What Anti Virus do you use ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Marri, Jul 25, 2005.

?

What Anti Virus do you use ?

1. Kaspersky

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. NOD32

64 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. McAfee

23 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Avast

47 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Panda

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Norton

55 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. AntiVir

25 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. AVG

74 vote(s)
    23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    I've been going without any AV software now for about a year with no problems although I do leave WinXP's FW enabled. I've recenlty decided to put some AV software back on my system because I just want a piece of mind but like many have no idea which version to use? Obviously there are many out there that work just fine as proven by all the post in this thread.

With that said I'd like to know how you guys go about getting Norton Corperate Version as I can't find it anywhere? Do you have to get a copy from an employer or something like that? I ask because I've heard many good things about it, especially over the home version!

Because I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff I guess I want to use an internet suit instead of two separate stand along programs (AV + FW) unless that is just a very bad idea? Thanks for any help/suggestion/opinons you can give!

2. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I'd recommend something other then Norton as it's always going to be a target for worms and other nasties. ZoneAlarm Security Suite comes with antivirus and is a far better product not to mention cheaper. There are other good suites too that are cheaper than Norton, more effective and have less problems as well as using less resources.

3. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    AnthraxPants,
    Thanks for the reply, I think that is good advice to follow. Believe me I don't want to use Norton but from my past experience it's much easier to use and setup then some of the other programs. Basically you just install it, change a few settings and your good to go. I've tried using two different programs in the past for my AV and FW software and had problems optimizing them correclty because I'm not so good with this type of software.

With that said I went through a few reviews on different AV/FW suites that also have Anti-Spyware built in and liked what I read despite all the posts against using anything with the word "Anti-Virus Suite" in the title, lol! From the reviews I read one program really stood out as pretty decent. It was "Zone Alarms Internet Suite 6.5", it has all the programs I want, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewall, Popup Blocker plus it has this option for gaming which limits alerts and alarms while gaming so your not interupted while gaming. That was something I really hated about Norton, when I wanted to game I had totally disable Norton so stop alerts and other crap from minimizing my games while playing.

Last but not least if using two different programs for AV and FW is the best way to go, what two programs play well together. For example is using NOD32's AV along with Outpost or Zone Alarms FW a good idea? On the other hand is using kasperski AV along with Outpost or Zone Alarm a good idea? Basically I want to get away from using two programs that will have conflicks! Thanks guys for all the help!

4. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    ZoneAlarm will work with pretty much any antivirus and the ZoneAlarm Internet Suite comes with Computer Associates antivirus which is a good antivirus and is setup with the right options from the start so you don't have to worry about it.

5. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    That is good news, thanks for the reply! I'm sure you have already posted this, but what AV and FW programs are you currenlty using and what do you think of them?

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The benefit of using a normal "home" suite is ease of install and to some extent control (having the control in one place). In corporate environments there are other benefits such as remote administration, license and support etc.

Suites always seem to use more memory and might have features you don't want or need. They are often not as hardened to attacks as separate components, making it a less layered protection. Personally i don't like suites and i don't know of anyone except the coming NOD32 suite i'd even want to install.

NOD32/KAV and OP is a good choice. Im using NOD32 and a router right now as im getting a bit tired of FW's but i used to use Comodo or Jetico.

To mention a few

AV; NOD32, KAV, BitDefender, FSecure.
    FW; Jetico, Comodo, OP, Look 'n' Stop.

Free Windows Firewalls:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57655

7. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I'm currently using NOD32 and ZoneAlarm and they are doing a good job. ZoneAlarm is there to stop rogue outgoing programs as I'm behind a firewalled router and NOD32 is very good at detecting viri and other malicious software, excellent infact.

8. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks a bunch Animatrix, that was some great info! Also thanks again Anthraxpants! I think I might try NOD32 as many others have also suggested it as a great AV program. One quick question about NOD32 first, does it work like Norton does, that is will it always watch out for malicious software while I'm connected or is the program more like scanner program (like Spybot Search and Destroy) that only works when you manually hit the "Scan For Viruses" button? Thanks guys!

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite and NOD32 and never had any conflicts with both of them. While Zone Alarm has a Spyware tool it has not matured yet to some of the free programs like Spybot-Search and Destroy. so it is recomended that you have that installed also.

10. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    Symantec Corporate 10.1

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    NOD32 runs in the background and it automatically detects suspicious behaviour from the system, internet, email, office documents as well as an on demand scanner with the option for an indepth analysis of your system.

12. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    When I am cleaning a system I use a combination of AVG, Anti-vir and Mcafee Stinger. For active anti-virus I pretty much only recommend AVG.

13. fat_jerk

fat_jerk Member

GPU:
    xfx 6600 gt 256 mb
  14. X-Kalibur

X-Kalibur Guest

GPU:
    Increase video memory siz
    I personally have never got a virus, trojan, worm, etc while using ZenOK Free Antivirus, its catch rate is 97.8% and that's why its the best than others with a 96.5% catch rate.

I used to have Kaspersky Internet Security but is a bit overpriced I do agree but its notworth not having to stress over stupid malware

Hope this helped people!

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Avast, Before that I was using Clamwin, before that I was using AVG, up untill, the software became bloatware that just slows down pc's way to much

I still using housecall with avast and any other AV I ever used.

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Who voted Mcafee?

People be trollin?

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Well, it is a 6 year old topic... Hence the lack of MSE.

18. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    lol didnt notice :O

19. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    lil bit off thread necroing but is MSE really that good?
    i use MSE atm but was looking of getting another virusscanner