What Anti Virus do you use ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Marri, Jul 25, 2005.

?

What Anti Virus do you use ?

1. Kaspersky

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. NOD32

64 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. McAfee

23 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Avast

47 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Panda

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Norton

55 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. AntiVir

25 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. AVG

74 vote(s)
    23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    That is a good point gsxrjunkei,
    I would love to not use anything but it makes me a bit nervous! Even though I would be considered a "Low Risk" user I still feel better having an AV and FW running in the background!

2. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for offering to help with NVFirewall! I am not sure that I will actually use it but I am going to spend some time researching it and seeing what it says in my motherboards manual (As far as setting it up and configuring it). I'll stay in touch, thanks again, that is really cool of you!

3. NORTON is a virus......avoid it, uninstall it.

any other antivirus (even the bad ones) are better. :D

4. royalt1217

royalt1217 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI x1950pro
    I went Kaspersky a few months ago, and will never go back with Norton. I have yet to get a virus that Kaspersky isn't able to delete right away, and the best part about it is the amusing Pig Squeal that signifies that you have a virus. Good stuff.

5. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Why? Norton works fine. It also has a 99.41% detection rate:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2005_08.php

Only Kaspersky has a higher detection rate overall, but uses more resources than even Norton.

Using no Firewall at all can get your freshly installed XP infected within 10 minutes of accessing the net without even doing a thing.

6. DualCore

DualCore Guest

I'm using McAfee 2006 since it came with my computer and its free for a year.

7. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    so NOD32 and AVG are clearly winning here. maybe AVG is on top becuase it's the free one. more people should try Kaspersky though, it's really great.

8. athlon64guy

athlon64guy Member Guru

GPU:
    580GTX eVGA
    i use norton, spybot: search & destroy, and microsoft anti-spyware. all three seems to keep my system clean.

9. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    which version of spybot are you using?

10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    antivir works really well...

11. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That has got to be false infromation..
    Every one knows Nortan's a resource hog..
    I dont remember clearly but nortan uses about 6 or more services , where as Kasparsky uses 2...

I've used both and its pretty easy to tell the difference between the weight they carry.....
    Nortan just simply does'nt dig it any more , quite simply because of its weight to begin with......

I tried NOD32 , it was'nt bad...but...

Kaspersky easily is the best AV .

12. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    I'm using some resources hog :D

Norton Internet Security 2003, Spybot and Micro$oft ANTI-SPYWARE.
    Yeah i know its heavy and all, (10 process) but when i tried switching into AVG, i got virus, KASPERSKY, my computer went slower then my Compaq CDS720(486DX66 now with OVERDRIVEEEEEEEE).
    hehe

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    i tested Panda IE2006, NORTON IE2006, FSECURE 2006, Bitdefender and Antivir Personal Edition(Free version), F-Secure IE 2006 were great but when i disabled it in msconfig and then try to reset it, as soon as the windows came up everything Froze, and i needed to tweak some setting to remove it then i tried bitdefender it was great but the scan too slow then i went to AntiVir and i'm stocking with that, it simple scan is so simple but so good, it DOES NOT LEFT ANYTHING BEHIND MOST OF TIMES CAUSE IT FREE VERSION.
    make ur conclusion on ur self and of course Happy XMAS!!!

14. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    I have been wondering about the amount of resources these different AV/FW programs actually use. As everyone says Norton does seem to use lots of system resources but is that different than the amount of background programs that run with the program? When I was running both Kaspersky and Outpost together (AV/FW) the amount of background programs was minimal but the amount of system memory use was quite abit higher than that of Norton Anti-Virus 2005 Antispyware Edition. I am not sure if that is worded correctly but when I would open my "Tast Manager" the "PF Usage/Page File Usage" value would increase from about 200-210 to 230-260 with Kaspersky + Outpost running where the "PF Usage" would stay around 200-210 when only Norton was installed.

I don't know how much impact that extra 40-60MB of system page file usage effects overall system performance but it is more than that of Norton. On the flipside, Norton uses more than double the amount of background processs than that of kaspersky + Outpost! I don't know if other people have seen this same thing happen with their systems while using either Norton or other AV/FW programs but what has more impact on system performance, Using something like Norton that uses less system memory (PF USage) but many more background processes or using something like Kaspersky + Outpost that uses more sytem memory but has far fewer background processes?

This is of course leaving usability, detection rates, ease of use, etc.. out of the equation. So has anyone else noticed this happening with their AV/FW programs, and what do you think is better? Thanks guys

15. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Hey Guys,
    Sorry to post again but I didn't have enough available character's to add to the above post^^. Alright now that is out of the way, I have a quick question. Ever since I upgraded my motherboard and graphics card (and rebuilt Windows) I have been getting tons of little popup messages on my computer's lower right-hand side right above the clock from Norton that are driving me nuts! First of all I will let you know what the message says:

Norton Interent Security
    Rules Automatically Created
    For Windows Program: Generic Host Process
    For Win32 Services
    OK

That is probably not exaclty what it says but it is very close to that. Also there is a little OK botton below the message that you have to click to make it go away. I thought I could just ignor it but no matter what your doing it makes you click the OK button before you can continue with what you were doing.

I have searched through all my Norton Anti-Virus settings looking for some way to turn off the popups but have had no luck! I imagine there is a way to shut them off, please if anyone knows fill me in before I go crazy. Thanks again guys!

16. NvidiaRox

NvidiaRox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
    PCcillin makes a very good antivirus software and since i do that all do i know what work, macafee is one of the worst fyi

17. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Go into Administrative Tool/Services. turn off the Norton. And get jv16 PowerTools to.

18. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Amount of services used does not necessarily mean high memory usage. It's less than 80MB for me. Not exactly 'a hog' when it is using under 8% of my memory. Norton being a 'resource hog' is common misinformation, since the memory usage has declined in recent versions.

As I said before, Firefox takes up much more resources with a few tabs open than all of Norton's services combined, and Norton offers really good security, especially compared to most (especially freeware) antivirus, so the memory usage/protection ratio of Norton is very competitive with other commercial antivirus programs right now.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    avg antivirus...

windows firewall, and adaware se professional and MS anti spyware. all very good

20. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Clements

well to make things simple , my system slows down with Nortan (i've used 2005,2004,2003)
    Have'nt used any after that...
    Its quite close to McAfee inturms of bringing the system down...

I know this since i play games quite alot...my FPS are'nt where they should be when having something like nortan on my system..
    Plus my CPU scores in Aquamark fall as well...losing 1000 to 1500 points in total , something that does'nt happen with kaspersky...
    I have a 700Mhz AMD as well...
    That system slowed down quite alot after installing Nortan...call it less memory or what ever , i and those who use that PC together noticed the difference between Nortan and Kaspersky...

Plus if you check feed backs of those who've used Kaspersky over Nortan , they tOo say what i do...(besides you and a few others :p)

Services do make alot of difference... (since that tOo is related to memory usage)
    10Services as mentioned above is no joke...that is some serious over head...

well thats my experience...i dont mind you being happy with Nortan..