use panda and kaspersky, on my laptop and pc . both r great, almost caught virus over 1 0 0 0 0 0 . which is the hightst regarding to all others, symantec detects almost only 68000, and nod32 only 72000, so i believe these two r best.

6. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    norton :)

7. Talamaine

Talamaine Guest

I used to use Norton. Had the same headaches with it most people have.

I changed to PC-Cillin and loved it. I haven't gotten around to repurchasing it for the "new year" but I am currently using AVG. So far no problems.

8. BodyBag

BodyBag Master Guru

GPU:
    POV465 @ 470
    I use nod32, its the best anti virus program I have ever used, I was a norton fanboy, until I had a go with nod32. I will never goback to norton.

10/10 for nod32 for me.

9. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I didn't mean to talk about NOD32 specifically. I meant that it is strange that Norton (not the corporate) and Mcafee are that "good" as the review said....

10. Jakuchu

Jakuchu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X700 PRO (128 MB)
    First I tried AntiVir, had it about a month.

Then it was time for F-Secure, but noticed that my computer slowed down way too much with this.

Nowdays i'm using Avast!, it's simply great. Not too "heavy", but does it's job well too.

11. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    Actually despite being buggy, slow and memory hungry doesn't Norton have a high detection rate?

12. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    If you look back a couple pages in this thread a member posted the top AV programs ranked in order of detection rates. That will give you a better idea of the ranking of all the AV programs out there. What are you using at the moment for anti-virus software?

13. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Alright I have officially decided to uninstall Norton tonight and install Kaspersky (Cheers, Cheers)! I have a few last minute questions before I go for it.
    1) I had already asked about NOD32, but does Kaspersky have a built in firewall like Norton does?
    2) If not, what is a decent standalone firewall that will be compatiable with Windows XP and Kaspersky?
    3) While searching for a decent download link/site to DL Kaspersky from I realized there are a few different versions out there, for just one computer what version do I want to get?

Thanks guys, I cannot wait to get rid of Norton. Not only does it run about 6 background programs at any given time. Hope to hear from somebody soon, later guys.

14. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Actually from what I have read before, NOD32 and Kaspersky both have a higher detection rate than norton....

15. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1) No both don't have a firewall. But, Kaspersky have a separate product which is a firewall. Kaspersky also have a securty suite which contains their antivirus, firewall and anti-spam which frankly, I have never seen anyone use :)

2) Best Firewalls are Outpost, Zonealarm and Sygate. Almost anyone (including me) will recommend u one of these.

3) Kaspersky have two Antivirus programs. One is just the normal Kaspersky and one is the Pro.
    The Normal one is here.
    The Pro is here.

Now if u want to get the trial version to try it. Just click on the "Trial" link on the upper-right of the pages and choose the server nearest to where u live (It really doesn't matter, they will all work :))

Hope this helps...

16. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Once again, thank you for your help omarmakki, I realize this is the second time you have told me this info. It is very much appreciated!

17. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    np...;)

18. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Yes it does, I've had Avast identify malware on my system.

19. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    All I can say is Wow! I finally did it, I uninstalled Norton and I am glad I did it. During the uninstall process I once again realized how big this program is. I installed the Kaspersky Personal Anti-Virus 30 Day Trial version. There seemed to be some other versions available like omarmakki said but I think this is the best version for me. Anyway the program is very easy to use, the updates are quick and happen often, and I like the GUI.

Now I just have to decide on a stand-alone firewall to use. I will probably go with one of omarmakki's suggestions, zone-alarm, outpost, or Sygate. Thanks again guys for all your help. Five days ago I would have said that Norton was the only reliable and safe anti-virus program avaiable (It takes a real man to admit his mistakes, lol)!

20. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    After researching for a while on the web for both outpost and zone alarm there are once again a few different versions of each program. What version are you guys using (If you are using either Outpost or Zone Alarm)? Thanks guys I want to get a firewall up and running as soon as possible! Talk to you soon